1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/12/14 11:29 a.m.

Ever since the wife and I decided to take a pre-baby vacation to the Grand Canyon (which she's never been to) I've been half-threatening to buy some derelict hunk of iron while we're out there and drive it back to Maryland. So today, this shows up in my 200 mile radius search of Pheonix:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131137867094?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#viTabs_0

Honey...

hobiercr
hobiercr Dork
3/12/14 12:00 p.m.

$290. This E36 M3 kills me. You so have to do this. If she doesn't want to drive back with you I will. 4 new tires, change the fluids and you're off. You so need to do this.

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
3/12/14 12:45 p.m.

and we have a new high bidder

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
3/12/14 12:50 p.m.

btw if i win it i'll pay for you to drive it back under the condition that you don't tell it that you're driving it back for someone else in maryland who purchased it. She'll be emotionally scarred for life

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
3/12/14 1:24 p.m.

Didn't JG have a similar car a couple of years ago that he brought down from Canada?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/12/14 1:53 p.m.

I bid the anniversary of our engagement (3/17) Someone else has the higher bid...

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
3/12/14 2:00 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: Didn't JG have a similar car a couple of years ago that he brought down from Canada?

I think that was a 142.

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
3/12/14 2:10 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

sorry :( someone else had bid up to $500, so i nosed above them.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
3/12/14 2:11 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: I bid the anniversary of our engagement (3/17) Someone else has the higher bid...

you left out the year... you've got tons to cover that

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/12/14 2:26 p.m.

I could always do our anniversary...10/22

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
3/12/14 2:30 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

you'd outbid me if you do ;)

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
3/12/14 8:48 p.m.

Here is a link to the GRM 122 project car: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1967-volvo-122s/

Per bought the car in Maryland and drove it back to FL for the project. I bought it from him and brought it back to Maryland. On factory springs, this will be fun to drive cross country. On IPD sport springs with Konis and big sways, not so much. Ask me how I know.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/13/14 6:59 a.m.

In reply to AaronBalto:

I've read that article. Do you still have the Amazon in MD? I have a sort-of Volvo 122 collection, nee pick n' pull, near Westminster. My wife and I did the Asphault Adventures last year in our '67 wagon. Fun times, though certainly not fast times. ;-)

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/13/14 7:02 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to volvoclearinghouse: you'd outbid me if you do ;)

Are you high bidder?

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
3/13/14 9:07 a.m.

I am still the high bidder (although i expect it to be bid up to over $3k before it sells), I wasn't kidding when i said that i'd pay you to drive it back to MD (I'm in Baltimore county) under the condition that you don't tell SWMBO that it's for someone else. Even if you do tell her she wouldn't believe you once you cross the Mississippi with it still en route.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/16/14 9:12 a.m.

$585, with only a little over a day and a half left. This is a steal!

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
3/16/14 10:15 a.m.

Watching, but I agree it'll probably sell for more than Challenge money by the time the auction ends. Snipers can quickly run up a bid in the last minute.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/16/14 1:34 p.m.

I've been following Amazon values for the past 10 years. This is a four door, and while it's rust free it's being sold in the land of the rust free cars, which means that anyone who's really impressed by its rust-free-edness is going to have to shuck out a number of those goofy new 100 dollar bills to ship it home. I think this is going to sell way under Challenge money, with plenty left in the budget to ship it home.

Some cool things I like about the 4 doors though- they share the same roof line and wheelbase as the 2 doors (and wagons, too, actually). And the 4 door is less than 100# heavier than the 2 door, so performance potential is about equal.

calteg
calteg Reader
3/16/14 6:23 p.m.

Dang, that's a steal. I was looking at a local TX Amazon that the guy wanted $1000. It was his parts donor, rust everywhere, completely thrashed interior, missing about half of the original bits. Needless to say I passed

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
3/16/14 7:55 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse: Yes, I still have it. It's gone from being a "magazine project car" to being an "older restoration." But still a very cool, very fun car.

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
3/17/14 6:54 a.m.

sadly i'm no longer the high bidder (though i may up my bid tonight before bed) I'm picking up a 240 wagon this weekend, and would really like to get the amazon as well but finding space for the projects (pair of mazdas and dang dsm) will be tough. If the price stays in the current ballpark though i liekly won't be able to pass it up.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/17/14 7:09 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Ooh, 240 wagon? Auto or manual? I've always kinda wanted one of those new fangled brick volvos.

So this weekend I picked up the 3 volvos in Delaware. Two Amazons and a 544, $750 for the lot of them.

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
3/17/14 7:17 a.m.

i knew that you'd pick up the delaware cars, i expect you to get the oxen hill, md amazon as well. The 240 is a manual, needs a clutch and windshield, other than that she's solid. The plan is once i'm able to wrench again (yet another doc appointment this afternoon) to get the 240 running, sell the xb, refresh bits on the 240, daily it and rallyx it some while finishing the mazda.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/17/14 8:48 a.m.

The oxen hill ad is just for Amazon drivetrain bits, it appears. I've already got plenty of those.

One of the Dover Amazons had a rusted- through oil pan. How does that even happen???!!!

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
3/17/14 9:37 a.m.

that's the last piece i'd ever expect to rust through, makes me worried about the block and internals as a whole as i'd venture there's no signs of oil from keeping internals from at least scaling.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zZA65dfzjKxeMsl858uxlIk6GhsSZLqGvM5NxOBD8VjmO7LQEOqsraRO6CGcWmOk