1 2
mblommel
mblommel New Reader
8/31/08 10:17 a.m.

I have a one too many projects and this one needs to go. I'm a engineering student and I accquired one of our school's old FSAE cars. Our school last raced the car in 2001. Currenly it's a complete painted frame, all 4 aluminum CNCed uprights, all 4 hubs, suspension arms, Honda VFR400 V4 400cc bike engine and the professionally-made fiberglass bodywork. THe car is chain drive with an aluminum spool rear end.

The entire car was designed by mechanical engineering students. The suspension is double wishbone front and rear is fully heim jointed and adjustable (although most of the heims were stolen for sucessive years' cars). It has coilover mountain bike inboard shocks front and rear. One of the suspension arms has had one end tube cut off, but would be easy enough to repair by anyone with a welder

The frame is fully TIG welded and made from 1-inch DOM tubing. Due to the safety concerns at the competition the frame is really overbuilt per FSAE rules. The frame is complete except the steering rack mounts have been cut off, but the orignal mount location is still there.

The car has no wheels or tires, no master cylinders, no front calipers (front uprights are made to fit wilwoods), no seat, no fuel cell, no gauges, no belts, no steering rack, no halfshafts. Halfshafts are set up to use tripod joints.

The bike the engine came from was never sold in the U.S. so parts have to come from overseas. The engine has not run in about 6 years, but the whole car has been stored inside in dry storage in the school's workshop. I have both the original carbs and custom FI intake made for the engine.

This car would make a great Autocross fun car. Not sure what class it would be in though. I had planned to put this one back together, but I really don't have the time. Looking for $500 to fund my other projects and keep the wife happy. Contact mblommel-at-hotmail dot com. Thanks, for looking.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair HalfDork
8/31/08 11:39 a.m.

what school? how did it perform in '01? where's it located now?

mblommel
mblommel New Reader
8/31/08 12:25 p.m.

Oh, duh. I guess that info would have helped. It's from UCF (University of Central Florida in Orlando) I'm not sure how the car did in '01, but I think they did pretty well in 2000. From what I was told they finished 27th out of about 140 or so schools. Suposedly this was our school's first attempt at FSAE and we won rookie of the year. Of course nowadays a steel tube frame car really would have a hard time being competitive at all. The top schools regulary show up with carbon fiber monocoque chassis, titanium uprights, and all other manner of fancy stuff.

Anyway, this is a good solid car and a good project for somebody with the time and some fab skills. I'd like to keep it and resurrect it, but I have yet another project in the pipeline and there is just no room left.

I'll have some pictures up sometime tomorrow. I can email them until then.

Thanks,

Mike

Edit-forgot to answer one of your Qs. The car is in Orlando, stored at my house. I won't really be able to ship it b/c once it's crated up and shipped the price of the project would double! I can deliver with my pickup to pretty much anywhere in Florida or S. Georgia though.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer New Reader
8/31/08 1:27 p.m.

Be careful! due to liability laws, you may want to remove any reference of your school and the fact it was an FSAE car. If down the line someone buys it and something breaks due to "faulty design" or something, the school and your team may be held liable. This is what I was told when one of my former team members tried to sell a car. He ended up selling it as home built. FYI CYA.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/31/08 1:47 p.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: Be careful! due to liability laws, you may want to remove any reference of your school and the fact it was an FSAE car. If down the line someone buys it and something breaks due to "faulty design" or something, the school and your team may be held liable. This is what I was told when one of my former team members tried to sell a car. He ended up selling it as home built. FYI CYA.

The legal department at our school wanted every car destroyed rather than sold or being given away. what a waste....

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/31/08 2:01 p.m.

I'm seriously interested. Pics to dhardy001 at gmail dot com please. If it looks like something I need in my life, I could probably pick it up while at the Challenge.

mblommel
mblommel New Reader
8/31/08 3:52 p.m.

Good thinking about the liability issue. That's not something I had even considered. Maybe I should make up some sort of document for the seller to sign absolving myself and the school of any liability. I know some other schools have sold cars in the past, but not sure how they handled that issue.

Dave I'll send pics to you asap.

Thanks guys.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
9/2/08 12:01 a.m.

Sold yet?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/2/08 9:50 a.m.

If it's around come challenge time, I think you can consider it gone.

mblommel
mblommel New Reader
9/2/08 1:36 p.m.

No, not gone. Needs a good home though. Would it be legal for the Locost class at the challenge?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
9/2/08 4:41 p.m.

sure, with some different bodywork.

mpsii
mpsii New Reader
9/3/08 11:03 a.m.

Can you send some pics to mpsii at hotmail dot com?

I am interested and live across town in Winter Garden.

thewelder
thewelder
9/4/08 11:56 a.m.

I have been looking for a fsae car. Can you send pics to chad.summey@yahoo.com thanks

mblommel
mblommel New Reader
9/4/08 5:16 p.m.

Pics send to mpsii, thewelder and murdock. Can someone please come get this thing before IKE shows up?

mpsii
mpsii New Reader
9/4/08 6:21 p.m.

I have not gotten the pics... can you send them again, please?

mblommel
mblommel New Reader
9/5/08 2:46 p.m.

Pics sent again, it is mpsii at hotmail dot com right?

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
9/5/08 2:52 p.m.

Oh sure, what the helll, send them here too: per@grassrootsmotorsports.com

convert to BMod? add bigger motor?

mpsii
mpsii New Reader
9/8/08 12:09 a.m.

right address, but empty email with no subject and no attachments... oh well

mblommel
mblommel New Reader
9/8/08 3:45 p.m.

Sold. Thanks guys.

Sorry mpsii, for some reason I suppose hotmail was not kind to you.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/8/08 3:46 p.m.
mblommel wrote: Sold.

To?

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
9/8/08 4:45 p.m.

Yeah.....Got a little contingent to travel for a nice day drive there, party and drive back.

Hopefully we can get it put together and make some showings in Houston Region. will be held at a buddies house. Biggest question now is if said buddy will be able to cram into it to drive it when done to.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
1/12/11 12:37 p.m.

Alright, Ill bring this back up to the top. This is located in Katy, TX.

The car was brought back and at a friends house for a few months until I moved, bought a house, and then moved in. Instead of working on this, I worked on my Mustang to move it to ESP and with some friends to build a Lemons car.

So, I offer this up to anyone who may be interested. I do not want to ship it, it has everything with it still, and Ill put it up at the same price. I may be moving again soon with work, and am trying to thin out some of my stuff.

$500 The chassis is so light it hovers at the top of the garage......

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
1/12/11 12:45 p.m.

it have motor/trans?

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
1/12/11 12:52 p.m.

It still has the motor and trans.

They are under a work table in my shop. I have all the spindles and most of the control arms. It is in the same condition other than the graphics are removed.

The car is still disassembled. I got it to Houston and that was about it, other than hoisting it into the rafters of my shop.

thewelder
thewelder New Reader
1/12/11 8:36 p.m.

In reply to Thinkkker:

would you be interested in parting it out. I would like the uprights and shocks. Chad

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IRq8F4pI8VftLm06BWXk6JAwicjmETEn7iLCBYBXc5lDUme9LV6ORRHU0ygIlf3Q