nocones
nocones UberDork
11/1/21 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Pt cruiser GT has to be the car that would become the Most awesome simply from moving it's stock Engine to the middle of the same chassis.  I can't think of that would be better.  

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
11/1/21 2:23 p.m.
John Welsh said:

This s the first picture I've seen of the Crossfire.  When the entry sheet came out was the first time I knew there was going to be a Crossfire.  I had predicted a 12th place finish.  Instead, it got 21nd out of 38 for dynamic.  I guess that's mid pack but I predicted better.  

I have said for a number of years now that the right Crossfire with the right damage could be bought cheap enough to compete.  

Also on my list for quirky Chryslers are PT Cruiser Turbos (hardtop or convertible) as well as Maserati TC by Chrysler. 

I'm not sure the crossfire took advantage of a pro driver. I know when I was working the course it got lost a couple of times.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
11/1/21 2:34 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

There were plenty of problems with it just to keep it running much less participating.

It was a flood car where about a third of it worked and it depended on which third wanted to work. Definitely didn't take advantage of the free tire rule. He was out to have fun.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/1/21 3:07 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

They had trouble with Crossfire's the rear end & I don't believe they made a drag pass since they had to drive the car home. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
11/1/21 4:35 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

A K-swapped Insight ought to be pretty light and fun to throw around.

It was pretty fast, but I think they just had a stub of a straight pipe and good lord did it hurt your ears going by

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
11/1/21 4:36 p.m.
John Welsh said:

This s the first picture I've seen of the Crossfire.  When the entry sheet came out was the first time I knew there was going to be a Crossfire.  I had predicted a 12th place finish.  Instead, it got 21nd out of 38 for dynamic.  I guess that's mid pack but I predicted better.  

I have said for a number of years now that the right Crossfire with the right damage could be bought cheap enough to compete.  

Also on my list for quirky Chryslers are PT Cruiser Turbos (hardtop or convertible) as well as Maserati TC by Chrysler.  

I wish I knew what was going on with that thing.  It was just sitting in the field the on one day of the Challenge.  I don't think I saw it the rest of the time.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
11/1/21 6:05 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

It was pretty fast, but I think they just had a stub of a straight pipe and good lord did it hurt your ears going by

If I had a potato....

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
11/2/21 10:03 a.m.

The crossfire wound up with bad noises from the diff. He did make one drag pass, but backed out before the end of the 1/4 mile.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/2/21 3:50 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Yes, I cringed every time it passed our station.

gumby
gumby Dork
11/2/21 5:43 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Mr_Asa said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Dare I say, worse than Andy's G35....

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/2/21 6:29 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

The crossfire wound up with bad noises from the diff. He did make one drag pass, but backed out before the end of the 1/4 mile.

I'm sad to hear of their troubles but it also restores my belief that a Crossfire could do well.  I suppose, in a big dose of reality, maybe this also just highlights the risk of this not quite Benz and not quite Mopar, bastard child.

Again, I'm reminded that the number one reason I've never brought a Crossfire to The Challenge is that I would then own a Crossfire. devil

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/3/21 8:04 a.m.
gumby said:
bobzilla said:
Mr_Asa said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Lets don't get too carried away now.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/3/21 3:19 p.m.
John Welsh said:

the number one reason I've never brought a Crossfire to The Challenge is that I would then own a Crossfire. devil

I think that's called a 'Crossfear'

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/4/21 8:27 a.m.
bobzilla said:
gumby said:
bobzilla said:
Mr_Asa said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Lets don't get too carried away now.

At least the G35 only made one autocross pass to torture the ears. ;)

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek HalfDork
11/4/21 5:56 p.m.

And I finished processing my pictures. Enjoy!

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek HalfDork
11/4/21 5:59 p.m.

- Sean

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/9/21 2:08 a.m.

Thank you!!!

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/9/21 2:15 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

The yellow NC is mine. Rebought from my insurance company after it was totaled for $2175 so technically ineligible due to initial cost >$2k and not a deal available to the public. Total out of pocket was <$4k and I didn't recoup anything. So - exhibition class, and yeah, I was competing with my son in the Z31 ($500 Challenge budget)

It's my daily driver and I drove it to the event and back ~12 hours each way and competed on the street tires. Heated seats, AC, satellite radio...
see Phoenix Rising - how my daily driver got totaled, bought back, and returned to street legal status| Builds and Project Cars forum | (grassrootsmotorsports.com)

That said... I also have a red $800 2006 NC1 car (less motor, but including some other bits that may be recoupable) and a '99 Crown Vic (FMV ~$500) that has the same powerplant as this year's Challenge winner... The amalgamation of the two may come in a year or two.  It can be done! Though... I definitely have some body roll to address!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/9/21 7:15 a.m.

I love this photo.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
11/16/21 7:22 a.m.

Any word on when a long form video might be coming out with more of the footage that was gathered via drone and in-car cameras?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/21/22 11:51 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

One more migrating 

And again

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/22/22 10:28 a.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/22/22 10:40 a.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/22/22 10:42 a.m.

Its happening!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/22/22 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

The Metropolitan looks much better than last year with the new cage.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sHJCyHsuc68EDaYMndLgADMVKQMsJg9yRPRHPU7n5yHePZDb52V7AXFrfbZhgpMG