alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/26/19 12:05 p.m.

For some reason, the investment post made me think a little about the challenge, and how awesome of a job all of you are doing making these cars.

The ORIGINAL GRM challenge was in 1999 and was $1500.  Later that changed to the year as the cut off.

If you adjust $1500 in 1999 dollars to today, that's just about $2300.

Which is to say that in pure value, ALL of you competing are working with a much tighter budget than the original challenge field did in 1999.

Considering the progress that has happened over the years, this whole competition is pretty darned awesome!!!  

yes

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
2/26/19 12:16 p.m.

And things were different pre cash for clunkers. Though OE tire sizes on things that are now sub $2000 allow for much greater mechanical grip. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
2/26/19 12:29 p.m.

rules changes have certainly helped.   four free sticker Hoosiers?   free brake rotors / calipers / hoses?   crediting the budget without actually having to sell the parts?   i'm getting a hydro-scope for my challenge gun, because this E36 M3 is shooting fish in a barrel.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/26/19 1:43 p.m.
captdownshift said:

And things were different pre cash for clunkers. Though OE tire sizes on things that are now sub $2000 allow for much greater mechanical grip. 

Sorry, but I've never once seen any real data that CFC had any impact on anything.  The number of cars taken off the road in ONE year was less than 5% of that year's total sales.  And given that it's been a decade since that happened, the effect is now nothing.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/26/19 1:45 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

rules changes have certainly helped.   four free sticker Hoosiers?   free brake rotors / calipers / hoses?   crediting the budget without actually having to sell the parts?   i'm getting a hydro-scope for my challenge gun, because this E36 M3 is shooting fish in a barrel.

That's a good point- the $2004 we spend in 2004 in now worth almost $2700, which is the cost of some really nice racing tires.  Which helps a LOT.

But still- the idea of a race where the value spent is less than the original $1500 is pretty darned impressive.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/26/19 1:55 p.m.

And some of us dont use all the budget exemptions, mostly because we can't afford to. My sm7 slicks are in the budget. Only my seatbelts and rollbar padding are not. 

Id love to be able to afford new a7s, but that ain't gonna happen. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/26/19 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

And some of us really cheap bastards run at half budget.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/26/19 4:24 p.m.
Stampie said:

And some of us like finishing in the top 5

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/26/19 5:29 p.m.
Stampie said:

And I’m trying to get away with quarter budget. Lol. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress New Reader
2/26/19 6:37 p.m.

I suspect that the peak of the cost vs. enjoyment curve at the challenge is right around 1k. 

Spend too little and it's tough to even finish the event-you're really sweating the pennies. 

If you spend too much, it's just as bad and you're probably taking this way to seriously (I'm guilty of this)

I propose we name this phenomena the "Stampie Curve"

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/26/19 7:40 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Thanks that got a good laugh from me.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/26/19 7:59 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

I suspect that the peak of the cost vs. enjoyment curve at the challenge is right around 1k. 

Spend too little and it's tough to even finish the event-you're really sweating the pennies. 

If you spend too much, it's just as bad and you're probably taking this way to seriously (I'm guilty of this)

I propose we name this phenomena the "Stampie Curve"

I second the motion !

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/26/19 9:16 p.m.

In 2014, my Q45 #1 with the rap theme, DJ and Cheerleaders finished 11th overall on half budget. 

The following year, the mechanically superior Q45 #2 finished 10th on a full budget. 

Both were fun but #1 was probably more awesome and more memorable. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress New Reader
2/27/19 8:45 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

DJ? Cheerleaders? Pics?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
2/27/19 11:30 a.m.
GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
2/28/19 6:15 a.m.

Honestly, That Little Girl Looks Scared.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
2/28/19 8:43 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I think that curve is accurate. The 323 is a fun, but very challenging exercise to keep within budget while aiming for competitiveness in the autocross and concourse portion. The EGT is a simply fun and enjoyable, much less complicated exercise in not being an embarrassment, and will likely finish within 2 seconds of the 323 in the autocross. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/28/19 11:47 a.m.
GTXVette said:

Honestly, That Little Girl Looks Scared.

I know I would be. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
3/1/19 8:37 p.m.
alfadriver said:
AngryCorvair said:

That's a good point- the $2004 we spend in 2004 in now worth almost $2700, which is the cost of some really nice racing tires.  Which helps a LOT.

But still- the idea of a race where the value spent is less than the original $1500 is pretty darned impressive.  

This is why we are recycling our challenge cars.  Our last 3 "builds" were 2010, 2014 and 2016 (#57).  2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 (#7) and 2017 were recycles.  If we return in 2019 or 2020, it will be recycled cars.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QTW3P3NAas5ENThReSJasAvcFxFMsihsOhsP1q1Jv4gnGyKwdXb3Cae3oEv5g7re