Esoteric Nixon - Jordan
Esoteric Nixon - Jordan UltraDork
9/3/18 5:47 p.m.

So I finally got my Visa and I am leaving the country on the 7th. This week. Friday. I have been working on this car, but unfortunately I never got it to start. Here's my thoughts on what it needs:

-- Starter. We got it to energize the bendix, but the bendix won't engage on the flywheel. Just spins within the housing. The old engine comes with a starter that was working when the engine went.

-- Neutral Safety Switch. I once was going through the gears and saw reverse lights come on while in drive. Safe to say it's bad.

-- Engine Ground. The cable is good, but I cannot for the life of me see where it should mount on the body.

This car has good bones and comes with lots of extra parts:

- extra turbo

- injection pump (still on old engine)

- A/C compressor

- front discs

- front Akebono ceramic pads

- plethora of filters and such

- two spare transmissions

- old (bad) engine (chain broke)

- new rear brakes; calipers, Akebono pads and rotors

- new battery

- new belts

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I can remember off of the top of my head. This car will still need work, but everything essential is there.

It does has some rust, which I have pictured. The underside is in pretty good shape, but does have some scale rust in the rear. Truck lid has some aluminum corrosion which flaked the paint, but the car is black, so it should be an easy fix. The interior is leather and all there, but there's still the scent of mice and mothballs. carpet is nice and a good steam clean should eliminate the small. Sun roof works, and do two of the windows. The driver's is most likely a wire issue in the door jamb, and the rear passenger needs a new switch ( it went down fine but would not go back up until I reversed the pins on the door switch). Unsure if the HVAC works, but the compressor was cut from the donor engine. Radio works, aside from the tape deck.

So yeah. I should not have waited this long, but the plan was to keep it. I changed my mind, so my loss, your gain. Even though I am leaving this week, the car does not have to be picked up this week, as obviously that's untenable. It can stay at my house for awhile, gratis.

$500.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist New Reader
9/3/18 7:20 p.m.

I've always thought these would be the perfect candidate for an LS swap. Especially in California because pre-94 diesels don't have to get smogged, ever. You could install and Allison aircraft engine and it would still be smog legal. The bodywork would be challenging...

Only 120k! That's remarkably low mileage. Sure am glad you're in Ohio and I'm in California...

BTW, where are you going, if I may ask?

Esoteric Nixon - Jordan
9/4/18 10:27 a.m.

I'm not positive whether the odometer works, to be honest.  And Saudi Arabia. You know, the usual.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist New Reader
9/4/18 12:44 p.m.
Esoteric Nixon - Jordan said:

And Saudi Arabia. You know, the usual.

So congrats are not in order here?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/4/18 2:54 p.m.
rdcyclist said:

He won’t have to shovel snow, so that’s probably worth congratulations.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist New Reader
9/4/18 5:20 p.m.

Might have to shovel sand...

Esoteric Nixon - Jordan
9/4/18 6:26 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:
rdcyclist said:

He won’t have to shovel snow, so that’s probably worth congratulations.

Precisely. I could do with no snow.

$500.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
9/5/18 9:04 p.m.

How bad is the smell? 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/5/18 9:21 p.m.

I’m tempted but also don’t want to just keep buying your cars when you leave the country 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist New Reader
9/5/18 10:40 p.m.
Patrick said:

I’m tempted but also don’t want to just keep buying your cars when you leave the country 

This would not be the first time?

Esoteric Nixon - Jordan
9/5/18 10:57 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I'm confident that it could be eradicated.

Pat, $400.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/6/18 7:52 a.m.

You’re an evil man, Jordan.

I don’t think i can swing it right now since i’m going to Maryland next week for a camaro 

chada75
chada75 Reader
9/8/18 2:19 a.m.

If only you were in NC.

Esoteric Nixon - Jordan
9/29/18 10:06 p.m.

And sold locally for $1k. Not too bad, I'd say.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/30/18 8:21 a.m.

Awesome, i was afraid you were going to drop the price again and i would at that point be obligated to come get it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o91B0cLXQhfILDl3mC5q67tur5VvNujBOrAFDcBdGKp1cPmFprRE2mcClD8pd5hI