Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
8/5/18 6:10 p.m.

Mine, affiliated. 

The water pump went bad, and is still bad. It's driven by the timing chain and requires special tools to replace. I just got a used engine and swapped it. It had between 69 and 70k miles when the water pump failed. It was towed after the pump failed, the oil was drained and had no obvious metal in it, so the bearings should be good.

It is now sitting in my garage. It fits many things, and can apparently be reconfigured to work as a RWD setup, as in the Mustang or F150.

Local pickup only.

I have it listed for $500 locally. 

If nobody wants it, I'll probably melt it down for the aluminum and/or see about replacing the water pump while it is out of the car.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/6/18 9:22 a.m.

Did it overheat? 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
8/7/18 9:10 p.m.

It didn't over heat, but it was driven 1/2 mile with a wonky chain driven water pump. It idled a bit rough, but didn't stall again, and the temperature was still mid-range when I got home. Here is the original thread on the issue: ORIGINAL THREAD 

Prior to the failure, there was no sign of weeping, poor running or anti-freeze use. The failure was sudden- the car made a noise, it died, SWMBO called me, told me the car stalled and I had to come bring her the 4Runner to drive and figure it out what happened to the car and fix it before she would drive it again.

As noted in the OP, rather than swap the water pump out myself, it got an engine swap. Since then, the engine has just been taking up space in my garage. No further troubleshooting has been done, at all, beyond the oil drain and inspection. 

Here is a video about the water pumps in these things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3-NOGZL8ms&feature=youtu.be&t=101

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iqSJYBeDuoReyOSKkrp0sRFpxicmwGCmzNeiRkF9b7FhLoDG500hCv8VsQELFcFb