1 2
ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
1/29/14 5:45 p.m.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T!

I bought the car with the intention of keeping it for years. I have to many projects, and while I would love to keep this car and restore it... If it goes to a good home before I can get around to it restoring it.... Great!

I bought the car about this time last year. Installed new suspension bushings, Shocks, Struts, brakes, headliner motor mounts..... Ect.. The car is nearly all stock with the exception of a 3" exhaust and replacement parts.. It hasn't been some kids hot rod.

It ran great, shifted fine, it was fast, fun and gave very little trouble through the summer. Sometime around last fall it developed a light knock. I suspect an I shaft failure causing loss of oil pressure (common T3 issue).. It has been parked since.

I dunno... 1700 OBO

In Kansas City.

fastasleep
fastasleep Reader
1/31/14 6:48 p.m.

More pics to lesburchett@yahoo.com?

-Les

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
2/2/14 11:14 a.m.

Email Sent!

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
2/2/14 1:46 p.m.

can you post a pic of the interior & shifer? do these have an A555?

psteav
psteav Dork
2/3/14 10:48 a.m.

In reply to dansxr2:

Better still, A568.

Ron, you want me to post up the pics you sent me?

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
2/3/14 12:04 p.m.
psteav wrote: In reply to dansxr2: Better still, A568. Ron, you want me to post up the pics you sent me?

Which was the basis for the transaxle in the 1st-gen Neons. Also the work they did on the DOHC heads for the (Lotus) R/T and the (Cosworth) Maserati TC went into the Neon motors (they even share bore centers and head bolt patterns).

Only the Maserati TC DOHC 5-speeds and the Neon SRT4's had stronger transaxles from the Chrysler factory.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
2/3/14 12:16 p.m.

Did the TC have the Turbo III?

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
2/3/14 1:21 p.m.
dansxr2 wrote: Did the TC have the Turbo III?

Nope. The TC had an optional DOHC turbo motor that was developed by Chrysler and Maserati with Cosworth doing the casting. It is completely different from the T3 which was developed by Lotus for Chrysler and Shelby.

TC motor:

TIII motor:

Always thought it was odd that Lotus developed a head for Chrysler/Shelby and didn't have Cosworth produce it, but the Chrysler/Maserati head was produced by Cosworth. Then to add confusion, Shelby had Hans Hermann (of BMW fame) produce a small run of DOHC heads for Shelby's development mules (including his GLH-S) and the Chrysler M4S PPG Pace Car which used a Cosworth Ford BDG cylinder head on a standard Chrysler 2.2 block that was cast without cylinder head bolt holes to fit the Ford head.

Unfortunately parts for the Maserati TC motor are hard to find (or were, not sure at this point) compared to the TIII motors (which aren't exactly easy to find certain parts for either). this is why so many people started converting their 2.2 and 2.5 turbo blocks to 2.0/2.4L Neon/Stratus heads before they realized that they could swap in the entire drivetrains much more easily and add a turbo or use parts from a PT Cruiser or SRT4.

http://www.allpar.com/model/tc.html

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/22t.html

http://www.allpar.com/racing/joe-pappas-m4s.html

Hans Hermann head:

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/3/14 4:01 p.m.

So nice to see another Spirit R/T out there! I wish I was closer, I would snag this! I would love to have another one!

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
2/4/14 11:09 p.m.

An idea on how good a deal this is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291068402731

You couldn't get this car looking as good for the price difference, let alone running as well :)

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
2/7/14 9:40 a.m.

In reply to psteav:

Sure....

And this one is running but knocking...

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
2/7/14 9:46 a.m.

oh and sorry about forgetting about this thread.. Without the "your posts" at the top of each page... Well...

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
2/7/14 1:42 p.m.

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
2/7/14 1:43 p.m.

I do have the original wheels also... The crab wheels on there are just "rollers"...

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
4/23/14 9:26 p.m.

Bump. Sells cheap this weekend. Come and get it!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/23/14 9:31 p.m.

Unfortunately I'm 16 hours away and broke, but out of curiosity, how "cheap"?

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
4/23/14 9:37 p.m.

1k if it goes very soon.

Otherwise I am going to have to make time to build a Shortblock. I really like thisone

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/23/14 10:03 p.m.

Dang, what a great deal. Bump for more views. Somebody needs to buy this!

I still have my wrecked R/T if someone wants it for parts for this one.

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
4/24/14 8:45 a.m.

How far away are you from KC?

Running engine?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/24/14 8:55 a.m.

I'm about 16 hours away in Raleigh, NC. I have not started the car since the crash. The front end got really crushed, but amazingly the engine seems to be unscathed. The tow place removed the battery, and the radiator is toast.

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
4/24/14 9:11 a.m.

16 hours is quite a haul. Almost build this engine in the time it would take to make the drive.

What are you asking though and I'll pass it along

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/24/14 9:18 a.m.

A classic, please someone save her!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/24/14 9:19 a.m.

Insurance company wanted $850 for it, for a GRMer I could let it go for $300. Catch being they have to take the whole car. It's going to be a long time before I can afford to do anything with it.

thesedreams80
thesedreams80
5/3/14 6:06 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

Do you still have it?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
5/3/14 10:02 a.m.

Yes, I still have it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners