Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
7/5/14 10:03 p.m.

The headlight buckets and lenses on this thing are worth $1500 on their own!!!

Good luck with the sale man. I am way too far away

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/5/14 10:11 p.m.

EDIT: Deleted this when i sent the link to the to the open classifieds to a guy who was offering much more than $2014 for it. That fell through, and since It's in the email I figured I'd better get it back up here!

heres the deal, I've got to get this out of the garage before the wife comes home in 3 weeks. So for you guys I'll offer it up challenge-compliant. $2014 get's the car. another $300 get's you the tires (brand new rivals, since there budget exempt) and $1/mile (based on one way distance from zip 79109) will get it delivered anywhere in the continental US any weekend this month.

I admit it, I’m not man enough for this beast of a car. My paltry driving skills don’t let me get this thing anywhere near it’s performance potential, and I need a more wife friendly (aka windshield, AC) car so she will enjoy it with me. That’s right, I’m stepping down from this beast, and looking for a miata. So if you are tired of your low horsepower, boring ride, let me know and we can work out a trade. Email, text or call with any questions, Car is located in Amarillo Tx, right on I-40. I can deliver depending on the price.
Tony52398@yahoo.com 806-477-2731

Basics:
Starts, runs and drives great. Body 1967 Fiat 850 spider HIGHLY MODIFIED Engine Subaru ej20 twin turbo ran by microsquirt Transaxle – Porsche 915 5 speed from a 1983 911. Front suspension: Abarth designed a arms with coil overs. Total I’ve invested: $7300. Asking $4000 or Shoot me an offer, especially miata trades.

The Good – Built in the Collin Chapman “simplify then add lightness” mold. Weight is a lithe 1475 lbs. HP in the stock configuration is either 276 or 249 hp. I don’t have the intercoolers, and outfront motorsports estimates this configuration should be about 225 HP. That’s 6.55 lbs/hp. Let’s compare that to some other cars. The epitomy of chest hair manliness Dodge Viper SRT10 is 6.7, C6 vette – a paltry 7.5. I know that if you find a GTR in a long stretch or road you can hang with him no problem and leave him shaking his head and asking What the hell this thing is.

This thing makes a miata look huge. Just for comparison Width - Fiat 59.1” Miata 65.9 (and boy can you tell on slaloms!) Length – Fiat 150.4” Miata 155.5” Wheelbase – Fiat 80.2” Miata: 89.2”

Also, this car gets more attention than I ever thought possible. Be it at an autocross, or local cars and coffee, if you like attention, This is your ride. Now a good portion of those people walk away shaking their head like you’re crazy, but you definitely get attention.

The stock front transverse leaf suspension has been changed to a copy of the abarth A arm with coil over set ups, this means the thing can turn! The previous owner had it set up for autocross and campaigned it successfully. Here is a video of him at the 2008 solo nationals. This is with the fiat 850cc engine, not the one that’s in it now.

solo nationals

The brakes are dang good as well. When I got it the fronts were wildwood calipers and rotors, but the rear was stock vw drums. With the added weight and HP these things were just totally overwhelmed. I put on Jamar 4 piston race set ups meant for sand rails since they bolt up to the existing VW setup. Now this thing brakes dead even with my dads s2000.

THE BAD: There is not much fiat left in the fiat. The steering wheel and shifter are stock! Pretty much everything else is either added on, stripped down or replaced with fiberglass. The body has several issues that I’ll show in photos shortly. The worst is a dent below the passenger side door, and a gap between rear end panel and the body because the two turbos stick out to far!

PICS: Complete photo album with all pics I have of the car

album link

As she currently sits

Abarth door tag

Dent beneath drivers door

Rear end

rear brakes

rear panel gap to clear turbos

engine bay

happy seat

don’t say I didn’t warn you

Complete parts list, with prices for the parts I installed, and links/pics Front Suspension – Custom fabricated A Arms with coil overs Wilwood Brakes – 2 piston front calipers $350 Wilwood proportioning valves $50 Walbro fuel pump 255 LPH fuel pump $109 fuel pump

Wheels – American Racing 15x7 Maverick Anthracite 5x114.3 bolt pattern - $400 wheels

Tires Front – BFG Rivals – 205/50 r15 - $226 Rear – BFG Rivals – 225/45 r15 -$129

Guages autometer tach, temp, oil pressure and speedometer

Wheel Adapters – Motorsport techcustom two piece aluminum front adapters to change from fiat 4x98 to 5x114.3 $180 adapters

Rear – One piece adapters from VW wide 5 to 5x114.3 $45 Willwood brake master cylinder Willwood clutch master and slave cylinder. Transaxle – Porsche 915 5 speed Transaxle from 83 911. $1500

Computer – Microsquirt $340 SQUIRT!!

Adapter – Kennedy Engineering adapter – $540 adapter Kennedy Performance Clutch - $450 clutch

Starter – Stock Porsche 911 - $260

02 sensor – Innovate LC1 $210 O2

Rear Brakes – Jamar Performance 4 piston rear brake kit – $825 STOP!!!

Engine – JDM EJ20 TWIN TURBO – $650 JDM YO!

Outfront Motorsports parts Twin Turbo Exhaust $350 JDM YO! Shortened oil pan $270 Reverse intake kit - $100

SPARE PARTS: Hard Top (goes for at least $850) Set of CV’s 5 gallon gas tank Various trim pieces

Also have a manual boost controller and boost guage I never installed.

thepope540
thepope540 New Reader
7/6/14 11:06 a.m.

AWESOME! This is EXACTLY what I've been searching for. I would challenge it, autocross it, and drive it to work 2-3 days per week, but alas I don't have any play money right now and it won't last long enough for me to make it happen. Good luck with the sale! If for some crazy reason you feel like sitting on it for a few weeks so I can work out the money and figure out how to transport it over 1000 miles shoot me a message.

edit: sent you a text - my cell service makes calls nearly impossible.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
7/7/14 8:42 p.m.

Ouch, put me in line. For reals. I'll send you a message.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/7/14 8:52 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder:

shoot me an email or text, I've had trouble with this sites messaging system.

tony52398@yahoo.com 806-477-2731

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
7/7/14 9:19 p.m.

Emailed, sent you my number too. Bad cell signal at my house, if you call and I don't answer, leave a message and I'll get right back to you.

mw
mw Dork
7/8/14 12:24 p.m.

That is awesome. Any idea what scca autox class this could run in? It's really too bad you're in texas. Have any friends with room in their trailer that could drag it to Lincoln for solo nationals?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/8/14 12:50 p.m.

Hell,I'll drive it to northern snowy wastelands if you want (and pay me) too. If i still have it when nationals rolls around I'll drag it up to lincoln.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/8/14 1:04 p.m.

As far as class. My local SCCA chapter, (which might be the least knowledgeable in the country) has declared that it is E-mod. However, multiple people on this sight (that I would trust FAR more) don't think that that is correct.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/10/14 3:09 p.m.

So did I get a custom just for me email with this add or did that go to the whole GRM collective?

thepope540
thepope540 New Reader
7/10/14 3:56 p.m.

The add is back if that's what you're asking

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/10/14 5:04 p.m.

Yeah, I put the add back up after I got an email from the magazine featuring the car.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/10/14 9:22 p.m.

This is the ripped out weld i had mentioned previously

here the yellow line is is the failure point. I got it back into place, my repair plan was to first re-weld on top of the yellow line to re-establish the weld, and then place a 1" wide strap over the failed weld and weld it in place where the red lines are. This would then spread the force out over 3 welds, instead of just one. (this is directly behind the drivers seat, the other side is a mirror image.)

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/10/14 11:00 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: So did I get a custom just for me email with this add or did that go to the whole GRM collective?

It went to everyone who gets the newsletter.

How tall are you? Just curious if someone above 6' can fit okay. I'm 6'2 and am selling my v6 sprite because I just can't hardly for in it.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/10/14 11:33 p.m.

I'm 5'11 and fit fine. I've had my large 6-5 320 friend in it. I don't know if his head would have been below the rollbar though. He had a time getting I. But once there was ok. The pedals were to close together for his huge feet to work though

thepope540
thepope540 New Reader
7/10/14 11:38 p.m.

You'll probably be hearing from Brad to work out the details on a trade.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/11/14 12:10 a.m.
thepope540 wrote: You'll probably be hearing from Brad to work out the details on a trade.

Great the more the merrier. I've heard from several people but no brad yet.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
7/11/14 8:55 a.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: As far as class. My local SCCA chapter, (which might be the least knowledgeable in the country) has declared that it is E-mod. However, multiple people on this sight (that I would trust FAR more) don't think that that is correct.

It appears it is an EM car. Based on the rules, forced induction cars are classified on a basis of 1.4 times the displacement (sec 18.0.B), so that puts your "displacement over 2.0 liters, DM limit is 2.0 liters. Plus DM requires a 33mm restrictor in the air inlet. Not sure I would want to run a single inlet restrictor on a twin turbo engine.

It is a darn cool car, too bad I have too many cars now and no money. I would have to get rid of the MGB first.

kreb
kreb SuperDork
7/11/14 11:14 p.m.

Holy cow! Luke and I reached a deal. I think that I'll have to change my avitar. For the first time since I owned my Stalker I'm going to have a seriously kickass car! So whatcha think? Is it:

-The Beast?

-Italbaru?

-Scorpio (Abarth and Subaru, get it?)

-Death trap?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TSNfnViu6NKSyqefZAodP6OjhPt80G9Jr1o3KIwtqMs5sSyhc976Up2wF4W38TVt