gabecar3
gabecar3 Reader
10/7/18 5:41 p.m.

Hey guys,

So I'm 16 and put together an sbc swapped S10 for the challenge but i just found out my cyl head is cracked: 

So i was wondering if anyone had a set of heads that i could get at the challenge to swap on the afternoon before incase the repair i made doesn't hold. 

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks again, Gabe

S10 build thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1982-chevy-s10-2018-challenge-build-by-a-16-year-o/138097/page1/

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/7/18 7:25 p.m.

I have a pair I just took off. They’re late 70’s iron truck heads. I’ll even throw in some valve seals that I have if you can find someone to cart them down from central Indiana. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
10/7/18 7:28 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Robbie might be driving by from Chicago to Gainesville

gabecar3
gabecar3 Reader
10/7/18 7:51 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

If i could borrow those I'd be very appreciative.

Are the valve seats bad or just have some laying around?

Idk anyone from up North coming down. I only know the Nelson's but they aren't coming down this year AFAIK.

I appreciate the offer I'll have to see if anyone is coming down that can bring them. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
10/7/18 7:54 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Are they center bolt valve covers?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
10/7/18 7:55 p.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

Contact board member Robbie.

He's from Chicago. Will be driving through central Indiana on the way down.

He's coordinating the parking lot build.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
10/7/18 9:10 p.m.

Gabe, call or text me at 334 two zero two 6275 as soon as you can.  My name is Jim, I'm in Montgomery and coming to the Challenge and may have a great solution to your problem 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
10/7/18 10:34 p.m.

If everything else falls through, Message Andrew Nelson and see if he can drag a set down for you. I'm sure he's got something he can fix you up with in your budget. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/8/18 4:25 a.m.

These are perimeter bolt valve covers. But if someone needs a set of painted center bolt valve covers with new fel-pro gaskets I have some of those too

these are not heads I would want to leave as is long term but they were functional when I pulled them off. Most of that engine problems were all bottom end 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
10/8/18 4:48 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I think his heads are center bolt cover that are cracked, as per his conversation with Patrick.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/8/18 6:06 a.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

Call JustJim75. 

He’s got the Elko heads. 

gabecar3
gabecar3 Reader
10/8/18 8:40 a.m.
TRoglodyte said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Are they center bolt valve covers?

Yes they are

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
10/8/18 12:24 p.m.

Are center bolt and perimeter bolt interchangeable on a SBC?

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
10/8/18 1:18 p.m.
TRoglodyte said:

Are center bolt and perimeter bolt interchangeable on a SBC?

With adapters that tend to leak yes.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
10/8/18 1:25 p.m.

Head gaskets and head bolt pattern are the same? Just a valve cover tends to leak?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
10/8/18 2:31 p.m.

If a parts relay is needed, I’ll be heading down from Cincinnati on Wednesday.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/8/18 2:46 p.m.

Gaskets and head bolt pattern are the same. Valve cover gaskets are different as one has 4 holes and the other does not. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
10/9/18 6:45 a.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

You still need heads? 2 offers here.

gabecar3
gabecar3 Reader
10/16/18 8:45 p.m.
TRoglodyte said:

In reply to gabecar3 :

You still need heads? 2 offers here.

I'm so sorry everyone.

I really appreciate all the offers but I got very much sidetracked by four essays and two tests I had for college that I may or may not have ignored because of the challenge so I forgot to check this thread and contact the very important people who could help me. I ended up calling a friend who knew a guy who had heads he was going to scrap so he said I could trade my bad head for a random good head that I wanted so I grabbed another head (I'll find the casting number some time to see what it is) and threw it on for the challenge but as many of you know I didn't make it to the challenge due to logistics issues so now that I have more time I want to try to do heads correctly (i.e. two heads of the same combustion chamber size instead of a 64cc and a 75cc head). I will try to contact some of the people who offered to help to again apologize for effectively ignoring their offer to help and to see if maybe we can still work something out.

Again sorry for not responding and also thank you so much for everyone offering to help get a pair of heads down here for me

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
10/16/18 11:01 p.m.

Happy you chose school!

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
10/17/18 10:01 a.m.

It was nice meeting you at The Challenge.  It's good that you attended anyway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1MH4Z2yKJEUUpVYwcsR1W8Rhp5dYoDrBU8EI4lxzXg6JQsw2TIMfKtz6t0aMIQuV