BeardedMuffin
BeardedMuffin Reader
12/7/18 12:35 a.m.

I have a few things for sale from my swap I'm currently in the process of. Feel free to make any reasonable offers. Wanting to clear up some space and raise money to help with the swap. So if you have any questions l, please feel free to ask. Best way to contact me is call or text me at: 8 zero 3-Five 2 two-3 eight 4 nine but I will keep an eye on this post as well. 

M42 Engine/Getrag 240 Trans with all accessories- $700

---odometer read 156k miles when it broke, so would assume it has roughly around 180k. Only things needed is some valve cover gaskets and throttle body gasket. Transmission shifted with no issues. 

Megasquirt Ms3Pro Evo ECU and LS1 harness (only used for mock-up) - $1300

ARP LS1 pressure plate hardware - $15

​​​​​​Stock air box , AC condensor, Fairly new radiator , ABS Block, Fairlynew brake booster, Fairly new brake master , Clutch slave, Engine cross member - beer

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
12/7/18 7:46 a.m.

What engine/trans is it?

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/7/18 3:41 p.m.

MIght help if we knew the engine...M10, M42, M20B25, M20B27., SETA.....

BeardedMuffin
BeardedMuffin Reader
12/7/18 8:36 p.m.

Oh E36 M3! I'm sorry guys, it's the m42 with the 5speed. Can't remember the name of the trans that came with them. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/9/18 8:37 p.m.
BeardedMuffin said:

Oh E36 M3! I'm sorry guys, it's the m42 with the 5speed. Can't remember the name of the trans that came with them. 

Trans is a G240

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/9/18 8:46 p.m.

I wll just mention, as someone who has bought and sold multiple M42s (and run one in my rally car) -  you should definitely note if the following are done, which will have a significant effect on what someone will pay for an m42:

1. crank thrust bearing update (to 360-degree). If it's the original thrust bearing, there will likely be substantial wear on the crank bearing surface there (causing crank walk). This is VERY common on M42's over 100k miles (including 3 out of the 4 I've bought). If yours is updated and/or has no wear there, it's more desirable - You can probably check this by removing the oil pan (since yo uhave the engine out of the car). 

2. Timing case tensioner rail and chain guide rails - if these are the updated pieces (not original), the engine is much more appealing to a buyer.

3. Cam sprockets (top front of engine) - check to see if the tips are sharp/pointy, or still squared off. If the latter, you'll much more easily justify a higher asking price. 

BeardedMuffin
BeardedMuffin Reader
12/10/18 12:32 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know of these issues to look into, but I will look into them and post the findings on here. How will I know if the timing case tensioner has been updated? And I'm not quite sure what you mean by 360 degree crank thrust bearing, but I will look to see if it's been worn out. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/10/18 8:08 p.m.
BeardedMuffin said:

In reply to irish44j :

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know of these issues to look into, but I will look into them and post the findings on here. How will I know if the timing case tensioner has been updated? And I'm not quite sure what you mean by 360 degree crank thrust bearing, but I will look to see if it's been worn out. 

the cam sprockets are easy to see with the valve cover off.

the timing case guide rail CAN be seen with the valve cover off if you look down where the chain runs. If it's the original one you should see a oily-colored metal bracket at the top of it. (the big issue is the metal and plastic parts separate, disintegrate, and then wreck the timing case). If it's the updated one, it will look like plastic, as I recall. If somoene is looking for an M42 specifically, they may know what to look for.  This is really the primary weak spot on an M42 - so one with that many miles I'd have to HOPE it had been replaced with the updated part at one point. I'll see if I can find any pics in my build thread to show you if you care. 

The thrust bearing you probably can't see without at least pulling the upper oil pan, so may not be practical. I just meant if you know it was replaced at some point, it's worth mentioning.

As to what that is: BMW cheaped out and made the thrust bearing surface only go 180 degrees around the crank, originally. So the bearing surface would wear out over a number of miles due to insufficient surface area and start wearing into the crank surface. BMW updated the design sometime in the late 90s and the replacement part goes 360-degrees around to provide the correct amount of surface area. One of those dumb things that saved BMW 50 cents somewhere in the production line and some pencil-pusher said "yeah, do that!" lol. 

BeardedMuffin
BeardedMuffin Reader
12/11/18 8:06 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Oh! Thank for dropping all that knowledge on me .I will try to look into that today or tomorrow. I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of the timing case rails, but don't want to be too much trouble if it's not easily accessible. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/11/18 7:22 p.m.
BeardedMuffin said:

In reply to irish44j :

Oh! Thank for dropping all that knowledge on me .I will try to look into that today or tomorrow. I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of the timing case rails, but don't want to be too much trouble if it's not easily accessible. 

I know it's in my build thread someplace, but there are like 1000 pics there....so don't hold your breath ;)

The updated piece looks like this: When installed, all you can see is black plastic as the metal inserts are coverd by the mounting bolt heads.

Image result for e30 m42 timing chain guide old

the original one looks like this (on the right). You can see the mount holes are metal tabs "bonded" to the plastic (that eventually un-bond..). Looking down through the case from teh top, you should be able to see the top one if you use a flashlight.

BeardedMuffin
BeardedMuffin Reader
12/15/18 2:15 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Okay, good to know and thanks for the help. I will try and look into it this weekend.  Been super busy lately .

BeardedMuffin
BeardedMuffin Reader
3/19/19 11:48 a.m.

Bump for new prices and new parts. Still haven't gotten around to finding out about updated M42 parts. 

BeardedMuffin
BeardedMuffin Reader
3/25/19 6:22 p.m.

Bump for updated ad.

RaymondHoosier
RaymondHoosier New Reader
9/19/19 3:58 a.m.

Just curious if...

{answer: yes, a mod can delete your canoe}

JonBridwell
JonBridwell
9/19/19 8:47 a.m.

BMW cheaped out and made the thrust bearing surface only go 180 degrees around the crank, originally. So the bearing surface would wear out over a number of miles due to insufficient surface area and start wearing into the crank surface.  Why don’t you consider topic about cars, can someone tell me about nissan kicks ground clearance?  I found a good option here, but would like to consider others option too. Maybe someone has a proven website with price?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R5DdCfHCm0jaI23mfurDG8iXg1y8rhmDEKF7YNEy1p7cLQvfMAzS7GIgH3gdwXS7