RossD
RossD PowerDork
4/23/15 12:20 p.m.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4982579590.html

Dude said: I'm selling yet another project that I don't have time or space for. Ford Prefect is an English ford. It is the 4 door version of an Anglia. For an engine I have installed a Honda CB900 motorcycle engine. There is a custom drive shaft running from the engine to the rear axle. Shift linkage and exhaust are hooked up, but I have never gotten the engine to run. It has new rings and gaskets, bus still has low compression. I purchased a clean head and some other engine parts, which come with the car. It technically has 10 forward gears, but no reverse gear. This car has a clean title and plates. It also comes with a custom tow bar. I made a pinion brake, but haven't hooked it up. The stock brake parts come with the car. I has new and painted floor pans. I have put quite a bit of work into this car. This is NOT a running, driving car but is a unique project with almost all of the components there. Come and see it. Flat tow it home, no need for a trailer. If you would like to see it, please email me. If you want to waste my time, please do not email me. If you are reading this ad, the car is still available. Do not email me any low ball offers. I am not interested in trades. Thanks for looking.
Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/23/15 1:40 p.m.

10 forward gears? Ok what am I missing?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/23/15 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Thinkkker:

There is a 2 speed in there somewhere....probably a 2 speed rear end. Those bikes had 5sp transmissions.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
4/23/15 2:06 p.m.

Okay...so....I know nothing about bike engines. I've seen things like this done that were freakin' rockets, but could it be applicable as a daily driver? I mean, could you take a lightweight old mini car and drop a big bike engine in, then just tootle to work in it? Or is it just better as a race/fun thing?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/23/15 2:28 p.m.

The bike weighed what, 450lbs.? The car, even gutted has to weigh more, so I wonder how much performance is effected. Legends and Dwarfs run 1200 engines.

As a daily driver it wouldn't have reverse.

noddaz
noddaz Dork
4/23/15 3:16 p.m.

1st time ever for a Motorcraft carb on a Honda engine?

psteav
psteav Dork
4/23/15 4:41 p.m.

IIRC, those CB900's had some sort of wonky 2-speed subtransmission on them from the factory. I can't really remember why.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
4/23/15 5:49 p.m.
psteav wrote: I can't really remember why.

For pullin' stumps, of course.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
4/24/15 11:22 a.m.
914Driver wrote: The bike weighed what, 450lbs.? The car, even gutted has to weigh more, so I wonder how much performance is effected. Legends and Dwarfs run 1200 engines. As a daily driver it wouldn't have reverse.

those engines have ~90 hp so even in a 1200-1700 lbs car it would be fun, maybe not the fastest but still fun. really it would just be a matter of keeping it in the powerband. The look on peoples faces when you cruise by at 30 mph @ 4000 rpm would be great.

And its a good thing im 9.5 hours away because otherwise this would be in my driveway by tonight.

bgkast
bgkast UltraDork
4/24/15 11:26 a.m.

I wonder how the driveshaft connects to the honda output...

Somebody here NEEDS THIS!

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
4/27/15 8:41 a.m.

Oh no. I need this. And it's cheap enough that I can't even use that as an excuse...

If the engine came out of a CB900C, which I think was the only model with the 2-speed in front of the 5 speed, then it was a shaft drive engine from the factory. That makes it quite a lot easier.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
4/27/15 9:14 a.m.

Since it is in there transverse, I bet that is what it is. If it was a converted chain system, you have to place the engine longitudinal like. That is assuming the normal way of making a BEC (bike engine car). Also, this would probably be fairly easy to rig up the flywheel/starter motor type reverse. Put bike engine in neutral, hit reverse button.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y9ACOYRxTM7qW23TEYa1HgUhcfJHIMR9vCFZ3nJwjbb4K6uZMZuGiYnDmRitn9wb