1 2 3 4
slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/24/19 10:41 p.m.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy Dork
10/25/19 6:46 a.m.

Quick stop for some breakfast. They have the best roast beef. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/25/19 8:37 a.m.

Georgia Tech won the party this year with their driveable sofa. 

harrc089
harrc089 None
10/25/19 12:04 p.m.

Here are a few photos I was able to take at Challenge. I keep will adding as I am able. Enjoy! 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WwSvcheDngaz5RX8A

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
10/25/19 12:27 p.m.
harrc089 said:

Here are a few photos I was able to take at Challenge. I keep will adding as I am able. Enjoy! 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WwSvcheDngaz5RX8A

awesome, thanks for sharing!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/25/19 1:00 p.m.

Nonack to me- " if you see the CRX guys, this is their bucket of turbos. " 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/25/19 5:11 p.m.

Andy Nelson 9.90 out of the box. Don garlits in a 1000hp hellcat woth multiple test launches- 10.16. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/25/19 5:15 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Andy Nelson 9.90 out of the box. Don garlits in a 1000hp hellcat woth multiple test launches- 10.16. 

one of these days, Andy is going to get tired of winning the drags by such large margins.  i mean, can it really be *that* entertaining 15 years running?  He's kinda made his point, IMO.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/25/19 5:19 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Mndsm said:

one of these days, Andy is going to get tired of winning the drags by such large margins.  i mean, can it really be *that* entertaining 15 years running?  He's kinda made his point, IMO.

It's what he does and he's really good at it. Hard not to stick to your wheelhouse you know? And honestly for someone like me, it gives me more resolve to try harder with a build. Bigger target. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/25/19 5:25 p.m.

Did anyone get to line up across from Don Garlits?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/25/19 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

No doubt it's what they do.   And they're really good at it.   And i'm not suggesting they *don't* stick to their wheelhouse.  But when was the last time you thought that anyone *other than* Andy Nelson is gonna win the drags?

Kinda makes me think of this:

https://babylonbee.com/news/man-identifying-6-year-old-crushes-game-winning-homer-tee-ball-championship

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/25/19 5:41 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Not as of yet. I'm not sure that's going to happen, so far, Andy would smoke him, and then Calvin is somewhere in the 11s

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/25/19 5:43 p.m.

I, for one, can’t wait to hear what Don Garlits has to say about what the Nelsons are able to accomplish, especially considering the budget constraints. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/25/19 5:43 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to Mndsm :

No doubt it's what they do.   And they're really good at it.   And i'm not suggesting they *don't* stick to their wheelhouse.  But when was the last time you thought that anyone *other than* Andy Nelson is gonna win the drags?

https://babylonbee.com/news/man-identifying-6-year-old-crushes-game-winning-homer-tee-ball-championship

You have a valid point. I've never seen the man run in person before today, and have never met him before yesterday, so I suppose it's a bit more entertaining for me. And the fact that he went 9s in the sunbird and NOT the rail. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/25/19 5:48 p.m.
Mndsm said:
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to Mndsm :

You have a valid point. I've never seen the man run in person before today, and have never met him before yesterday, so I suppose it's a bit more entertaining for me. And the fact that he went 9s in the sunbird and NOT the rail. 

I love the Nelsons, and they have certainly been a heavy inspiration for what I've done with MonZora.  They know how to make cheap power *and* how to hook it up straight.  

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
10/25/19 6:11 p.m.
Mndsm said:

turns out it takes me about 4 hours to do an entire helmet. 

My favorite thing about this photo is that there are more liquor bottles than helmets. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/25/19 6:12 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

There's two bottles of bourbon, some form of rum, and my yeti was full of gin. Not pictured, the cooler under the table. 

grover
grover HalfDork
10/25/19 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

That snail is fast.... sorry, I have young kids 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
10/25/19 9:13 p.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/25/19 9:30 p.m.
Mndsm said:

It's great to see someone who is such a kind person do so well

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/25/19 9:52 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

No, Don only ran solo, 3-passes(I think). The car is being raffled off, so I’m sure they didn’t want to risk a crash. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/25/19 10:12 p.m.

I have about 130 photo here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/i1dJofBQp11a1uo69

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/25/19 10:23 p.m.

It's going to be interesting going through the results- I've not been following all of the builds, and there are some cool cars people found.

It's hard to fathom that some of them have gotten that cheap- but time passes, and that just happens.  There were MR2's at early challenges, and now there's an MR Spider.  So full circle.  And I've not really seen an Alfa that would make it these days, but way back, they were pretty easy to find.

Fascinating how values have changed over the 20 years the Challenge has been going on.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/25/19 10:46 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

The R32 Skyline had me wondering. Was a 4-door  but still, can't be cheap to import one, then got trashed by a drift kid and dumped for cheap maybe? I'm curious about that car's story.

Edit: wait, it was an R34. So, not legal to import? Sold for scrap after being seized by the government...racecars don't need a VIN or title...maybe?

I also entertained thoughts of it being a body swap or something bizarre like that.

bigben
bigben Reader
10/25/19 11:39 p.m.

Getting the power to the ground seems to be the one of the biggest handicaps (besides 50 year old suspension design) that I've had with the Turbo Opel GT. 

Wait let me back up for a minute and say that the Challenge competitors are awesome!  It's like a wierd competitive-collaborative environment, where each person wants to do great but are also really excited when their competition does well. (not something you see in many other competitive environments)  Anyway, I received lots of positive feed back and well wishes on a good performance from many people, and Mike and Paul (both not competing this year) both jumped in and provided help when I really needed it.

Anyway, back to the whole traction thing.  Unable to locate and appropriate sized drag tires I was going to have to rely on the Hoosier S80 road race tires.  So I asked a couple of knowledgeable drag race guys for any tips working with the Hoosiers.  Pat suggested getting the pressure pretty low (16 lbs) due to the stiff sidewall and narrow wheels.  Andrew Nelson didn't have any suggestions for pressure, but offered a word of advise: "get your runs in early before the traction goes away." Both tips were beneficial for traction much to the chagrin of the drive shaft.  With 18psi in the Hoosiers and a good burnout to warm them up, I pulled to the starting line and did what I'd say was a medium launch.  Okay, maybe it was a little more agressive than that since I was excited about lining up against a fast car.  The tires hooked solid, which was a first, and snapped the front u-joint in half.  After rummaging through half the garage of junk I had brought with me I located a bad, old u-joint that I had held on to for who knows what.  I'd have to rebuild the driveshaft right there in front of the stands.

After a couple of hicups, I got the shaft back together and installed just in time to make one pass and get a time on the board.  Here's the u-joint that lost the battle with the engine next to the reassembled shaft.  That old spare joint started vibrating by the end of the 1/4 mile, but it held together long enough to finish a pass and drive back to the pavillion.yes

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PpFUqSrObGxa1zl9HhCTsEgXgKdgpp1GFxYLvW2lLM61uX3g66Ti6Ej5uwHqySpU