SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/29/19 9:11 a.m.

I appreciate the efforts preparing the rules. 

The holidays are a really good time to get started on a Challenge project, but it's a little hard to begin down a path when the rules have not been solidified. 

Any chance they can be posted soon?  

If necessary, maybe the old rules could be put back online, with the areas highlighted that are under consideration?

Thank you!

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/30/19 4:13 a.m.

^^^^ what he said ^^^^

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/30/19 8:02 a.m.

It's my next project after the Black Friday craziness is over. I've done all the thinking and made some decisions, now I need to put pen to paper. No major changes. 2019 was a great event and I'd like to not screw it up.

For 2020, no changes on core charge rules.

Highlights:

• The insurance company vetoed nitrous during the autocross. You may only use it during drags and concours. 
  • Revised format that is clearer to read and more clearly emphasizes that there are only a few safety exemptions.
  • Combining the FAQ into the rules so you don't have to be a forensics expert to read them.

Ok, there is one major change: rather than DQ for going over budget or not having your stickers applied correctly, you'll be docked concours points. Stickers not applied exactly as sticker guide requires=10 point deduction. Every dollar you're over budget is a 1 point deduction. 

Tom Suddard
11/30/19 8:04 a.m.

Oh, and I'm testing a few ideas for digital build books that would make sharing your stories with the rest of the internet easier, but there would be a grace period of a year or two for something like that assuming it works. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/30/19 8:10 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Oh, and I'm testing a few ideas for digital build books that would make sharing your stories with the rest of the internet easier, but there would be a grace period of a year or two for something like that assuming it works. 

It would be great if currently "in process" Build Threads could transfer into the new format without too much effort. wink

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/30/19 8:21 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Thanks, Tom.  We appreciate what you do!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/30/19 8:26 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

It's my next project after the Black Friday craziness is over. I've done all the thinking and made some decisions, now I need to put pen to paper. No major changes. 2019 was a great event and I'd like to not screw it up.

Ok, there is one major change: rather than DQ for going over budget or not having your stickers applied correctly, you'll be docked concours points. Stickers not applied exactly as sticker guide requires=10 point deduction. Every dollar you're over budget is a 1 point deduction. 

No major changes-Thank you. It produces good cars with an impressive variety of approaches competing for top spots.

Stickers-I was an offender mostly out of a lack of understanding of how serious you guys really were, and running on challenge autopilot. I've cut them for aesthetic appeal every year so it's what I did this year.  My mistake and I'm sorry for any drama it may have caused. I would like to plan ahead this year. Will the sticker design be similar?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/30/19 8:30 a.m.

Can you re-post the 2019 rules for reference until the new ones are complete?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/30/19 8:32 a.m.

Stickers...

They don’t fit on some cars. It doesn’t seem fair to penalize someone for showing up with a Subaru 360 or an Isetta. 

This seems like a conversation with the sponsors, not a penalty for the participants. 

gumby
gumby Reader
11/30/19 9:45 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

https://2000challenge.com/rules/

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/30/19 10:09 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

Thank you. That page was not accessible for a while. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress New Reader
11/30/19 3:30 p.m.

I'd love to see everybody's build book online. Offering a couple of concours points for teams that take the time to digitize them would probably do the trick.

bigben
bigben Reader
12/7/19 12:33 a.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

I'd love to see everybody's build book online. Offering a couple of concours points for teams that take the time to digitize them would probably do the trick.

I was thinking of posting mine ahead of time as a Google doc but didn't get around to it. For me I think the digital build book is easier to put together since you can just drop digital photos of the car and receipts into onto presentation slides. If you need a hard copy just print the presentation in color and drop it in a three ring binder.

bigben
bigben Reader
12/7/19 12:40 a.m.
SVreX said:

Stickers...

They don’t fit on some cars. It doesn’t seem fair to penalize someone for showing up with a Subaru 360 or an Isetta. 

This seems like a conversation with the sponsors, not a penalty for the participants. 

Yes. Can we please have a sticker pack for small cars? Especially the windshield sticker. A great big straight sticker will never look good on a small curved windshield. And it's also nice when your view of the cones is not blocked by a disproportionately large banner.

One last request on stickers: can we get ones that are a bit less sticky? I'm tired of loosing paint everytime I attempt to remove the stickers.

Tom Suddard
12/8/19 9:00 a.m.

I'm locking this thread to focus discussion on the $2000 Challenge Rules Finalization Thread.

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
FPlLJyTGZbUJx6sZJoVYybLs6jMRiC3Yqj6pI4iP0152FjxCh85ZIo2EL0kbTCm2