1 2
Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
11/19/20 1:33 p.m.

The reason I'm posting this here is to verify the budgeting of winning such a thing.

Here is the lowdown.  It's $50 per entry and 50 entries total. So I have a 1 iin 50 chance of getting a bunch of parts for $50.  1 of which I really need for my planned build for the 2021 challenge.  The additional parts could replace the junkyard parts that I've already gathered.

They are currently at 19 entries after my entry this afternoon.  They are guessing that they may be drawing for it next weekend, once it sells out.  This is my first, and maybe only, social media raffle.  I'm usually wondering why anyone would do these.  Then I saw this one and, because of the parts gathered, they got me.  Then I was thinking that if I won it, would the budgeted amount be $50?  That convinced me to give this one a go!  Plus if I happen to not win, unlikely...I know, then there is no budget hit since it's then just an unrelated waste of $50.

I don't remember this being covered in the rules on budgeting, maybe I missed it or there is a similar situ covered?  So the question is, if I do win this raffle, is the budgeted amount for these parts the $50 entry fee for the raffle?  The raffle is available to anyone to enter.  I do not know the individual doing the raffle, not even sure of his location, but shipping is included so...  I found out about this raffle from a guy that does tuning that I follow on Instagram who does lots of these raffles.

Thanks for your time!  Let me know your thoughts!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/19/20 2:00 p.m.

If I win one of those raffles for 2 corvettes, but I only spent $100 on tickets, should I be able to enter the 2021 corvette I won?

This seems like a use case for FMV, though I'm open to good arguments otherwise.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/19/20 2:23 p.m.

Sounds like fmv to me.  I won $300 ebay bucks from the virtual concours d'lemons and while I bought challenge car parts with it they're not free.  

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/19/20 7:41 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

If I win one of those raffles for 2 corvettes, but I only spent $100 on tickets, should I be able to enter the 2021 corvette I won?

This seems like a use case for FMV, though I'm open to good arguments otherwise.

When they were raffling off the Hellcat at the Challenge last year I asked Tom this question directly & he said yes, if I'd won the car it would be Challenge eligible. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/19/20 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

But you still would have lost to the Nelson's in the drags.  I love telling that story when I explain the Challenge to people.

11/20/20 7:20 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

And would have been obliterated on the autox too, but I could have sold it to someone for enough $$$ to build & campaign a dozen or more real Challenge cars. 

CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter)
CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/20/20 6:57 p.m.

I see it the other way-if you enter a raffle and win parts then the price of the ticket goes into the budget. You won't be able to recoup more than the value of the ticket, but would be able to trade them. 

The Nelson vs. Hellcat story is amazing. Wonder what Garlits thought about the whole thing.

11/20/20 11:58 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) :

I only walked up to the man & asked for a pic with him, but my general impression was that he seemed pretty bewildered by the whole scenario.

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
11/23/20 3:15 p.m.

Thanks for all the input on the question!  I payed for a spot in the raffle and then rethought about my logic on it.  Figured I should run it by y'all before I win the raffle!  Keeping a positive attitude here!

Completely unrelated update, I believe I just secured a gig for next year!  If their schedule stays the same as planned for 2021, I may be working the same weekend as the 2021 Challenge!  I have most of the parts already gathered for my 2021 build.  If I complete it...I may need to send a teammate to compete in the thing for me?  If not, I feel my motivation waning already!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/23/20 4:34 p.m.

In reply to Catch22 :

Sure.  Not really any different than me borrowing a car to run this year.

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
12/12/20 9:31 p.m.

Update after they sold out the remaining spots, the Waffle drawing took place earlier this week...

Somehow, I didn't win the thing?  I'm just wondering what did I do wrong?

On a side note, the biggest reason for entering the waffle, was for one of the main parts included in it.  I've been searching for that part in the junkyards for over a year!  I was able to finally find one in a Jacksonville Florida junkyard on Tuesday!!!  I then spent 2 days in 2 different Savannah area yards as well!  It was a great week junkyarding!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
12/12/20 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Catch22 :

Wish I had known you were nearby.  I always love a junkyard run.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
12/21/20 9:24 a.m.

I'm sure internet "waffles" have all the integrity of a recent election.   In North Korea.  One person got $2500, his buddy got the "waffle" prize, and 49 others were only out $50, so they didn't lose enough to warrant further investigation into the scam.  Taxes weren't paid, permits weren't acquired, and laws weren't followed.  I pretty much guarantee using waffle instead of raffle means they're not following laws.  

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
12/22/20 7:55 a.m.

Tom has been begging people to take advantage of this loop hole. Its partially why i enter everything i can now lol

12/22/20 9:44 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

It would definitely make a good story & the reality is whatever you won probably still wouldn't place that high in the Challenge. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
12/22/20 10:02 a.m.

very true. i always enter sweepstakes for T56 transmissions, turbo kits, superchargers, complete engines, stand alones, etc. just things that would be way out of reach normally. 

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
12/24/20 1:32 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to Catch22 :

Wish I had known you were nearby.  I always love a junkyard run.

Hey Stampie...where is home base for you?  Jax/Savannah?

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
12/24/20 1:36 p.m.
surfshibby07 said:

Tom has been begging people to take advantage of this loop hole. Its partially why i enter everything i can now lol

I think that was my first and is likely my last waffle!

Same situation here on the waffle including parts that had been unattainable from the junkyard for me for over the last year of searching.  Just funny that while waiting on the waffle I located the part in the junkyard, that I'd been searching for!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
12/24/20 5:30 p.m.

In reply to Catch22 :

I'm in Jax.

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
12/27/20 6:48 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to Catch22 :

I'm in Jax.

I'll keep that in mind and touch base the next time I head up that way!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
12/27/20 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Catch22 :

10-4

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/27/20 7:12 p.m.

I won a brand new scion xb in a radio station contest back in 05, unfortunately it would've done terribly in the challenge. I could've horse traded it for something that would've done decently, but I feel that would've trampled the spirit of the competition. 

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
12/30/20 4:58 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I won a brand new scion xb in a radio station contest back in 05, unfortunately it would've done terribly in the challenge. I could've horse traded it for something that would've done decently, but I feel that would've trampled the spirit of the competition. 

A trail of trades would be super interesting to follow along with!  Just saying!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
12/30/20 9:05 p.m.
surfshibby07 said:

I won the grand prize in a Facebook contest for car people about 10 years ago where there was no entry fee. Would the prizes be free to a challenge budget? Not that I'm even considering but I'd imagine a lot of grumbling behind the scenes if I showed up with a car I have that would qualify. I basically got to order anything I wanted from each company for one car, and have not used any of the parts yet.

Prize list

Full Flowmaster stainless exhaust system.

Full Hotchkis suspension system.

Full MSD ignition system.

Full set of custom Rushforth wheels

Full set of Yokohama tires.

Full set of Baer brakes.

Redline fluids, cases of whatever I wanted.

Go Pro camera

Huge pile of Hot wheels stuff.

Now, I have a low mileage 81 Malibu I bought for $300.00 back before the turn of the century. I did the body & paint back about 15 years ago before paint prices skyrocketed so maybe $500.00. Bought a few reproduction parts I wanted and swapped my labor for other things like a Grand National rear, and all the parts to rebuild a SBC 010 block 357 fully balanced with forged pistons etc. My brother had left the block, a bunch of good # heads and a complete SBC engine I started with at my moms house for at least 20 years and mom asked me to junk them when she sold the house, brother didn't want them. Since I was working in a machine shop there were no shop expenses because I did all of the machine work, balancing, porting, and what not after hours. The trans is a T-400 with a shift kit a member on another forum (I'd never met in person) gave me (with convertor) for free. My budget without even using recoup from selling the Go Pro and some of the hot wheels stuff (most I gave away) would still be below $2,000.00.

I'd have a lot of explaining to do in the concours about all of the other work I've done to the car with very, very, little cash spent. Most people including other competitors wouldn't believe it could be done for under $2,000.00 and the questions could go on for hours. I'm still looking for a trade or dirt cheap deal on a new vinyl top to put on it but otherwise just mechanicals I already have need to be finished. Thread here about the car https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/81-malibu-performance-therapy-project/23056/page1/

Building this car with all of the contest parts doesn't really seem like it would be fair to those working within a typical challenge budget. 

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/a8c2308f-1dfa-4366-aed7-899fb94c50f4/p/bb78a863-0591-4926-a46a-5e6fb65fb54e][/URL]

12/31/20 5:43 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

I'd clear it with Tom, but if you have documentation on the parts you won in the raffle it sounds like they'd be budget exempt to me. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JTWbcLLtleIkVuqRAegY4I5LBPKxux0uaI1kD6EXdKovOLGKVJbg8iEANwu2fPHA