MrRobogoat
MrRobogoat New Reader
7/19/18 4:29 p.m.

I have a friend who has an appreciation for manual Volvos, and is looking to sell a couple for parts [their words]. I am familiar with both cars, they were on the road fairly recently (I'd say 6mo ago for the S60, and 2mo for the 850). The 850 needs a heater core, which took it off the road (which is a shame, as those are the easiest heater cores to change I've ever encountered). The S60 was quoted for needing a steering rack, and inner and outer tie rod ends. Not 100% sure how bad they are, but the engine, clutch, and transmission are all in good shape. It's black, has 18" Pegasus wheels on it, a dent in the passenger rear door, and a grimy interior. Probably best cannibalized for a challenge build (drop the entire front end into the back of something lighter?), or just parted out. This person does not have time / know how to part them out, so it's a buy the whole car (or two!) sort of deal. I am two cars over capacity, otherwise I would be taking them in, at least temporarily (...No, I do not have a problem, why do you ask?).

If folks are interested I can head down and get some pictures / check them out in person / set you up with the owners. The cars are located in Rensselaerville, NY, which if you Google it is equally inconvenient from Albany, I87, and I88. I am about an hour out, but can help facilitate getting them to a good home.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
7/19/18 7:39 p.m.

What are the prices? What engine is in the 850?

MrRobogoat
MrRobogoat New Reader
7/20/18 5:46 p.m.

The 850 is a NA five cylinder, not sure what code / displacement (asked the owner just now and they didn't know, said it was a 95 or 96). I know some of them have issue burning valves if the PCV fails and is not fixed (this killed a sedan I owned), so I could give it a (cold) compression test if that would help.

I don't want to throw out a hard number here without pictures / more info (to be honest I haven't laid eyes on the cars for a while), but no way are we talking even $1000 here. I'm betting $500 would be acceptable for each. The only real price competition here is if I get them to a yard myself, and maybe kept some parts to sell separately (ie, the Pegasus wheels off the S60, the 18s are apparently kind of rare?).

Speaking of wheels, I actually have a set of 15" alloys off an 850 sedan (since deceased, RIP) with General Altimax Arctic snows on them that were used for 1k mi this past winter, that could go with the wagon for a fee as well. Maybe $400?

Anyway, if those prices aren't out of line I can head down tomorrow and get pictures / more information.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
7/20/18 9:22 p.m.

Sounds like that 850 could make an easy button wagon class Challenge car for our northern friends. Wonder if you can +T them like the 240s. 

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
7/20/18 9:24 p.m.

And the first Google result is of course from here.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JrWczx9WBNc8v0WO2AEHkLMQuBHiOwijRco4IZTsQoywYKoQnEoNUs0Klk1MK3Bp