volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
1/17/14 8:42 a.m.

Mine:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4231490589.html

Bought the car on eBay last year in a fit of...well, frankly, I don't know what I was thinking. We had an old, rusty Nash by the fire pit at out old house, and since we'd just moved, I guess I felt like I wanted the old, rusty Nash by the fire pit tradition to continue.

But unlike the last Nash, this one is mostly complete, rolls, has an engine (that turns over, even), overdrive trans, glass, and a title. It's got to be good for something, for someone.

It's b een off the road for something like 30 years and the rust monster has not been kind to it. But it's surprisingly intact and complete, and when I hooked up a battery all the lights even worked.

Use your imagination...

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/17/14 7:12 a.m.

Bump, relisted, more pics:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4377399767.html

bgkast
bgkast Dork
3/17/14 9:25 a.m.

That thing is sweet. Good thing it's far away!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/14 10:33 a.m.

Love that nose. Looks like it is directly out of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".

Teach me about that overdrive...

I am seeing a knob on the dash. Does it engage by cable? Is it a separate unit from the trans? Mechanical, Hydraulic, Air?

Inquiring minds want to know...

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/17/14 10:42 a.m.

A number of cars from this era had this sort of overdrive. Essentially it's just a cable-operated overdrive added on to the back of the conventional "3 on the tree" manual transmission. From what I understand there was some level of intelligence to it, in that it wouldn't engage below a certain speed, or it would disengage if vehicle speed dropped too low...I've never driven a vehicle with it, so I can only speak of 3rd hand info.

These OD units are somewhat valuable in and of themselves.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
3/18/14 10:31 a.m.

With those fenders covering the tires as much as they do I would bet this would make a sweet street rod on air bags.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/25/14 7:16 a.m.

Found a great new home for the Nash- a local fellow who restores WWII Jeeps and was looking for something post-war to add to his collection. He does metal work and thinks he can bring the old girl back to roadworthy shape. He and his fiance picked the car up last night- he's excited about it, and I'm happy it's gone to someone who will appreciate it. Everybody wins.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eGiYrvJ7ySnDAL4xfxq8CGVtrMwqWV50ZZyDb0l1NBKmtssnof92D0qvzhmeCm2d