67 68 69
sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
5/30/24 1:27 p.m.

I think I'll offer the opposite opinion.  take your time rebuilding the car.  don't get burnt out.  find a way to make this sustainable, and then you'll get more enjoyment and success with it.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
5/30/24 11:23 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I really expect to let the bearings out while doing high g cornering..  not while making 60% of factory power stationary on a dyno..

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/31/24 1:50 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

I guess that's the engine equivalent of smashing the hell outta your car on an autocross course, I can relate, I may even have a dead engine as well sad

StilettoSS
StilettoSS New Reader
6/10/24 3:47 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/share/3XJuwErfJRktTCiB/

Just figured I would share Nocones :) Maybe you need parts? Or the next challenge car?

nocones
nocones PowerDork
6/10/24 4:51 p.m.

Gridlife MW Festival complete.  Took the car up with the EJ253 in. 

The trip up was a freaking ADVENTURE with the RV just basically deciding that every appliance needed to have it's moment of attention on the way up.  What should of been a 4 hour drive turned into a 10 hour one with stops for parts and stuff.  

After getting settled in Robbie and Gumby joined me and we had a wonderful weekend of track action and fun festival stuff.  Literally thousands of people saw the car and stopped by to have a chat about it.  I should probably make a sign to try to stop all the people asking about my Beetle but at this point is it basically a living meme.  

Car ran flawlessly and got down to a 1:43.652.  Not bad for 115WHP.. hopefully for the last time.  I was able to do some "Gridlife Taxi" laps with Robbie and Gumby in the passenger seat as well as a few other Gridlife people and a couple randos.  Feedback was pretty much always, this is very raw, and I have never felt those kinds of G forces in corners.    Also as there are drift cars on course with you and there is something amazing about having a 800hp 240sx sideways in front of you.  

During Gumby's ride he identified that the rear looseness may be due to the fact that I have never rotated the tires and they probably heat cycle more then the lightly loaded fronts.  We swapped them front to rear and I immediatly droped 1.5 seconds..  That Gumby is smart.  

Overall again a great experience and a new one with all the festival schennanigans.  Next major event is Gridlife Summer Apex at Road America in July.

The Goal is to have the car with a EJ20 with Turbo by then.  It's really a simple matter of finding one and or repairing the one in my garage and getting it in the car.  Since the EJ257 was operational there isn't much unknown here.  

I failed to bring cameras this weekend.  Well specifically my cameras have been half in a bag and half in a Simpson Hans device box for the past 9 months.  I brough the bag.. Which contained my GoPro, Memory Cards, and the Batteries for my FauxPro.  the Simpson box got left at home, which had my GoPro Charger, the GoPro camera holder, and the FauxPro Camera.  So..  Sorry no video.  One of the ridealongs took handheld video and I will I am sure have it at some point soon, and will link to it if able.   I've seen some coverage of the car on Social media.  Gridlife official had a front shot of the car, and Rob Wilkinson posted another banger on FB.

Daylan C.
Daylan C. PowerDork
6/11/24 7:44 p.m.

Hi. I was the long haired fat guy in the Hawaiian shirt at bottom of grid. Seeing you on the grid sheet made me happy knowing you had engine drama not that long ago. 

nocones
nocones PowerDork
6/25/24 9:42 p.m.

Okay that's amazing.  Gonna need that as a poster in the garage.  

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
6/26/24 9:01 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

That's pretty gnarly! The 360 looks like it was made for that poster.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
7/22/24 11:47 a.m.

Oh man .  It's been an adventure again.   

So a bit has happened.  First I spent like 4 weeks doing nothing and slowly putting heads on the high mileage EJ205 that I have in the garage.  No real surprises or noteworthy items there I just have a spare EJ205 WRX motor now.  

Then I decided to order a EJ20X JDM motor.  It took it about 3 weeks to get here.  Which was fine I wasn't really ready for it anyway.   It arrived and looked fine so I proceeded to swap a whole bunch of little crap off of the EJ257 onto it.   Stuff like coolant ports, the oil cooler, and many small things needed changed.   I put the IAG oil pan on and a gates racing timing set.  Then I installed the engine in the car.  The EJ20X has the advantage of using all the same sensors as the EJ257 including intake AVCS.  The disadvantage is it has exhaust AVCS as well.  I left it unplugged and retarded the exhaust cams 1 tooth.  

I put the engine in and filled everything with fluids, told the Haltech I had a 2.0l instead of 2.5l and pushed start.  And it rumbled to life. 

So it was time to Dyno.  Got the car strapped on the dyno and was fighting a high idle.  It seems that something is wrong with the way I wired up the IAC and it just doesn't work right.  We spent a while messing with it and got It to idle at 1500 on pulling timing.  It's not ideal but for now it idles and runs.  Time for some pulls to check things.   Did 2 good pulls, one in 2nd, 1 in 4th.  The first one the boost controller wasn't hooked up and the wastegate actuator opens a little on low boost so it took until like 5k rpm to make full boost.   The second we hooked up the controller and with 0psi to the wastegate until the Haltech saw 6psi.  This made 3psi by 3k rpm and 6psi at about 3600.  Made ~203 wheel.   All good.  

Prepped to run boost up to 8psi and went to do the pull. But at ~3000 rpm the transmission locked up the input shaft and killed the motor.  The trans made bad noises, popped into neutral and the Dyno rolled down.  Engine started and ran fine with the clutch in but the trans was locked solid.  Thankfully the car would roll in neutral so back on the trailer with another failed dyno session.   But the engine was tuned enough to use so I just needed a transmission.  

This was Tuesday..   GL summer Apex was 10 days away, and I had a shakedown Autox on Sunday..   ugh. Time to swap a transmission.   

Typically to swap a trans the car is split in half and the entire drivetrain comes out.   This sounded really annoying considering the engine was fine and I really didn't want to drain coolant and unhook everything.  So enter a crazy bracket!

This thing enables me to use 4 straps to hold the engine in position.  Then I just unbolt the subframe and the engine and trans stay hooked up. 

The transmission can then be removed and disassembled.

And I find this ..

That input shaft bearing isn't looking so good.. 

Enhance 

Enhance

That bearing is no longer bearinging.  It's fully seized and melted down.  It spun in the case destroying them and the race split.  My best guess is when I was dynoing the EJ257 when it locked up the inertia of the Dyno forced 4th gear appart so violently that it split the race.  Or it simply wasn't assembled correctly.

This Dyno run was the first use of the trans after the EJ257 run so it's probable that that is when the damage occured.  

So that brings me to a car in need of a transmission.   Thankfully I'm a hoarder and had a 2nd WRX transmission in the garage.  So in classic Haynes manual style assembly was the reverse of disassembly.  

The fixtures worked flawlessly and subframe assembly was only about an hour from trans out of car to running.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/22/24 12:30 p.m.

The lesson here is "when you build something crazy, build it with service in mind. And that includes tools and fixtures." Nice work!

nocones
nocones PowerDork
7/22/24 1:58 p.m.

So with the car all assembled..  on Saturday at 8pm it was time to load up and head to the "Subaru Challenge" Autox.   This is an excellent all Subaru event that takes place at the Subaru of America factory in Lafayette Indiana.  44 Subarus showed up and I believe all of them including mine were still running after 9 runs.  

The event was shockingly uneventful for the 360.  All the tools stayed in the tool box and I just did 9 runs.  Car stayed cool, oil pressure was good and it ran pretty good.  It has some low throttle stumbles but overall runs fine for a race car on its initial tune.  I'll tweak on it at road America.  But there is no scramble for road America.  It just kinda works so it's ready to go.  I'm going to fab up a intercooler fan but that's about it.   

Here is some incar because everyone loves choo choo noises. 

A post shared by Daniel C (@noconesgarage)

The car is much faster now, so I am very interested to see what it's going to be like on track.   

golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/23/24 7:53 a.m.

Congrats on getting it together and (finally) running reliably!  FWIW, I was the one on Insta that laughed at your 'speedrunning  Subaru Ownership problems' comment, haha... It's still killing me days later!

67 68 69

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ypy2BVWm87JUsXaJIudcWorAKMKic0UKQBlngx1k0TkShWrB0nJYM3lKBRzQaUOC