1 2 3
dherr
dherr Reader
8/31/17 1:39 p.m.

Okay, so after much thought, I am testing the waters for parting ways with my challenge car. The car has been completely re-engineered (by a non-engineer) after three challenges in the 2006 - 2008. Best finish was 13th in 2007. The car was capable of running 12.9 @102 mph and was hitting the rev limiter, so could probably easily get into the mid 12's with a taller tire. Since that time I took the car apart and have basically upgraded all the issues that were the biggest limiting factors. The car now has a complete RX7 Turbo II LSD (thanks Andrew Nelson!) as well as better brakes, much larger tires (225/45/15's) and more room to drive it with the racing seat. Wheel base was lengthened to be NHRA legal (85 inches) by moving the body back two inches on the frame, which also cleared space for the big front tires. Disk brakes on all four corners, front upgraded with GT6, toyota 4 pot calipers and vented disks.

Car needs sorting as I got it running after all drive train changes but has a dead battery (just replaced with a good battery) at this point is running, but will lots of sorting, tuning, alignment and a quick respray if you care about the cosmetics (or just take the 12 points and go win the autocross). With two kids in college and other priorities and lacking a shop to store it in, it is probably time to part with it so someone else can take it to this year or next year's challenge. $2017 to a GRM member that will take it to the challenge!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/31/17 3:36 p.m.

I am impressed you could do all of that under budget. Kudos for passing it on for $2017.

dherr
dherr Reader
8/31/17 3:43 p.m.

Creative deals (like a complete RX7 LSD sub frame and a second LSD for $175), using the brake rule to grab junk yard parts for cheap and replacing with rebuilt parts (for safety) and lots of other things. The ebay gauges were $68 for everything, the seat was sitting on someone's front porch for $45 on Craigslist. It can be done, but the hours of labor are all free. If I don't get any interest, I am sure it will sell for more on ebay or craigslist, but I would prefer to see it in the challenge as that is why I did all the work.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/31/17 3:49 p.m.

This has always been one of my favorite Challenge cars.

Bravo!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/31/17 3:58 p.m.

I looked where you lived. Big mistake

dherr
dherr Reader
8/31/17 4:06 p.m.

Isn't it always the case? Sometimes I secretly hope these things are located in Seattle or San Diego to keep me from being too tempted..... Car is in Frederick, Md for anyone else that is close by and need one more project to add to their collection

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
8/31/17 4:08 p.m.

Video from $2008 drags vs my SBC 944:

GET SOME!

dherr
dherr Reader
8/31/17 4:20 p.m.

That was with the solid axle and no traction off the line, we ran better in 2008 in the drags and got it to 12.9. Car should have much more traction with the LSD and a suspension that actually has some travel built into it.

Good times!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
8/31/17 4:54 p.m.

Awesome Car. Great deal.

I wish the timing were better.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
8/31/17 6:22 p.m.

Could I come see the car Sunday?

Paul B

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/31/17 6:41 p.m.

This is awesome

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/31/17 6:46 p.m.

That to me looks like a great deal. I wish it was closer and I had a place to store it.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
8/31/17 6:57 p.m.

That's a lot of sexy in a small package.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/31/17 7:50 p.m.

oh dear...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
8/31/17 9:05 p.m.

That car is awesome and dherr is a cool guy and you should totally have a bidding war and buy it for way more than asking price!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
8/31/17 9:52 p.m.

I want this car......a lot. Timing is terrible however. Car purchase is planned for mid winter

What transmission is it running?

dherr
dherr Reader
8/31/17 10:47 p.m.

T5, 87 Thunderbird engine and transmission

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/1/17 6:15 a.m.

If I bought this it would be two years running with one receipt from a car purchased in Frederick MD.

If it's still available and my current build goes south I'll definitely be interested.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
9/1/17 7:35 a.m.

If for some reason no one else on here buys this, before you go to Craigslist or eBay, let me know and I'll see what I can do to keep it in the family.

Also, is there be chance a title for the car? I have a thing about making these fun cars street legal...

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
9/1/17 7:38 a.m.

This is a great deal. Really great of you to offer it for such a low price.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/1/17 7:40 a.m.

Another GRMer and I are mulling it over... the want is strong but neither of us is blessed with a lot of excess time to play with something like this.

dherr
dherr Reader
9/1/17 7:56 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686:

Of course, it deserves to go back to the challenge. Not so sure about the making it street legal as I really went too far in the other direction on this build. One of the reasons it is for sale is to clear space for a street legal version. I have a 71 Spitfire, parts to swap in a WRX LSD with the GT6 Rotoflex suspension and proper CV axles and plan to put in a S2000 or similar drivetrain.

dherr
dherr Reader
9/1/17 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Donebrokeit:

Message sent with my contact info, we are home all weekend

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
9/1/17 8:01 a.m.
dherr wrote: In reply to AWSX1686: Of course, it deserves to go back to the challenge. Not so sure about the making it street legal as I really went too far in the other direction on this build. One of the reasons it is for sale is to clear space for a street legal version. I have a 71 Spitfire, parts to swap in a WRX LSD with the GT6 Rotoflex suspension and proper CV axles and plan to put in a S2000 or similar drivetrain.

Nice.

If there's a title, I could probably make it street legal. That's the hardest part.

dherr
dherr Reader
9/1/17 8:24 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686:

Yes, I have a title for the car. Not that there is much left of the 1975 Spitfire other than 1/2 the frame and body shell

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dogfSfaMhVAEvwRz6S7M1gQAva8doaPU51EJa4NMbvd2w97qsR9oYCSe6mecD4Zw