1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
6/13/16 7:05 a.m.

I'm sure this has happened to someone here before. I was surfing eBay the other day and came across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-AMAZON-122S-Clear-Title-transferable-/122012937875?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c6889ae93:g:eOQAAOSw9k5XQSFn&item=122012937875

I sold this car on eBay about a year ago to this very guy. It had no title at the time, so he's apparently gone through the paperwork to get a good title and register it. Unfortunately, he seems a bit at the end of his rope with the SU carburetors and is trying to resell it.

I feel bad for the guy, and just sent him a little note. The car ran and drove when I sold it to him (though he did trailer it back to TN) and I'm sure if I got my hands on it again it could be a daily driver with very little effort. But...it's now 500 miles away, and I have other 122s that need my care right now.

If anyone here's interested in the car...I can attest that (at least when it left my care) it was a solid little car that would make a great daily, and a potential platform for rallying or auto-X. There's some rust underneath, but nothing scary, and a little filler in the nose and fenders as is common. The interior is...rough...but usable. And it could stand a new front bumper if you're picky.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
6/13/16 8:53 a.m.

Thanks, really trying to hold back from buying it now.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/13/16 10:25 a.m.

Indeed, it has happened to me, and with a Volvo. Not one so pretty of course. My 850 wagon turned up on Craigslist for half the price I sold it for with bad power steering a year or two after I sold it. That's an easy fix but apparently beyond the guy I sold it to. I felt bad and thought about buying it back but decided to stay clear.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/13/16 10:43 a.m.

I find SU carbs to be straightforward and easy to set up and maintain. I like those cars, but never really had the desire to own one.

volvoclearinghouse
6/13/16 11:06 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Oh, give it a whirl. I knew nothing about them when I bought my first one, and now they're one of my favorite cars. Easy to work on and a blast to drive. Plus, everyone gives me thumbs ups when I'm driving mine. They sometimes think I'm driving a '57 Chevy, but it's the thought that counts.

volvoclearinghouse
6/13/16 11:07 a.m.
dculberson wrote: Indeed, it has happened to me, and with a Volvo. Not one so pretty of course. My 850 wagon turned up on Craigslist for half the price I sold it for with bad power steering a year or two after I sold it. That's an easy fix but apparently beyond the guy I sold it to. I felt bad and thought about buying it back but decided to stay clear.

Yeah...if this guy can't figure out points and SU carbs...I hope he hasn't touched much else on the car.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
6/13/16 12:32 p.m.

I am amazed nobody has bid on it.

volvoclearinghouse
6/14/16 7:18 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Me too. Amazons have never been on fire, but I've seen their values tick up a little lately. I sold the car to him for around what he's asking for it, with no title. I'd rather deal with some minor mechanical issues than try the whimsy of the DMV clerk that particular day.

If it were closer, I'd buy it back.

volvoclearinghouse
6/14/16 7:21 a.m.

I did just notice an error in his listing. He has the transmission type listed as "automatic", when it is the 4 speed manual. Perhaps that's steering folks away from bidding?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/14/16 7:27 a.m.

Wouldn't this resolve any questions?

BTW, I once bought an SU rebuild kit from ZTherapy and it came with a 45 minute instructional video.

ZTherapy

volvoclearinghouse
6/14/16 8:12 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

In theory...if one looked at the pictures. But one might also scan the listing, see "Automatic" and move on.

SU carbs aren't hard. I actually think they're kindof fun. I even have a T-shirt with an exploded view of one on it.

Dbussey1
Dbussey1 New Reader
6/14/16 9:11 a.m.

That's awesome. Looks like a decent deal, it's always refreshing to see an Ebay motors listing where the person isn't expecting to get rich. If the timing were different, I'd be super interested - always wanted an Amazon.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
6/14/16 10:03 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: I'd rather deal with some minor mechanical issues than try the whimsy of the DMV clerk that particular day.

Damn tooting.

If my daughter weren't moving back home with three ankle biters, so would I.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
6/14/16 10:25 a.m.

tiny thread jack...

SU HS6's are easy, but I had a 68 (or was it 69) 142, that had an emissions version of the HS6.... was a time (and car) I'd like to forget.......

and now back to this thread....

volvoclearinghouse
6/14/16 10:40 a.m.

I am somewhat curious to know what he means by "vehicle will be transferred locally if no sale". Some local offer him a thousand for it?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
6/14/16 12:58 p.m.

I'm guessing he has a low offer locally.

This is one of those cars that I would love to buy, whip a screw driver, adjust the carbs and drive away.

I have fond memories of hot pant wearing coeds in platform shoes shifting gears in these old Volvos.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
6/14/16 7:27 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

If this is still up on Friday this car may be coming back to the area... I hear you ended up with my last 122 wagon.

volvoclearinghouse
6/15/16 6:25 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman:

Ha! Cool deal. Yes, for $1200 its hard to go wrong with this car. Let me know if you need anything. I have...um...a few Amazons.

volvoclearinghouse
6/15/16 6:30 a.m.

Reading the seller's Q/A session is quite painful. The man needs to be issued a beige 2016 Corolla with restraining orders to never, ever purchase an old car again.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
6/15/16 7:02 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: SU carbs aren't hard. I actually think they're kindof fun. I even have a T-shirt with an exploded view of one on it.

I had that shirt, too!

I had a guy come up to me, at a Mini Meet, one year, with a handful of carburetor parts, and said, "Hold still. I didn't bring my shop manual with me, and I've got to get this back together, before the rally!"

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
6/15/16 7:48 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: Reading the seller's Q/A session is quite painful. The man needs to be issued a beige 2016 Corolla with restraining orders to never, ever purchase an old car again.

At least he did get a title for it.

volvoclearinghouse
6/15/16 8:58 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

True. And I was amazed at the process. In TN, if the car is sold for less than $3000, there's a simple DMV form you fill out and boom, they give you a title.

I need to get some TN friends to help me title some other cars I have.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Dork
6/15/16 1:35 p.m.

And Sold.

Did one of you guys snatch it?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
6/15/16 2:28 p.m.

In reply to IndyJoe:

Wasn't me

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
6/15/16 3:26 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: True. And I was amazed at the process. In TN, if the car is sold for less than $3000, there's a simple DMV form you fill out and boom, they give you a title. I need to get some TN friends to help me title some other cars I have.

I'm in TN and had no idea about this, even after digging through every title related form on their site. Do you have a link to the form?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JGZHpofQKH0ATU6wBzusgHGkt9L5asuwjh4cjFwpSkTmJCgx2L2PjRBYhgeIaT4f