1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/1/21 7:58 a.m.

Looking in my shop I find most of what I need to make a Jaguar XKE. Body molds,  engine/ trans/rear end, a lot of suspension pieces. Wheels,

Important missing pieces is the rear Monique .  The front sub frame. 
 The front sub frame is a simple square tube frame I'll have no problem duplicating.  I can make the essence of the rear Monique  and cover it with fiberglass to be a replica of the original. Considering so many XKE's have had serious work done replacing Front sub frames, floors, rocker panels etc.  would a replica chassis be out of line if I can keep it inside the $2000 budget?  

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/1/21 8:14 a.m.

Are you a victim of unintended autocorrect?  Are you talking about the rear monocoque rather than the monique? 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/1/21 8:19 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

He's talking about Mo'Nique's posterior.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/1/21 8:43 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You can build whatever you want because we know it won't make it to the Challenge. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/1/21 8:47 a.m.

Sub frames don't matter for Challenge eligibility. 

Monique probably has a nice rear end. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/1/21 9:09 a.m.

does the xke have a frame or does it use a unibody? Here's the rule you need to read carefully (and no one here can give you a straight answer because we all already disagree). haha. 

Eligible Vehicles:

Any four-wheeled, production-based vehicle that was originally sold as a passenger vehicle is allowed.

Vehicles may either retain production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures, or they may use a tubular frame provided they retain the production body.

If the vehicle uses a tubular frame, then modification of production exterior bodywork is only allowed provided the end result is substantially similar in general appearance to the original vehicle. Sweet box flares are specifically allowed.

If the vehicle retains production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures, then exterior bodywork modification is unlimited, provided no safety rules are violated. Production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures may be modified to alter a vehicle’s wheelbase.

Vehicles that don’t fit these requirements may ask to run for exhibition only. Vehicles running for exhibition will be marked with “Exhibition” stickers.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/1/21 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

It uses both.  The front 1/2 is a one inch square tube sub frame that weighs 22 pounds.  Yeh ! I know that's light. It's 24 gauge metal ( thinner than the body sheet metal) brazed together not welded . That holds a 730 pound ((760 for the cast Iron block 6 cyl. )) plus transmission and everything in the front 1/2 of the car.  
The back half is a Monocoque.    ( yeh!, I trained the auto spell check that such a word does exist ) or Unibody.   It doesn't have frame rails as such.   
The really remarkable thing is how well it survived the mandated Crash test. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/1/21 1:41 p.m.

So how NSFW would these two images be once one mashed together!

Nollywood actress, Monique Samuel flaunts her alleged newly done bootyJagur E-Type Engine Side Frames | Martin Robey Group

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/1/21 1:45 p.m.

She's more 427 Cobra than XKE 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
2/1/21 2:48 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

He's talking about Mo'Nique's posterior.

Funniest thing I read today 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/1/21 6:54 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

The advantage of this is I could probably race it with a lot of the Vintage groups.  If I start out with a stone stock engine few will complain about originality.  Then gradually move up to something closer to its potential.  

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/1/21 6:57 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

So why ask in the Challenge forum about rules for it?  Shouldn't you be asking those groups?  Actually shouldn't you be building the XJS and not adding more work onto yourself?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/1/21 10:11 p.m.

If I'm gonna build a race car it's going to be a Jaguar and I'd like to do it cheap.  
ive got 5 gallons of resin. A quart of catalyst, yards and yards Of Fiberglass. Plus Gelcoat PVA etc. 
Plus I've got all this equipment sitting around waiting to be used.  Welders, grinders, you know chassis building stuff.  
     Oh and I won't be driving to and from Florida. I'll do my own Challenge here in Minneapolis I'll piggyback on a local autocross and drag race. 
 Won't be apples to apples but it's something. 

Why not just build the XJS?  Because it's too nice.  If you've been following the Jaguar market. Cars that once sold for $1000 or less are now solidly over $10,000. In England they are at nearly 2 times that. 
The British are over here quietly buying up solid rust free examples and then carefully restoring them to a very high degree.  A local person bought up 6 cars and quietly more than doubled his money selling them to overseas buyers. 
      Where Americans are intimidated by the unfamiliar others see opportunities. 

In reply to frenchyd :

Just paid $625 for one and it's a Supercat devil (2005 XJR)

The plan is to install all of the fiddly bits into another loved and misunderstood Euro trash can. Waiting for the one I want to get stripped.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
2/5/21 7:10 a.m.

I paid $400 for my v12 XJS. It has a Lister bodykit. Find me a British buyer Frenchy devil

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/5/21 7:48 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I have a feeling these British buyers are as common as 500hp Jag V12s using factory parts. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/5/21 7:50 a.m.

Speaking of Jags, I'm at the junkyard. Someone finally put one up on a pedestal for Frenchy. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/5/21 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

So the guy that always tells us how cheap Jags are... now will not race one cause its worth too much? Or did I miss something!

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
2/5/21 7:54 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Yes, apparently they went from cheap to find and race and not worth a whole lot to being worth too much to race lol

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/5/21 8:16 p.m.

You are right.  I was lucky enough to buy a car at the bottom of the market and now the market is going up. I didn't buy it for that reason but I'm willing to take advantage of good timing.  
  I bought my XKE V12 for $300 and now they are selling north of $65,000. 
  Newer Jags are cheap now.   While I'm not interested in them, others should be.  Look at how well they performed in the Challenge and those were complete drivers not gutted out racer cars.  
The Right hand drive British XJS may be back on the market.  While the floors are rusty, that version has 29 more horsepower (61 more than a Chevy 454 ) with the driver on the right hand side. Plus it's about 600 pounds lighter than the American version. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/5/21 8:17 p.m.
yupididit said:

I paid $400 for my v12 XJS. It has a Lister bodykit. Find me a British buyer Frenchy devil

For $400 I'll take it.   

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/6/21 1:50 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

frenchyd said:

yupididit said:

For $400 I'll take it. 

I often wonder if he misses the point on purpose, just to give ya a hard time, or if his reading comprehension is really that bad.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
2/6/21 9:06 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Lol if he didn't miss the point then he'd have to backup his claims. 

All in good fun though. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
2/6/21 9:22 a.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) Forum Supporter said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Just paid $625 for one and it's a Supercat devil (2005 XJR)

The plan is to install all of the fiddly bits into another loved and misunderstood Euro trash can. Waiting for the one I want to get stripped.

I want to hear more about this XJR ! ! ! (supercat)

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/28/21 10:17 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Is it the six cylinder or V8 ? 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TEr78l3UTsRhMHO7wmEFRNWCeNZzRznLUPnrAYKRbJzA4d1UmEAjUUZqsXhX3TWy