2 3 4 5
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/7/22 8:35 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

There's no rule stating that the entire rod can't be a bent diameter. Selecting one that's already been tossed is the way to go.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/8/22 7:38 p.m.

Chili cook off:  everyone is a winner.  

2/8/22 7:54 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

There's now camping. People using port-a-potties never win after a chili cook off 

2/8/22 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

You need to learn to make better chili in that case.  It doesn't have to cause that.

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
2/9/22 1:53 p.m.

I've also thought about an actual street legal or street driven class?  Maybe call it the "Yes Officer" or "license, registration and Insurance please" class.  That would require driving the vehicle to everything.  Drive to the challenge, if hotel, then back and forth to the hotel.

As GameboyRMH posted up the suggestion this morning...if a track day at the Firm is a possible "day after the challenge" addition, probably an unofficial addition, then it drives to the firm as well.

With the car counts growing for the "Race Week" type of events, think 1 lap of America, but for drag racing.  Sick Week is going on right now in Florida.  Hundreds of cars entered in multiple classes, 5 drag strips visited from Bradenton Florida to Orlando Speed World to Gainesville Raceway to South Georgia Motorsports park then back to Bradenton to finish around 800 miles of street driving.

I'm a fan of the already 3 disciplines of the $2000 Challenge!  If street driven and or road course components could be added, with options to opt in or out of each segment, even better.

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
2/9/22 8:34 p.m.

In reply to Catch22 :

We are planning to do that with the 2JZ Mustang. 

not just drive it to the challenge, but compete in future drag/drive events (most likely with Challenge decals still on it)

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/12/22 8:46 p.m.
Catch22 said:

I've also thought about an actual street legal or street driven class?  Maybe call it the "Yes Officer" or "license, registration and Insurance please" class.  That would require driving the vehicle to everything.  Drive to the challenge, if hotel, then back and forth to the hotel.

As GameboyRMH posted up the suggestion this morning...if a track day at the Firm is a possible "day after the challenge" addition, probably an unofficial addition, then it drives to the firm as well.

With the car counts growing for the "Race Week" type of events, think 1 lap of America, but for drag racing.  Sick Week is going on right now in Florida.  Hundreds of cars entered in multiple classes, 5 drag strips visited from Bradenton Florida to Orlando Speed World to Gainesville Raceway to South Georgia Motorsports park then back to Bradenton to finish around 800 miles of street driving.

I'm a fan of the already 3 disciplines of the $2000 Challenge!  If street driven and or road course components could be added, with options to opt in or out of each segment, even better.

Check out gastropod. That's exactly what it is. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/12/22 9:31 p.m.

It has to be something where the playing field is level for all Challenge entrants. It can't be something that adds up to a second challenge project because few have enough time to get the Challenge car done(ish) in the first place. So potentially, everyone should have the means to participate by dint of having a car in the Challenge.  Physical/athletic ability can not be a factor nor can $$$.

My proposal:

Who can make the best ( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )  launcher, using only stuff off of their challenge car and any tools they brought or can find on site.

Since the cars themselves are budget limited, then so will this be by default.

Figure the participants are going to have it planned out before they arrive, so it should not take too long to execute and play the game.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/13/22 8:39 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

has  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ consented to being launched?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/14/22 12:30 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

"Yeet the Nonack" sounds like an equally good TV game show, or band name. 

2/16/22 5:53 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

You need to learn to make better chili in that case.  It doesn't have to cause that.

And in our family we cook chili on a lot of camping trips, and no one gets stomach issues.  My 8 year old daughter loves chili.  We can make it as delicious as you like..... but if you like fire; I can deliver that too.  I'd trust fresh ground beef and chilis more than I'd trust a lot of camping fare for stomach concerns. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
2/18/22 5:24 a.m.

Using bison from Aldi is our secret

2/18/22 7:56 a.m.

I'd throw a chili cook off by making it stomach ravaging (and not consuming any of it myself) if it was going to make autocrossing uncomfortable the following morning for others. Bad chili can be used to create a competitive advantage. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/18/22 8:05 a.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

Using bison from Aldi is our secret

If you think bison is good in chili, try it in taco's.

Really bison is better in almost every situation

2/20/22 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Bison is a great meat.  I really love bison burgers and anything bison in my smoker.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
2/28/22 7:22 p.m.

Zombie thread on TIG welding came up on the main page.  Someone suggested "welding-camp".  If anyone has machines available at the challenge, I would pass on some tips to those who are interested.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/28/22 8:02 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Could you demonstrate how to weld up my cage?  I'll need a lot of demo.  Probably a whole cage worth.

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/3/22 6:52 a.m.

any consideration for future inclusion of a mini-TT using the road course, in addition to autox and drag racing?

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
3/3/22 7:16 a.m.
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) said:

any consideration for future inclusion of a mini-TT using the road course, in addition to autox and drag racing?

That mini road course hasn't been used for any Motorsport in years, as far as I know.  Kind of sad. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/3/22 7:35 a.m.

I really, really like this idea

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/3/22 8:48 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

That mini road course hasn't been used for any Motorsport in years, as far as I know.  Kind of sad. 

yea, i think my autox club, jax solo may have been the last to autox on it... and that was ~6 years ago. it just got too expensive, almost equivalent to FIRM rental and the area around is somewhat challenging to use for paddock. but, i think you could use it to grid cars for a TT...

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
3/3/22 8:56 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) :

I love the idea. But I'm pretty sure it's been brought up before and didn't get very far. 

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
3/9/22 1:08 a.m.
TVR Scott said:

Zombie thread on TIG welding came up on the main page.  Someone suggested "welding-camp".  If anyone has machines available at the challenge, I would pass on some tips to those who are interested.

Still no idea if I'll be bringing a car but I could bring my HF ProTIG 205.  Literally only used it to have a team member weld up the aluminum rad in the 2020 car.  I really need to clean up/out the shop and work on anything!!!

I have only used it on 240 volt, but it is said to "run" on 120 as well.  So that should help on the power requirement side of things.

Let me know if this idea makes any headroom.  I like the idea of folks sharing some of the knowledge they have gained from working with the Challenge mindset!!!

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
3/9/22 8:28 a.m.

In reply to Catch22 :

Thanks!  That's great!

I have a 110 wire-feed welder that works just fine on thin steel.  Yours should be similar.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/12/22 10:42 p.m.

Isn't an autocross more or less a mini TT?

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rHNVOs5QkRFpnevhitOEkW4FunMJ4syP06p3YYstl8NtdYFRiuMhz6uVcjThFsSq