SVreX MegaDork
8/20/18 1:40 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

It used to be, but it’s in Gainesville FL

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/20/18 1:42 p.m.

Whew! 

That was seriously close. Sold the 944 and wanted another German hole in the head, this time with a little Union Jack flavor. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/20/18 1:58 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Meh.

I bought it in MI, and got it to FL.  I see no reason why it can't make a trip in reverse!

Slacker. wink

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/20/18 3:40 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to DrBoost :

Meh.

I bought it in MI, and got it to FL.  I see no reason why it can't make a trip in reverse!

Slacker. wink

I've flown further for sketchier haha. I just don't need a project right now, so the distance is a good excuse 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
8/25/18 7:42 p.m.

Now $1,700. Just in time for the Challenge!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
8/25/18 7:42 p.m.
NordicSaab said:

I will not do this. I will not do this. I will not do this. Bad thoughts. Just say no. Red rum. I will not do this. I will not do this. I will not do this. I will not do this. Bad thoughts. Just say no. Red rum. I will not do this. I will not do this. I will not do this. I will not do this. Bad thoughts. Just say no. Red rum. I will not do this. 

It's $1,700. You really really want to. I might even bring it to you. devil

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/26/18 10:23 a.m.

My civic made the same noise occasionally. It was the bearings in the water pump turning to dust. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/26/18 10:33 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

BTW - looking at the underside pics, those are aftermarket adjustable rear control arms. The OE ones are non-adjustable stamped steel.

Borla exhaust - Nice! yes

The R53 water pump is driven off the tail end of the supercharger. They typically only make noise when the gears are gone with the added symptom of the car overheating/running hot (since now the pump is no longer pumping).  Otherwise it's probably the timing chain and/or guides. The glowing exhaust may be from the cam timing being off a bit and causing the engine to run lean.

The chain can be serviced with the engine in the car, but it's a royal PITA.  If you have access to a lift, it's much easier to just drop the whole engine/sub-frame/front suspension assembly out the bottom of the car, fix what needs fixing and lift it back into place. Main finicky bit is un-mouting the A/C compressor and leaving it in the chassis.

Regardless, the car should really not be driven or started much at all until a definitive diagnosis has been done.  As it sits, it can be fixed for not too much money - just a lot of labor.  If the timing chain really goes or the engine overheats due to a failed pump, the repair gets significantly more expensive quickly.

I really wish I had the time and space to play with this.  It'd be fun. 

91RSImpulse
91RSImpulse New Reader
9/3/18 4:08 p.m.

Man, this would be a great buy! been wanting one of these cars since 2002, bummer is Just do not have a way to come and pick it up from South Carolina... 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/3/18 5:22 p.m.

In reply to 91RSImpulse :

Umm... yes you do. 

I live in Lexington SC, and will be driving back from Gainesville FL next month with an empty trailer. 

91RSImpulse
91RSImpulse New Reader
9/3/18 5:29 p.m.

Man, I live in Lexington as well! over in Redbank... Just moved down here in June...

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
9/3/18 5:51 p.m.

Someone take this before I do something stupid like offer labor services for stupid cheap when I just ended up back in school.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/3/18 9:08 p.m.

In reply to 91RSImpulse :

Right. 

So you now have no excuse to avoid buying this car, or to not build a Challenge car with me for next year!

91RSImpulse
91RSImpulse New Reader
9/4/18 2:45 p.m.

That is very true... Need to work on the wife with the purchase... I must say, that I would love to build a challenge car as well... 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
9/4/18 10:36 p.m.

Is there any possibility of robbing this of forced induction parts for the purpose of boosting my NB? 1700 for everything but some tubing and couplers to supercharge(intercooler and injectors too?) all I'd need was the MS3DIY and beer for my Megasquirt Dumbeldor.  Unless Mini stuff is weird.  After mid Oct I can spend some money on my Challenge Answer

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/5/18 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Probably not. 

Its a roots style supercharger- it’s not gonna mount on a 1.8L

Plus, it’s integrated with the water pump, and probably a few other things. 

I could be wrong (this is above my pay grade), but I don’t think I am.  

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
9/5/18 8:16 p.m.

I've seen a roots type from a Mercedes used on a 1.8, sat right above the exhaust mani with homebuilt ins and outs.  The waterpump may be a different ball of wax tho.  I just keep seeing these kits for 4 and 5 thousand bucks which is never gonna happen for me, (I dont spend half that on my daily drivers) so i wondered if maybe getting a blender full of rocks with rust might be a cheap alternative that makes good use of my 3 years of professional fab work.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/5/18 8:46 p.m.

Go with your heart-Buy what you want Justjim. Don't let the naysayers get you down! devil

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/5/18 9:38 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

I suppose it's possible, but the M45 isn't really a great supercharger and there isn't much performance left on the table with the OEM installation. One upgrade for the R53 is to swap it for a larger model (M62, IIRC).  The water pump isn't really an issue. You just remove the pump and replace the mount with a flat plate. Either way, it'll be the mounts, piping and belt routing that would be a challenge and one could argue a junk yard turbo set-up would give more performance for less money.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
9/7/18 9:06 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

Thank you, that's great info as I think I'd prefer to "go with what I know" since I've  had several modified turbo cars.  Sorry to thread jack MrJoshua, at least its staying bumped to the top

e13h
e13h New Reader
10/2/18 10:02 a.m.

would there be any other way to contact you?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/2/18 11:57 a.m.

Pee Tee Josh Miller @ Gee Male dot com. (address is for Personal Trainer and then my name so get rid of the vowel excess there in the beginning and fix some spelling and you are golden.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/2/18 4:55 p.m.

More pics to entice: Come party at the challenge and bring home a MINI!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/2/18 4:56 p.m.

If I didn't have 8 cars and only one of them running right now... 

Mark57
Mark57 Reader
10/2/18 5:33 p.m.

I went through this last winter a 03 mini, started with $450 in the car, paid out $600 labor, sent the supercharger to Chicago to be done correctly, ended up replacing head gasket, water pump, t-stat and housing and a bunch of misc. ended up with about $3200 in it. That's why so many end up scrap... Dealer will quote $3-4,500 to do the work so people just give up on them. Just my 2 cents worth

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cZP3oKDPg9NAthzik1rCJ4fJsCGs73yHj6J7YGEfulrnlv66fBVFDGOTWOm7Ns6e