1 2
series8217
series8217 New Reader
6/28/13 11:09 a.m.

Roush Yates is out of these and I'm not sure where else to get them. There's one on ebay but its waayyy overpriced.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Reader
6/28/13 11:41 a.m.

I may have a source for a few. You could also check "2nd chance race parts" online. They have had a few listed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/28/13 12:09 p.m.

There was a run on them earlier this year for some reason :) The "overpriced" ones on eBay are reflecting current market value. Well, plus a bit of hopefulness. The $300 ones were always the exception, not the rule.

Try "Haycitigo99" on eBay, I think that might be 2nd Chance. He's supplied a couple to me.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
6/28/13 1:10 p.m.

I paid $440 for two last month after asking around the ricer/drifter groups on Facebook. They were the only wings I could find priced at less than $400/wing. One of them has non-standard mounts, but it's strong prepreg carbon (I hope).

If you can stomach it, post a WTB on some of the ricer hangouts.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/28/13 2:02 p.m.

Great deal, Warren.

I've got a show car COT wing on the way here. From what I've heard, the mounts aren't as securely attached and doesn't have the tethers. The latter is not a problem, the former is apparently surmountable. I'll let you know once it's here.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
6/28/13 2:38 p.m.

Yup, one is a normal CoT wing, I was disappointed to see that the other has a non-standard mount. I'm assuming it's a show wing, but it's built very solidly. Those aluminum inserts actually go all around the profile of the wing. I did a thorough engineering analysis on the strength (the well-respected standing-on-the-mount-with-the-wing-upside-down test), and I'm pretty confident it won't give us problems. The markings on that wing are: PENNON 06-038. The other wing with standard CoT mounts has a sticker labeled AGR-WING-COT and a serial number. That sticker has a sharpie dot on it, which gives me a good reminder me of the times I've been through race scrutineering.

As I didn't get them directly from a team, they're definitely going to be tested at high speed with a GoPro pointed at the mounts before we run at VIR.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/28/13 3:12 p.m.

The race spec ones I have bear a sticker. I'll check one out next time I'm in the office.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
6/29/13 3:00 a.m.

Thanks for the tips. So I guess I missed the boat. The only real one on ebay right now is listed for $1000 and the other one is a "non-competition wing".

If the non-competition wing can be made to be work I wouldn't mind having to do a bit of extra labor. I'd be interested to hear what it takes to use one.

I'll keep an eye on the 2nd Chance website. I looked for Haycitigo99 on ebay but that doesn't seem to be a valid seller ID.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/29/13 8:59 a.m.

I'll let you know what I find.

Sorry, it's haycitgo99.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
7/2/13 7:28 a.m.

Is this a competition wing or show wing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Cot-Wing-Road-Race-Or-Collector-Clint-Bowyer-/271232333720?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item3f26b4f798&vxp=mtr

Since it doesn't have the extra sets of mounting holes on the bottom, I assume its a show wing?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/2/13 9:03 a.m.

As far as I can tell, the race wings have six rivets on each mount (three on each side of the mount) and a hole by the inner forward mount for the tether. The show car wings only have rivets on one side of the mount, and I've heard they don't have the slot for the wickerbill.

This one looks like a race wing to me. All the ones I've handled have not had extra holes in the bottom, I think those get added by subsequent owners.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
7/2/13 10:08 a.m.

Thanks for the quick response! I bought it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/8/13 3:37 p.m.

UPDATE!

I got my show wing. Quite a bit different. It's a different weave and not as strong. The end plates are not removable. The wickerbill is fixed in place and the mounts are different. I'm thinking I'll cut the end plates off and take a look inside to evaluate the mounts. Then I'll foam it (maybe with an aluminum tube inside for strength) and mount some of my own end plates on it.

It might be the GRM solution to the GRM COT wing.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
7/8/13 3:52 p.m.

In for updates. I am interested in trying a COT wing but can't justify the price at this point.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/9/13 5:55 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

The guy that runs our laser facility just got his show wing in the mail (we're trying to talk him out of an LS7 and into an LS3, just to give you an idea of how much of the Exocet kool-aid he's had). It's shockingly flimsy, and the mounts are completely different and just attached to the surface. I like your tube and foam idea, which gave me another.

I don't think we should even try to mount on the surface of the wing, since it's just going to flex like crazy and delaminate from whatever reinforcement is added. The trick is distributing the load in the first place.

The aluminum shape would have a hole laser cut to 0.95" and then reamed to 1". Chamfer the hole on one side. Trash the current mounts. Cut slots on the bottom of the wing where the mounts were. Insert this single aluminum replacement mount into the slot. Cut a 1.25" hole in one of the endcaps. Drop in a 1" aluminum tube, being sure to get in the aluminum replacement mount. Once it's loosely assembled, tape the gaps around the replacement mounts' holes. Sit the wing on end, and slowly pour two-part foam into the wing. No need to attach the tube and mounts, the reamed fit is good enough, and there won't be much thrust loading on the tube. Once the wing is filled with pour foam, slap the endplates on, and silicone seal around the mounts. The shape of the mount and silicone will resist the tendency for the wing to rotate around the tube. From experience with that pour foam, you would be able to jump on the wing afterwards.

I could do some testing and make this aluminum mounts happen. What do you think?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/9/13 7:01 a.m.

I dig. Nice solution to the mounts.

Thing is, I don't think you can R&R those end plates. Besides, the ones on ours are the goofy asymmetrical aerofoil type. While the laser's lasing, I'd also cut some new end plates that have your 1" hole in them to key into the spar. Attach with silicone after the foam has been trimmed away.

I can't figure exactly how the current mounts are attached. It doesn't look like they're surface mounted, possibly they're on the inner surface. Have you seen inside it yet?

series8217
series8217 New Reader
7/15/13 12:33 a.m.

I just got back from Mexico and checked out my wing which arrived while I was gone. It's a legit race wing. Removable endplates, nice construction, stiff as hell, etc.

It would be cool to come up with a low-cost solution for the show wings, but it sure sounds like a lot of work!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/15/13 12:44 a.m.

Time and money are the same thing - if you don't spend one, you have to spend the other...

series8217
series8217 New Reader
7/17/13 5:05 p.m.

Sorry, I meant to write too much work.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
7/21/13 1:58 p.m.

Are there straight COT endplates with airfoil extensions? Mine came with the "left turn" plates that have aerfoil extensions molded in, and some flat aluminum ones that the previous owner fabbed up. It would be nice to have a couple extra inches of extra wing, and carbon fiber.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/21/13 2:09 p.m.

I've only seen asymmetrical airfoils and flat ends. There are flat CF ones out there with the extra inch of wing section on there, you can usually pick them up separately. My wing came with them.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
7/29/13 1:13 p.m.

Further discussion here outside the classifieds section:

Fiero notchback rear aero (NASCAR COT wing)

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
7/29/13 9:01 p.m.

It would be wrong to put such a wing on the Cutlass

series8217
series8217 New Reader
7/30/13 10:45 a.m.

In reply to rebelgtp:

If you need to go fast and turn hard, why not?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
7/30/13 12:02 p.m.

In reply to series8217:

Shhh trying to convince myself not to spend money.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l8xBduNKN8D68nFsd0is27IOZl1HDc79GX7yPKn8nlHGBkwZxZlYGuOoUjKIu0ps