1 2
gtphreak1
gtphreak1 New Reader
9/1/13 3:24 a.m.

SOLD

1980's era LeGrand D Sports Racer chassis that was modified from it's 1000cc motorcycle engine form to hold a high performance built 2.5L Porsche 914 (type 4 VW) engine

This car was modified and was raced in the B Sports Modified class at SCCA events at Qualcomm and Willow Springs. The last SCCA cert I can find for the chassis is from 1985 certifying it for full competition however it was last raced in 2004 before my uncle garaged it to redo the paint & bodywork. Illness set in and he passed away and before completing his restoration.

This car currently does not run and is not a street legal automobile chassis, it is for racing purposes only. There was never a DMV title issued, but there's a certificate of manufacture for the chassis and the SCCA chassis/car log book, that I will provide with a bill of sale.

I have the engine build sheets (blueprint & balancing) from Mark Stephens High Performance VW as well as some other receipts and technical data from the build of the car as well as an engine/chassis tuning log for the car. There is an SCCA log book and certificate as well as photos of the car running as a B Sports Modified at Willow Springs and its results from running a race at Qualcomm.

The SCCA approval certificate lists it as a Chotis Masgro 001 D S/R. The certificate lists the roll cage material as 4130 and lists the serial/chassis number 193785.

Engine & Transaxle: 2.5L Porsche 914 (VW type 4) built by Mark Stephens High Performance VW. The engine is topped with dual downdraft Webber carbs. There's a "desktop dyno" sheet that shows the car had 157hp and 148ft/lbs at the rear wheels. I feel that was a conservative estimate. Transaxle appears to be a "5 rib" and is a close ratio gearbox.

Bodywork: 4 piece fiberglass body for a LeGrand Mk18, the back section still needs modification to fit on chassis properly after the engine conversion was done.

Wheels: 3 piece magnesium Compmotive Turbo II rims 13"x9" with a 4 lug pattern that will fit most manufacturers.

Rebuild the carbs, the brakes, new tires, fuel cell, battery, gauges and you'll have a track car. Yank the engine and stick it in a buggy, Meyers Manx, baja bug, VW bus, Kharman Ghia, 411 or a Porsche 914. Go crazy and put it in a sand rail or build this into an air cooled 1/8th mile dragster.

You will need a flatbed trailer to haul away, tires will hold air long enough to load onto a trailer. Car weighs less than 900lbs and could be broken down into smaller parts and hauled off in two trips with a full sized truck. I can't crate or ship this for you but I can make myself available for a shipping company of your choosing, to load it up for you.

I need it gone yesterday so my landlord will STFU. Im asking $1200 or best offer. Will trade for cash, a running 5 Hp outboard engine or high end fishing gear. I don't need tattoos, dope or hand jobs so please don't offer.

I previously posted about the car on this forum a few yrs ago erroneously as LeGrand Mk15.

Please contact me directly if interested, I have several more pics that I can email, that are just not uploaded to photobucket.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/1/13 4:08 a.m.

Location? Contact info other than PMs?

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
9/1/13 7:30 a.m.

Very cool, more pics and contact info/location would def help though...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/1/13 7:58 a.m.

You have mail.

hobiercr
hobiercr HalfDork
9/1/13 8:36 a.m.

Wow, this would be a very cool project. Need more pics and location.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/1/13 12:24 p.m.

This is right up my alley.

PM sent.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/1/13 12:54 p.m.

I also am interested, where is this car?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/1/13 1:29 p.m.

San Fran if I remember right; he posted in Pers thread forever long ago.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/1/13 1:32 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: San Fran if I remember right; he posted in Pers thread forever long ago.

Other way, he asked and Per answered http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/legrand-mk15-info-needed-please/31952/page1/

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/1/13 3:19 p.m.

I'd love for this to become my next unfinished project, but San Diego is a long way from Connecticut.

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
9/1/13 3:45 p.m.
Woody wrote: I'd love for this to become my next unfinished project, but San Diego is a long way from Connecticut.

And it's still too far from IL for me.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/1/13 5:54 p.m.
Woody wrote: I'd love for this to become my next unfinished project, but San Diego is a long way from Connecticut.

Your model A is calling you.....

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
9/2/13 12:36 a.m.

Anybody live near San Diego that could store this for me for a few months?

Thats not a joke

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/2/13 12:29 p.m.

too long a haul for me

pics looked good, chassis was more than I expected, seems a fair price too

somebody buy this and do a build thread plz

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
9/2/13 12:36 p.m.

Is OP responding to any of the messages?

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/2/13 2:25 p.m.

yes

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/2/13 3:34 p.m.

Yup.

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
9/3/13 4:11 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Is OP responding to any of the messages?

Got a great email from him, nice guy. But the CL ad he linked to was flagged. Dunno why?

But I really want it, I just gotta figure out how.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
9/3/13 5:03 a.m.

Awesome! :D

It will be really cool if one of you guys gets it.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/3/13 5:20 a.m.

Too far for me.

gtphreak1
gtphreak1 New Reader
9/3/13 6:33 a.m.

Thank you everyone who has contacted me! You are a much more "real" group of people compared to what I've been dealing with on Craigslist.

I still have the car. I'm in San Diego CA My post is back on Craigslist after being flagged because I didn't realize I couldn't say that I'm willing to trade for firearms. Oops, my bad.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/4042818900.html

Thanks again to everybody for contacting me! Please help me find this machine a new stable and make it be the beast it can be.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
9/3/13 9:21 a.m.

Why did I click on this topic? I want this now.

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
9/4/13 12:50 a.m.

Tell ya what Duke, you drive out there and get it. Then when you can't get around to it in 4 months, I'll come down from OKC and buy it!

Or maybe you just need a vacation to go and see beautiful San Diego! I can bargin for fuel and storage!

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
9/4/13 6:28 a.m.

Mental, sent you an email and an introduction, maybe it will help if you really want to do this :)

gtphreak1
gtphreak1 New Reader
9/4/13 1:45 p.m.

Thanks again everyone for your interest. I've sold the car locally.

-Marshall

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GTotcvGPqURecRZDCv9ClSUzEjraGE8l3vDbTMsOX6Pq3cYQYDtuL8g6S6Mmf9d4