1 2
Ashyukun
Ashyukun New Reader
10/8/12 9:53 p.m.

Going to try one last time to find a home for this before it gets tossed into the back of the truck I'm going to be scrapping in a few weeks...

This is a Mazda 13B normally aspirated 1.3L 2-rotor rotary (Wankel) engine from a 1988 RX-7 Convertible. It came from my parts car and shocked me by not only running, but running quite well- I drove with it in the car for several years until I rebuilt the car's original engine and pulled it back out. It isn't perfect- one of the water jacket seals doesn't hold pressure right, so over a while of running it will pressurize the coolant system and push the coolant out into the overflow. It's easily rebuildable- at worst you might need a new iron for it if the damage isn't to a seal but a hard part.

It comes with pretty much everything necessary to make it run. I would say EVERYTHING, since I had set aside everything necessary to potentially use it down the line for a Challenge car, but the secondary port actuator attach point on the lower intake manifold was damaged- depending on how you set the engine up though, this could be a completely moot point.

In stock form, this engine should make 150HP and revs like a banshee- from an engine roughly the size of a beer keg and that weighs roughly 300lbs. I've heard that the engine mounts on the older Miata models is identical to that of the RX-7 as an idea- alternatively, it could make any very small car go very fast for less weight than its stock engine.

It (along with me) is located in Lexington, KY. You'll have to come get it, or arrange a bit extra for me to arrange to bring it to you (likely the cost of gas, beer to bribe a friend with a truck, and a bit extra for my time).

If you come and get it and have a big enough truck, you can have the other RX-7 convertible parts (rear subframe, front subframe...) as well for the $100. I'd much rather see someone take and put this stuff to use, but it's taken up far too much of my limited garage/storage space for too long- so if it's not gone by the time I get the engine/tranny pulled from the truck I'm scrapping and send it off to its end, all of this will go with it.

corytate
corytate Dork
10/8/12 10:19 p.m.

I'd love to get that, if not to power the z car, then at least to learn rotaries with.
I wouldn't have the extra money for a few months though=/=/=/=/=/

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
10/8/12 11:02 p.m.

This guy is in TN and would probably be interested in all of the parts:

http://www.rotaryresurrection.com/2ndgen/index.html

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/9/12 8:02 a.m.

Damn, damn, damn. So close, yet so far. PLEASE DON'T SCRAP IT.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
10/9/12 8:32 a.m.

Psteav! He is looking for this very motor!

psteav
psteav HalfDork
10/9/12 8:35 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: Psteav! He is looking for this very motor!

That's an S4, I need an S5. BUT....I might be able to make it work? Let me do some more digging.

For that matter, I have a friend in Lexington I need to go visit.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun New Reader
10/9/12 9:54 a.m.
psteav wrote: That's an S4, I need an S5. BUT....I might be able to make it work? Let me do some more digging. For that matter, I have a friend in Lexington I need to go visit.

IIRC, the S4 short-block is the same as the S5 except for the center iron; the major differences were in the UIM/LIM that gained the extra few HP between the S4 and S5.

I do have someone from Richmond in the RX-7 community who has expressed an interest in it, and I'll find out whether that looks like it will work out this afternoon when I call him up. I'm not calling it a done deal yet, so stay tuned...

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr Reader
10/10/12 9:54 a.m.

There is no egr on an s5 but there is on an S4. You will need a block off plate for it.

You can use your S5 manifolds just fine on the S4 keg. There is one port that is different (missing) on the S4 that the S5 center iron has. It is not a big deal and doesn't effect performance. Your S5 manifolds will seal against the S4 block.

I just got finished going the other way and I have an S5 LIM connected to my S4 UIM on the S5 block.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun New Reader
10/10/12 10:31 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: There is no egr on an s5 but there is on an S4. You will need a block off plate for it. You can use your S5 manifolds just fine on the S4 keg. There is one port that is different (missing) on the S4 that the S5 center iron has. It is not a big deal and doesn't effect performance. Your S5 manifolds will seal against the S4 block. I just got finished going the other way and I have an S5 LIM connected to my S4 UIM on the S5 block.

Yup- the EGR is on top of the center iron. I had it blocked off on my engines anyway. :P. The port that is different is also on the center iron- I found this out the hard way when I rebuilt the engine that was in the convertible I sold at the end of last year- I had needed a new center iron and gotten an S5 iron (since it already had the EGR gone) and I didn't realize about the port difference and had a loud exhaust leak as a result until I fabbed up a block-off for it (since I was bolting a S4 LIM to a S5 center iron).

The guy from Richmond is supposed to come up and get everything Saturday morning, so I'll be sure and update after that in case he doesn't come through.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 New Reader
10/14/12 6:46 p.m.
Ashyukun wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote: There is no egr on an s5 but there is on an S4. You will need a block off plate for it. You can use your S5 manifolds just fine on the S4 keg. There is one port that is different (missing) on the S4 that the S5 center iron has. It is not a big deal and doesn't effect performance. Your S5 manifolds will seal against the S4 block. I just got finished going the other way and I have an S5 LIM connected to my S4 UIM on the S5 block.
Yup- the EGR is on top of the center iron. I had it blocked off on my engines anyway. :P. The port that is different is also on the center iron- I found this out the hard way when I rebuilt the engine that was in the convertible I sold at the end of last year- I had needed a new center iron and gotten an S5 iron (since it already had the EGR gone) and I didn't realize about the port difference and had a loud exhaust leak as a result until I fabbed up a block-off for it (since I was bolting a S4 LIM to a S5 center iron). The guy from Richmond is supposed to come up and get everything Saturday morning, so I'll be sure and update after that in case he doesn't come through.

So is it gone?

Ashyukun
Ashyukun New Reader
10/15/12 2:44 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: So is it gone?

No, not yet. The truck he was planning to borrow crapped out, so it's still technically available as he said if I had gotten someone else who wanted it before he could get a truck to go ahead an sell it to them...

yamaha
yamaha Dork
10/15/12 2:49 p.m.

Someone buy this and that pair of celica GT's in richmond.........that'll peeve the toyota community off.

If I had something in mind for this, I would have already been there for that price. But alas, my only rwd has a new drivetrain waiting to go in it

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
10/15/12 4:49 p.m.

Ya dont scrap it. They are getting harder to find. If you were closer I would be all over this.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun New Reader
10/15/12 5:29 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Ya dont scrap it. They are getting harder to find. If you were closer I would be all over this.

I won't likely be scrapping it- the guy who was supposed to get it on Saturday will eventually get a truck and come out and get it, it's just that it's up for grabs for anyone else before then since that could be a week or two.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 New Reader
10/15/12 6:23 p.m.
Ashyukun wrote:
paranoid_android74 wrote: So is it gone?
No, not yet. The truck he was planning to borrow crapped out, so it's still technically available as he said if I had gotten someone else who wanted it before he could get a truck to go ahead an sell it to them...

Boy, I could drive there and back in one day. Should be about 80 clams in gas.

I'm thinking...

Knurled
Knurled SuperDork
10/15/12 6:26 p.m.

Please contact me if the other deals fall through. Serious buyer, cash in hand, empty spot in wagon.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun New Reader
10/17/12 11:56 a.m.

Still sitting in my shed & garage waiting for someone to claim them.

psteav
psteav HalfDork
10/21/12 8:09 p.m.

I will pull the trigger and say I'll take it. I just have to figure a way to get it up here. I think my friend may be coming back to MO for thanksgiving....any chance you'd be willing to hang on to it for a couple more weeks, then load it in the trunk of her car?

Alternatively, would you be willing to put it on a pallet and take it to a freight depot if I set up shipping?

Ashyukun
Ashyukun New Reader
10/22/12 12:14 p.m.

In reply to psteav:

I'd be fine with either of those options, though I don't know much about where I'd take it to for shipping it out (I do have a few pallets lying around, though). I'm not sure how easily it will fit into the trunk of a car fully assembled, but if it's a big enough trunk (or a wagon or truck) it should work. The wiring and long-block parts are fairly bulky too- all together it's a good bit of volume. I'm willing to work with you on it though in figuring it out.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
10/22/12 6:00 p.m.

A fully assembled 13b will fit in a Cavalier if you take out the passenger seat. If it is a two door, you can practically drop it in with your engine hoist.

I speak from experience =)

Ashyukun
Ashyukun New Reader
10/23/12 9:37 a.m.

One thing to note- I will be out of town for two weeks starting this next Sunday (10/28), so it will either need to go out before then (ideally before Saturday) or wait until after I get back.

psteav
psteav HalfDork
10/23/12 9:43 a.m.

Not in a big hurry. (I now know I have the project car disease bad, since I'm buying parts for a car I don't own yet.) Just like to get it up here and out of your way.

Ya gots the paypal? Or an email address where we can take this off the boards?

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Reader
3/3/13 11:26 a.m.

Still have this, and still really want to get it the heck out of my garage. I'm going to be having to pay to store a lot of stuff, and since I have no real expectation that I'll use this down the line I DO NOT want to have to get a larger storage space just for this and the wiring and such that goes with it.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
3/3/13 12:17 p.m.

PM me your address. I will pick it all up on Saturday.

psteav
psteav HalfDork
3/3/13 12:17 p.m.

Check your email. I still want it, and I think I've got it figured out.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w565q660lWfHowtzMuDvy2IlVYIywG52cMAueHKysQSs1aHfqKfMtkcLEpCTvHAf