mrjoshm
mrjoshm Reader
6/24/11 11:10 p.m.

I don't want to sell this because I still have dreams of making it a challenge car, but I want to gauge interest, because I am still a couple years off from starting the build... so, if someone else wants it then it has to be my civic duty to let it go.

If you don't want to be bored to death with the story of this car, skip to the end for price... this is a 1986 Volkswagen Quantum Syncro Wagon, rumored to be 1 of only a few hundred in the USA (probably because they were some insane price, like $25k when new) but I could be wrong... either way, I got this one from my uncle-in-law, when he was just my girlfriends cool uncle, 8 years ago for $150, I still have the pink slip from that. I drove it 150 miles home with no rear brakes, then put it on a lift to find that the front control arm bushings were shot, all four tires had cracks in them that looked like slashes, and the brakes all needed rebuilt.. I also found an endless supply of rust. I then bought a full set of doors for about $200 more, and tons of brake parts that aren't on the car anymore... so you'd need a lot of parts..

also, in the last 8 years, mice ate through the wiring harness, the brake lines rusted, and it fuel lines are probably shot too..., so you should probably just swap in a carbureted american V8 and tranny, and just run it RWD, that was my plan, and honestly, seemed to be the least amount of work.

Sadly, to any interested party, you have a lot of work a head of you, but, luckily, I only want $150 for the car, so your challenge budget is basically untouched.

mrjoshm
mrjoshm New Reader
6/24/11 11:13 p.m.

oh snap! Located in near Pittsburgh, PA, at 15068.

mrjoshm
mrjoshm New Reader
6/24/11 11:15 p.m.

and if anyone is seriously interested, I can find out for sure what parts are missing from the car, but I'm pretty sure it's just rear brake parts, because I wanted to see if they would fit my '92 jetta, and they did...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/24/11 11:27 p.m.

I have a friend who got a really good deal on 3 of these. One was made into a daily driver, another was a part car that got cut up. and the third...

El Quantimino!

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
6/25/11 8:50 a.m.

It's sort of sad. VW once had the kind of car that Subaru and Volvo now sell as their "principal" money makers, but they were about 5 to 10 years too soon to market. And now, what are they selling? A car that is suppose to compete with all those other plain vanilla/greyish sedans.

BTW, cool idea: an AWD German El Camino competitor.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PSMz4dQgWeuQzrVZ6cktLnDZpKVNsfnaaMJ5Tkd5q9cdCMGiODXKfGtHquY9Safq