1 2
Stampie (Forum Supporter)
Stampie (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/2/20 7:37 p.m.

I got the 350z from pimpm3 without the factory Brembo brakes.  That's part of me getting the deal I got.  I knew I could put Brembo brakes back on it at no budget hit but I figured that showing up with a half budget car with Brembo brakes worth more than the car would be a dick move.  So my plan was to put the normal 350z factory brakes on.  I just reread the rule:

if non-OEM front and/or rear subframes/axles/hubs/knuckles are used, the year, make, model, and trim of the donor vehicle listed as an application in a major parts catalog

The trim thing gets me.  This is a track model and they only came with Brembo brakes.  Am I ok to use the normal 350z brakes when two rules are in conflict?

In reply to Stampie (Forum Supporter) :

The spirit of the Burchett rule seems to be around safety, with an exception for buying a car sans brakes. I'd say you're fine as long as the replacement components are of equal or lesser performance.

Caveat-I've been drinking.

Also-how are you and little stampie feeling?

Edit: Just got my forum supporter tag. Hell yes.

4/2/20 8:57 p.m.

I've been drinking also.

We're good thanks.

Congrats.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/2/20 9:01 p.m.

I'm enjoying my first pint since being sick.

a 10% pastry stout, baby steps, right? 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/2/20 9:03 p.m.

I brought this up as the rule was being formulated and was told yes that is a loophole and if someone was to buy a car without brakes and use the rule to put new oe type brakes on it, then so be it their brakes are free and big picture it's way better than people showing up with questionable brakes.  

do it

4/2/20 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Do Brembo's or the standard brakes?

4/2/20 9:09 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Now you have me wanting to break quarantine to get a good Samuel Smith Imperial Stout.  

Run_Away (Forum Supporter)
Run_Away (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/2/20 9:18 p.m.

My $0.02:

Base non-brembo brakes should be allowed at no budget hit

The label says Fitzgerald, but the 10% ABV says Hemingway.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
4/2/20 9:27 p.m.

Remember I was the guy with a full cage, extinguisher mounted, brand new harness 150 horse car when I say this.

I would err on the side of safety. I have no problem with better brakes if they fall inside the rules.

Edit -- Reading the next post and thinking about it, yeah core values might be the way to go. I would still use the best brakes I could but the core costs is the good guy vibe.

Also your gonna have to cough up core costs anyway with no brakes on it.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
4/2/20 9:39 p.m.
Stampie (Forum Supporter) said:

That's part of me getting the deal I got.  I knew I could put Brembo brakes back on it at no budget hit

I think In this situation you really should put acquisition costs of the worst brembo brakes on earth In the budget.  Like core rotors and calipers.  It seems to me the budget exemption assumes that you bought a car that had brakes that just need made safe.  Not specifically bought a car that had no breaks to make the deal better.  It sounds like you know the deal you got was as good as it was because missing breaks.    Just my thoughts do what you want.  The rule seems to allow you to put brembos on for free. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
4/2/20 9:44 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Guess I should have quoted this part of the role also:

This rule does allow adding stock replacement brake parts to a car that did not come with any at the time of sale.

I even cleared with Tom before making the deal that it was kosher. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/2/20 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

New Brembos, zero budget hit, not a dick.  It's not even a loophole, it is an expressedly legal move.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy MegaDork
4/2/20 10:03 p.m.

I'm not trying to be a dick, here, either. If I show up, I'll be DFL and happy just to finish so:

Brembos are "free" based on the rule, and what should be on the car, but a big hit to the wallet.

Stock brakes are probably going to be lighter, will probably offer almost similar stopping power with the right pad at autocross course speeds... Isn't unsprung weight savings a performance gain? Am I wrong about the stopping power? Does a couple of pounds make that much of a difference when chasing hundredths of seconds?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
4/2/20 10:11 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

You have valid points.  My thought when buying the 350z was having someone look at my half budget build in concourse and saying yeah right those Brembos are half budget.  I like your ideas on weight savings.  Might be worth claiming budget for standard to lose the weight because the Brembos aren't going to preform much better than standard at half the weight of the original car.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
4/2/20 10:22 p.m.

Now you have me wanting to break quarantine to get a good Samuel Smith Imperial Stout.  

It's Fl, during our quarantine Liquor is "essential". (actually not joking :-) )

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy MegaDork
4/2/20 10:25 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Finding stocks on a junkyard car shouldn't be too tough, either. I've seen a few G35s at the yards in various states of smashed.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
4/2/20 10:27 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

That was my plan well unit this all happened.  Looks like next weekend before I can go to the junkyard.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/2/20 10:40 p.m.

Brembos might be worse for autox and acceleration. Just saying.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
4/4/20 12:56 p.m.

Ok given that that is the rule, put brembos on for free or put lesser 350Z brakes on at real cost.   

BTW I hate autocorrect, makes me frequently sound like an idiot because it says breaks instead of breaks, role instead of rule, I instead of it, teh instead of the..  oh wait that last one is me..

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
4/4/20 8:22 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

After thinking about it more that's what I came to also.  Thanks Brett for pointing out the performance advantages of the smaller brakes.  I think they'll be worth the ~$30 junkyard hit.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/5/20 10:12 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) :

Brewed that one last year, it was the first of the series, Gertrude Stein was the 2nd, Fitzgerald is the 3rd. 4th and 5th are in barrels now...

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) SuperDork
4/6/20 11:12 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to nocones :

Guess I should have quoted this part of the role also:

This rule does allow adding stock replacement brake parts to a car that did not come with any at the time of sale.

I even cleared with Tom before making the deal that it was kosher. 

Seems pretty clear to me. The quoted rule says "stock replacement" brake parts. Brembos are stock on 350Z's.  Base model are also stock on 350Z's. You might be stretching the intent of the rule with the circumstances around the deal, but no one will really care. Go for it.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
4/13/20 1:14 p.m.

Have you ever  tried 'Fear Movie Lions' by Stone (unfiltered double IPA)?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
4/13/20 5:17 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

I'm not an IPA man.  I might be showing my age but I don't like all this new flavor E36 M3.  No I don't want a chocolate beer!  Give me a stout that I can stand a spoon up in.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TO1SQCgt1tYv1nDBz68WvzYQuW8J9lZplW2MjXSTM4Ivzd1yKjeYraGGhwuIoqSB