Run_Away (Wears Clogs)
Run_Away (Wears Clogs) Dork
5/30/20 4:10 p.m.

Hey all, 

So I've done something monumentally stupid and cracked the windshield on the Neon while pulling the engine about 5 minutes ago. If I fix it, does the repair count towards the challenge budget?

Or is exempt under the emergency repairs/wear and tear clause?

CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter)
CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/30/20 4:38 p.m.

No opinion on the budget question but I would check my insurance if you have it on the car. Some states mandate coverage with 0 deductible.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
5/30/20 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away (Wears Clogs) :

I think you can use the wear and tear / maintenance clause.  The car had a good windshield when you bought it.  I don't see it as "being a Dick" to cheat.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/30/20 6:23 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

That's how I feel about it too. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/30/20 6:24 p.m.

Same. Not a dick move. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/30/20 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Same here.

When I asked about my Caprice when after winter it got cracked I was told that if I bought it with a good windshield, I could replace it at no budget hit

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
5/30/20 6:48 p.m.

Around here there were radio ads for a bit where you got a free windshield replacement and $100 from the replacement company. I'm pretty sure you can't add the $100 to your budget.smiley

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
5/30/20 6:57 p.m.

I wish I could say I haven't done similar things in the past, you know, when you stop, look at it, and say "ahhhhhh! E36 M40!"

I agree with the herd, replace it. Note it on your build spreadsheet so there are no questions later. Not a Dick Move.

Run_Away (Wears Clogs)
Run_Away (Wears Clogs) Dork
5/30/20 7:34 p.m.

Thanks guys, that's a big relief. Still really pissed at myself. I had my headphones on and was jamming along, I knew the back there was rubbing but it had done lots of that on the initial test fitment and I thought the cowl would just flex. Heard the crack and looked up just to watch the spiders webs grow. Dumb dumb dumb.

I'll probably DIY the job just to keep the spirit of the build, junkyard glass is $55 cad and a tube of urethane is $25ish.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
5/30/20 10:43 p.m.

So... What if I brake something and cant find an exact replacement?

Or the exact replacement is super stupid exspencive and I dont want to ship it from overseas?

There was an incident while pulling the motor where my fuel rail was kinked, valve cover and diferential cover were damaged.

I swapped out the diff and valve cover with scrap... But the fuel rail was either originally from Australia or from a company that no longer exists (who probaly had them shipped from Australia)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iRpDN53rxAHRG3D6aN0WzX7kGyErJJRrklv64c2Ag7SE55N3BhA9I4l9CMTHEbAl