Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/11/19 8:29 a.m.

My sm7 slicks are harder than a rock. 

I want one more event out of them: the challenge. Thats it. 

Im seeing a lot of recipesfor softener, with different application methods. 

Im looking for CHEAP. apply at home weeks before the challenge, wrap in saran wrap, mount up in Florida and send it.

Looking for max grip over 10 runs. Tires will probably be tossed after challenge. 

What are your recipes and application methods?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/11/19 9:26 a.m.

low-odor mineral spirits.   rectangular tupperware container.   4" foam roller.

stack tires.  fill container with mineral spirits.  using foam roller, treat the mineral spirits like Frank's Red Hot.  let it soak in, and do it again.  and again.   and again.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
9/11/19 9:46 a.m.

I've used 50% Xylene and 50% Toluene.  It's good for at the track because it works quick. I already have kids, so I'm not worried about genetic mutation.

chada75
chada75 Reader
9/11/19 5:48 p.m.

One coat per tire of wd-40 twice a week for three weeks. Better to apply heat to said tire before apply WD-40. Should soften it by 5 points on a Durometer. Set Air pressure on the high side of what you will run or what the Max psi is on the sidewall. If you got a grinder pad, lightly sand off the top layer before Applying the first time.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
9/12/19 2:07 a.m.

I have been using this on the used SM7 hoosiers(several sets) that I have been taking to the challenge for the last 4 years. works great as my results show and they are a Challenge sponsor too! I figured a serpentine belt is almost like a tire with synthetic rubber and inner cords so why wouldn't this product work? Ive been trying to tell people at the challenge but no one listens.... well maybe stampie did idk.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/12/19 10:55 a.m.

In reply to echoechoecho :

I always listen to you. Whiskey might make me forget later but at least I listen. 

Dusterbd13-michael
9/12/19 11:04 a.m.

Hmmm....

Mineral spirit every few days until the challenge, belt dressing day of? Or am i going for too much?

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
9/12/19 12:12 p.m.

You have not told me that at a challenge yet. 

But you never cease to impress!

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
9/12/19 12:25 p.m.

Certainly seems to make sense to me. What's your method for using it? 

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
9/12/19 4:16 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

I use about a whole can on a set of tires(4). I'll just spray it on when I get the used hoosiers. I don't wrap or bag them either 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/13/19 8:46 a.m.
echoechoecho said:
Floating Doc said:

I use about a whole can on a set of tires(4). I'll just spray it on when I get the used hoosiers. I don't wrap or bag them either 

Do you find that they're good to go as soon as they're done or do they need to be scrubbed in after treatment?

I once used WD40, just slathered it on with a paintbrush...it softened the tires but they were a bit slippery for more than a full autocross.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/24/19 6:36 p.m.

I am currently two applications of mineral spirits in. Slick's are already noticeably softer via the thumbnail test

Dusterbd13-michael
10/15/19 4:51 p.m.
echoechoecho said:

I have been using this on the used SM7 hoosiers(several sets) that I have been taking to the challenge for the last 4 years. works great as my results show and they are a Challenge sponsor too! I figured a serpentine belt is almost like a tire with synthetic rubber and inner cords so why wouldn't this product work? Ive been trying to tell people at the challenge but no one listens.... well maybe stampie did idk.

So, bought a can. Sprayed a patch on one tire. Feels greasy as hell to my hand a few hours later. 

Normal, or am i doing it wrong? 

bigben
bigben Reader
10/22/19 12:31 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

So what's the verdict on the belt conditioner? Does it look like it will work?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nj5lA80fuNySmxOBE7JIZCc2krevmVS3D88ujJIovcCmLHeVc2WrQtHic9CUH1sP