slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/27/20 1:09 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

That's frickin sweet!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
3/28/20 7:42 p.m.

It looks like the mighty car mods subarute. And that's a good thing. 

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) SuperDork
6/30/20 11:35 a.m.

I'm gonna need you to make progress on this.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
6/30/20 11:57 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

I'mma going to need me to make progress on this.  

Covid has been Wierd.  I've been working remote from home since March 16th.  We cancelled 2 weeks worth of vacation.  So you would think damn this guy has all the time on earth to work on these cars.   But he has not.  We have 2 kids and they also have been home full time, and my wife's Job is in payroll (sort of) and has been crazy with getting all the Covid things (leave, sick time, etc) put into the system and then fiscal year ends June 30th.   Add to all of that the stress of the whole mess and I've been real down lately.  But it's getting better and I have plugged away.  The 30/30 garage challenge got me out of a funk and the garage looks like this right now..

Tonight I turn wrenches on disassembly of the Brighton to store parts for the 360.   An unfortunate side effect of the free Miata is it takes up space so I can't strip the Brighton and work on Brumpy.  Brumpy starts very very soon though.  Possibly this weekend depending on how long it takes me to strip the motor, suspension, steering, pedal box, and gas tank from the Brighton.  

So expect greatness soon.  Your patience will be rewarded.

CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter)
CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/30/20 12:06 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Covid has been weird as hell-including for building cars. 

I have more time to make stuff (Yay!) but have been more hesistant to test at the local test/tune or auto-x (boo!). 

Looking foreward to the greatness.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/1/20 12:33 a.m.

OMG progress!  

Tonight I'm calling it night 1 on the LMP360.  Tonights agenda, Start stripping the Brighton.  

I will say I previously removed the front bumper cover/headlights and mounted a tow beam so I could move the car around.  That took say 1 HR so we will say we started the night 1 hour in.  Tonight I completed the following boring tasks:

-Car on Stands, Wheels Off.  Suprise #1 - Drum Rear brakes (I mean should not of been a suprise this is just a thing on Brightons but..  I'm dumb and forgot).

-Open Trunk and inventory before loading up with parts.  Surprise #2 - Car has nice rear plastic trunk liner

-Radiator out, Disconnect all engine wiring.

-Unhook All cables from engine, Battery, Throttle, Clutch..  Wait what?  Surprise #3, cable clutch.  It's simple but I'm not sure it will work great for a MR application.  Research is in my future.  I can cobble a linkage I'm sure or find a loooong cable but this was a surprise.  

-Remove power steering pump/lines.  Surprise #4, Power Steering.  

-Cut off exhaust, no real rust on the entire car except all exhaust bolts look like they were pulled from the Ocean Floor.  Surprise #4 I have 4 CATs to sell from this car (2 on the car, 2 that came with a spare exhaust).  

End of night status:  1.5 HR, Engine is 6 bolts away from being pulled.  

Total Time: 2.5 HR.  

Potential Recoupe Items - 15" Wheels with full tread Tires, Trunk Liner, 4 CATs

After finding the Drum rear brakes and the previously known fact that I was going to have to cobble together half shafts (Subaru front and rear shafts use 4 different splines on the shafts for the Inner and outer joints so you can't just build a shaft that works) I'm changing direction a bit on suspension.  Rather then use all 4 uprights from the Brighton, I'm going to use the Front uprights/brakes/axles in the rear and source another set of 5x100 uprights.  This will put Vented disks on the back of the LMP360 which is good.  So if anyone has any 5x100 uprights with brakes from either a Subaru WRX, or something with 5x100 I'm Interested.  

End of night pictures:

Curse you 90s cheapness!!

This is likely a repost, but some things bear repeating.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
7/1/20 6:18 a.m.

Designs of both cars look great!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/1/20 10:04 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

It's a shame I don't live nearby anymore, I'd come help install the transmission just so I could say I was part of 2 of your awesome builds! laugh

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/3/20 1:16 a.m.

More GC8 Stripping progress..

I decided to pull the engine/trans as one after I remove the subframe, so Front suspension is completely out, Steering/swaybar, all subframe bolts are loosened, remaining fluids drained (BLUE Trans Fluid!). 

Next time the engine will be out and I may have removed all the GC8 parts I need.  The car came with a wiring harness for the 2.2L so I don't need much else.  Steering shaft, probably will pull the pedals, and the gas tank/fuel pump.

Car had a Strut tower brace so something else to add to the able to sell parts.  This thing is coming apart VERY easy.  The only bolt I couldn't get out was one of the axle nuts but that is probably more bcause late at night I don't use the impact wrench.  Basically 0 rust.  I really don't want to scrap it when I am done but I don't need the car.  I was going to keep the hood, fenders, and trunk and maybe cut out the roof for sheet metal if it's going to the scrapyard but please someone give me $150 for the clean titled rust free GC8 coupe shell so i don't have to scrap it.  If someone wants it I will sell it complete less the parts I've pulled but I will leave the body, healights/tail lights etc. on it so you could just add your silly subaru Lego Drivetrain of choice to it.  

End of Day 2: 1.25 Hrs, Total 3.75 HRs

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/3/20 1:17 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

That would be awesome.  If your ever back in the area let me know and you can stop by.  I remember you helping me pull the 12A out of the MG, then put it back, Then out, then put it back..

7/3/20 5:41 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

I was hoping to bring the DSM up & hit a CCSCC event later this summer, but it seems pretty unlikely that we'll be heading back to visit this year now. 

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/3/20 11:56 p.m.

Day 3 of stripping Subaru.  Engine is out, Trans is out.  I managed to get everything unhooked but forgot the speedometer cable..  so that got broken.  Otherwise all wireing is still intact.  

Of course since the engine was on a rolling cart, and the wheels where near by (No I'm not planning to run snow tires and the actual wheels are about 1.5" smaller OD then these) I grabbed the shocks, seat and did a quick mockup.  

Wheelbase is pretty much exactly what it will be.  Obviously the body isn't in there yet but the seat back to rear tire spacing is accurate to the model and there is plenty of leg space.  Width of the cockpit is set to match what the model shows for the body inside.  We will see once I get it cut up.  I know the inner sill is 41" appart.  

Of course I set in the seat and made Boxery Engine noises (And a bit of Choo-Choo noises also)

Day 3: 1.25 HR, Total 5 Hrs.  Still need to pull the fuel pump/tank, Steering, and Pedals then the car will be ready to go on the trailer.  I will take some pictures of it and probably post up a for sale soon.  Very Cheap...

7/4/20 12:08 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

Now you just need to connect the dots!

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/8/20 12:02 a.m.

No pictures but the GC8 has been stripped as far as I need to go.  If no one buys it as a "complete" car It will get another round of parting for things like, Wiring and anything I think I may re-use on the LMP360.   It seems a shame as this thing is pretty straight and very low rust. 

Now on to a crossroads. 

It's July.  I'm on vacation next week.  After that I can heads down and try to get Brumpy ready for the challenge.  I really think that project is do-able in the time remaining.  It's not going to be competitive but this year would be about participating, learning about the challenge first hand for learning and building something unique.  

But, COVID-19 is a thing, and working on Brumpy if the 2020 event is canceled or I choose to not make the trek is a waste of time I could spend to ensure that the LMP360 is ready for 2021.  So I could start on the LMP360 now.  I know for a "follow along at home" it's a more exciting project.  

I'm not sure.  What would you do?  

1. Start LMP360 in earnest now?  

2. Build Brumpy Now who doesn't love UTE action!

If I started on the LMP360 Brumpy can just wait until after.   I also really want to see someone make a non-hack early 2000's BRAT.  Decisions decisions.

Do you actually want to build and own brumpy long term? Or is it purely a challenge car? 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/8/20 7:22 a.m.

I agree with Michael.  Do you want to build and or own brumpy?  If not profit off the fact that you got a $3000 car for $700 or whatever it was, move it along.  "It would be cool if someone built" doesn't scream "I want to build this!" to me.  I fell into the same trap with Darth Nader.  I had the skills, and I loved the idea, but shouldn't have even started building.  I got the c5 for a transaxle donor, and in the end I don't even have that anymore.  After it was all done, I gave away a year's worth of labor and a bunch of great parts for a grand just to make it go away.  

7/8/20 10:24 a.m.

I'd also add don't bring a 1/2-sorted car to the Challenge. Do gastropod or fly & drive if you just want to enter something, but even better for your first time(or more) is just show up, meet people & help out wherever you can/want to. 

The Challenge is a different attitude than your normal event. Not that there aren't teams giving 100% to be competitive, but because it only happens annually there's a lot more personal interaction. 

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/8/20 11:18 a.m.

I want to build Brumpy for the experience but it's not a "long term" thing.  It's a bit of a project of opportunity.   I was basically planning to build it as a Gastropod but with the truck conversion because it would be more interesting then just a basically stock $1K WRX.  

I feel you Patrick on what you're describing with Darth Nader.  I'm frequently fall into the trap of starting down roads that I'm not really committed to.  I have big visions and see things way to easily for what they could become vs what they are and I gloss over the work required to get to the end.  

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
7/8/20 11:35 a.m.

This thread makes me feel a tumultuous mixture of joy and sadness. I love that the Scoob will live on in another form but, I wish I had been the one who was able to resurrect it properly. My hat is off to you, Nocones.

That blue gearbox oil is Redline Lightweight Shockproof, btw. :)

easterlysole
easterlysole New Reader
7/8/20 12:32 p.m.

I created this render in blender when i first read of this project. I hope it will help you make a decision. I would love to see it in real life.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/22/20 12:04 a.m.

That's awesome.  Renderings are great.  I'm trying to figure out how to do better with the rendering add-ons for SketchUp.  

During Vacation I decided to focus on the LMP360.  I can always pick away at Brumpy when I need a break.

Today I got some more parts for the project.  A set of front Uprights from a 2002 WRX.  They were a little expensive but at least they can be a placeholder to get the project rolling.  If I find a better deal I can swap them.  

DannyCOV
DannyCOV New Reader
7/23/20 2:28 a.m.

This is glorious.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/23/20 7:53 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Did you get my email?

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/26/20 12:48 a.m.

So much room for activities!

Tomorrow the build table begins.  I've added some photos from sketchup of the build table so I have the dimensions tomorrow from my phone.  Sure I could print them, or write them down, but this way everyone else can see the design.

I also include this cutaway because it looked cool.  Chassis design has continued some.  I will probably provide a stand alone update on the chassis design in a few days.  I'm still working on the seating postion.  I've drawn the chassis with a more traditional "upright" seating style using a flat chassis bottom.  This one is a more "F1" style seating position which allows the front of the chassis to step up.  I'm going to mockup a few things once the body is cut and on the table to see what makes the most sense once my bag o meat is in the seat.   

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bDZWJGc47feQjs3Bq3nQxp2xxSYmLbp7BKw1XY6L2sQi5R4VyIhBa4cosBcnFame