1 2 3
dmidknight
dmidknight Reader
8/1/12 1:36 p.m.

Ok family, now this is going to hurt. Austin Mini that was running a few years ago, but needs to be gone through. Had been restored probably 7 years ago but looking a bit worse for wear now. I know its done less than a thousand miles since it was redone, but it has been sitting up for a while, and needs some attention to the door bottoms and the right rear. It's all there though. I actually owned this car once before, and had put in a very sweet running 1000cc motor (998 actually) at the time. It's the same motor in it now, but I have not taken the time to get it going again. Really on the fence with this one, as I know it's worth a lot more with a little effort. But time is not something I have a lot of now, and I know someone in the GRM family will really enjoy this. No title, but one can be had easily through the Georgial title services or through other vendors. Rims in pictures are not included at this price, but can be included in sale. Comes with regular Mini wheels and worn tires. Check out the pics, and give me a call if interested. Thanks. $2012 for you guys and gals. Y'all been good to me. 850-33.9.- 1.3..6...9.. Wayne 'Midknight'

DSCI0006

DSCI0007

DSCI0008

DSCI0010

DSCI0005

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/1/12 1:38 p.m.

Wow, sorry you have to let it go. I know this is said a lot, but if you were closer this really would be on its way to my garage. But I can't take the time or money to deal with getting it all the way to Ohio. Sigh.

dmidknight
dmidknight Reader
8/1/12 1:43 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Thanks. Maybe it can be relayed up there through the GRM network

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
8/1/12 1:47 p.m.

Georgia. Balls. My wife would squeal like a little girl if I came home with a classic Mini.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
8/1/12 2:21 p.m.

Damnit... I wish you were closer to PA... This is pretty much EXACTLY the kind of Mini I'm looking for - a crusty project car I could set-up for rally-x and general beating on...

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
8/1/12 2:55 p.m.

ARG!!!! I NEED this!

Since it is older than 1986, does it need a title? Or does a bill of sale work in the state of Georgia?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
8/1/12 2:57 p.m.

What are the plans on all the other minis in the backgrounds?

nocones
nocones Dork
8/1/12 3:51 p.m.

What would your price be with the wheels and getting a Title? I made the mistake of buying one vehicle based on "getting a tittle is easy through such and such" and that ended with a sawzall so never again will I buy a vehicle with no title that I intend to use on the road.

And where exactly is it?

metalman
metalman Reader
8/1/12 5:00 p.m.

Georgia wont issue a title for this. That would require a title on it from another state and the right paperwork. Seen this play out a few times. Without that I would say that this is pretty much a bill of sale car only. Period. Even so I would buy it today without hesitation. I just have no transport for it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/1/12 8:16 p.m.

What year is it?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/1/12 8:17 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: What are the plans on all the other minis in the backgrounds?

Also this.

Tralfaz
Tralfaz New Reader
8/2/12 8:28 a.m.

Hi

Where in Georgia? Your photo account says the pics are from 09. Are they still a good representation?

Or is the date from a camera that's not set up?

Thanks

Brian

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/2/12 8:43 a.m.
metalman wrote: Georgia wont issue a title for this.

You sure?

That has not been my experience.

metalman
metalman Reader
8/2/12 9:14 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
You sure? That has not been my experience.

Yep. Seen this play out with Mini's many times. Unless you produce a title from GA or elsewhere you wont be getting one. GA isnt in the business of issuing titles on non titled cars generally. In fact I have seen people pay 10-12k for a classic Mini with 'paperwork' to have GA deny them a title.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/2/12 9:17 a.m.
metalman wrote:
SVreX wrote:
You sure? That has not been my experience.
Yep. Seen this play out with Mini's many times. Unless you produce a title from GA or elsewhere you wont be getting one. GA isnt in the business of issuing titles on non titled cars generally. In fact I have seen people pay 10-12k for a classic Mini with 'paperwork' to have GA deny them a title.

But if it is old enough you don't need a title... (35 years in Alabama).

metalman
metalman Reader
8/2/12 9:21 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: But if it is old enough you don't need a title... (35 years in Alabama).

Yes. But registration is another matter. You can do that but you will NOT be issued a title. No title greatly affects value as well. Many states wont even issue registration without title.

Many so called 'title service' companies only secure you a registration NOT a title so beware of that as well.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/2/12 9:24 a.m.
metalman wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: But if it is old enough you don't need a title... (35 years in Alabama).
Yes. But registration is another matter. You can do that but you will NOT be issued a title. No title greatly affects value as well. Many states wont even issue registration without title. Many so called 'title service' companies only secure you a registration NOT a title so beware of that as well.

I thought most states would issue a title if the car is bought from a state that didn't require a title for old cars.

metalman
metalman Reader
8/2/12 9:27 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I thought most states would issue a title if the car is bought from a state that didn't require a title for old cars.

Nope. Maybe back in the old days but not anymore. It used to be common for shady dealers to engage in title washing to roll back odometers etc and most states have greatly changed their laws to prevent this.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/2/12 9:28 a.m.
metalman wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: I thought most states would issue a title if the car is bought from a state that didn't require a title for old cars.
Nope. Maybe back in the old days but not anymore.

Gay. Oh well I live in Alabama.

metalman
metalman Reader
8/2/12 9:38 a.m.

In Georgia here's the deal:

You can title a 1963-1985 year model vehicles IF: 1) you have a title issued in your name; 2) the owner on the front of the title has assigned the title to you; 3) the owner on the front of the title has assigned the title to a dealer and the dealer has assigned the title to you.

Straight talk from the GDOR. Obviously you wont be able to get a GA title for this car.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/2/12 9:48 a.m.

So, if you have a car from a non-title state, how would you prove ownership of it in a title state? I've always wondered that. Say you have an Alabama car that's over 35 years old and someone in Georgia wants to buy it. How do they get it into their name?

metalman
metalman Reader
8/2/12 10:10 a.m.
dculberson wrote: So, if you have a car from a non-title state, how would you prove ownership of it in a title state? I've always wondered that. Say you have an Alabama car that's over 35 years old and someone in Georgia wants to buy it. How do they get it into their name?

In some states you have a off road parts car only. In fact I think that may be the case in a majority of states. To be honest in some states you won't be able to prove ownership and people from such regions will not generally buy a non titled car.

In GA you can register/tag an old car with a bill of sale, specific paperwork, and a police inspection. But, you will NOT get a title. Lack of a title is a big deal in the big picture. It greatly limits the value of classics as it narrows the potential buying pool and actually eliminates many who live in states where non titled vehicles cannot even be registered/tagged/driven. For this reason many ( who shall go un named) folks obtain titles and VIN tags from rust buckets and switch them onto other cars....like this one. That is highly illegal BTW, but its done frequently, especially with classic Minis. Half of them out there for sale are not the correct year model as indicated and/or have 'falsified' paperwork. When you actually have a documented Mini that means something.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/2/12 10:40 a.m.

Dude, that sucks!

HoserRacing
HoserRacing Reader
8/2/12 10:44 a.m.

Couple of notes of interest from dealing with bill of sale cars in the past. I had a car in Georgia that was an '84, no title necessary for registration. Had someone that wanted to buy it in Tennessee but needed a title. At the time, as long as I provided them with a bill of sale and a copy of the current registration on the car (I had to get insurance & swap a tag onto it), and then they were able to get a TN. title with that paperwork. A couple of years ago, an '86 Yugo I had for sale got it's title by being registered in Maine (anything over 15 years old in Maine does not need a title, or did not at that time), so when that registration came back to me, I was able to register it in Georgia & get the title issue based on that paperwork and an inspection at the police station to confirm that it was the vehicle being registered. A little effort, but better than scrapping it.

metalman
metalman Reader
8/2/12 10:56 a.m.

Please note, a 62-86 car will NOT get a title in GA with a registration from another state based upon CURRENT law/rules....which are posted above. You must have a title to get title on a 62-86 vehicle. If this was not the case there would be several classic Minis around Atlanta that would have titles that now do not....including one in my garage and a very fancy forced induction all wheel drive Vtec powered Mini.

Past experiences from years gone by only add confusion to this CURRENT issue. I have used ME registration in the past to obtain a title but that doesnt work any more.

I have also gotten a title from a BOS written on a napkin in AL but that wont fly anymore either. What worked a 'few years' ago will not work in 2012. YRMV but be warned.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MZkzFWiUsg4JRotQAeQDRsCNyzK0m0acI4aRN791Cth9SiAcve9YfXRPyGRzNxnG