akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/1/18 5:19 a.m.

This has been lingering in a parking lot adjacent to the Fastenall that I frequent.

What I know is, that plate expired in April of 2016 and it has not moved from this spot since.  And AMG is cast into the wheels and no surprise Auto trans.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/1/18 5:24 a.m.

The interior is in decent shape with one repair to the drivers seat, the sunroof looks like it's not closed all of the way but there are no signs of water inside.

I kind of want to rescue it from the recycler.

Wiki says it's a W140.070 chassis, from 93-99 with an M119 5.0 V8, 322hp 350tq.  

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/1/18 7:26 a.m.

Do you know what year it is?  If that is OBD1, and truly five hundo, I would have a difficult time passing it up, if I wasn't already so overloaded with projects here. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/1/18 7:43 a.m.

Is an OBD1 vs OBD2 better?  The only weakness that I can find on this car is the biodegradable wiring and there is a fix for that now.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/1/18 9:13 a.m.

Where I live, it is. 

'96 and up get emmision tested.  

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
11/1/18 9:54 a.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Call them already so that I don't have to. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/1/18 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I'm not sure if I like you, or like to hate you. cheeky

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/1/18 1:40 p.m.
Cooter said:

Do you know what year it is?  If that is OBD1, and truly five hundo, I would have a difficult time passing it up, if I wasn't already so overloaded with projects here. 

Ohhhhh.  S500...

I can easily talk myself out of it now by using the "If there is no price listed, it is more than I want to spend" excuse. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/1/18 1:44 p.m.

Not $500, S500, not I get it.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/1/18 1:50 p.m.

Yeah. The eyes (and the brain apparently) don't seem to work as well early in the morning. 

It didn't make sense because I figured you must have called for a price, and if I let myself get interested enough to call about a price on something I'll probably buy it. 

I have actually been talking about these very Mercs with some of the members in my Vintage Daily Driver group on FB. The want is strong; they are handsome automobiles. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/1/18 3:25 p.m.

I read that as $500 also and was dialing haha....

it it would go nice with my 300CE

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/1/18 9:07 p.m.

Fine, I’ll call and since I drive by it about four times a week maybe I can wear him down with persistent questions and concerns.

These were $90k new and are still worth some coin used if operational, like $30-40k is this true or just the interweb lying to me.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/1/18 9:10 p.m.

A jap spec AMG may be worth that kind of money but normal beaters don’t trade for that. $3k to $5k is asking price probably

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
11/2/18 9:21 p.m.

W140's are my favorite S-class! Though I find the coupes kind of ugly. The drivetrain is reliable and they come with all sorts of neat features. 

That thing is hurting for some period correct wheels and some love. It'll clean up nicely though!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mZnRZ7Y3lOzaGVXbwKTbJjE0Z525ldRx8Bl68YmXsmMw3HKZOvEJ5qJpBYHlaCLk