Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/11/15 1:14 p.m.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5216547486.html

"71 opel Gt 4 speed 4 cylinder clean title bring your trailer complete car but needs restored These are rare cars-1,500"

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
9/11/15 3:13 p.m.

I tried to get a 71 Kadett running once, same chassis and most mechanics, cool little cars. I found replacing the brake system to be prohibitive at the time, but I think I could have worked something out given enough time and motivation. $1500 seems high.

Spinout007
Spinout007 UberDork
9/11/15 3:56 p.m.

There's a part of me that really wants to put a boosted rotary in one of those. Though in hindsight to that comment, it would likely melt the front end.

stan
stan UltraDork
9/11/15 4:13 p.m.

That's been for sale for quite a while. You might be able to cut the asking price down 40% or so after this long. He had some other interesting cars too as I remember.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
9/11/15 10:10 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: There's a part of me that really wants to put a boosted rotary in one of those. Though in hindsight to that comment, it would likely melt the front end.

I have a restored 70. I've had the same evil thoughts. Make it a 20B and swap out the suspension from a Miata to improve the handling and brakes. But a different one from my restored stock one. But not that one. Over priced for how rusty it is.

Spinout007
Spinout007 UberDork
9/12/15 12:13 a.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

LOL I'm glad I'm not alone in my sickness.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/12/15 12:16 a.m.

There are two of them in the back of the Flyin' Miata shop. The boss man wants to put a Miata suspension and drivetrain into one. Heh, they're a lot smaller than a Miata and the transmission is about 18" long. He's been working on this since 2006 or so and all he's managed to do is take the drivetrain and suspension out of one of them, so it's not a high speed project so far.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
9/12/15 1:54 a.m.

Probably easier to graft the Opel front and rear onto a Miata. When I had one of each parked side by side that's what I came up with.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/12/15 5:49 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

He's probably better off with a Miata drivetrain combined with a more "locost" like suspension, although being a uni-body car, that will be tricky...

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
9/12/15 8:47 a.m.

These cars in good condition and running can be worth something but in this condition it can't be much. I know a friend who bought one for less then $500 and it was a complete car with a lot less rust.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/12/15 5:45 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: He's probably better off with a Miata drivetrain combined with a more "locost" like suspension, although being a uni-body car, that will be tricky...

I'm staying far, far away...

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
9/12/15 10:11 p.m.

The front suspension un-bolts and comes out as an assembly. Transverse leaf spring. Seen someone use an Opel GT front suspension in a Hillman wagon that had a BB V8 in the front and tubbed rear.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oLd30w6HMtxzXhHhy7EspK0Eu9qhgJgZTYV8Ux2TFJCOpneHI4TPAmpIGDJp2ZaR