1 2
AhDesign
AhDesign New Reader
6/21/18 9:58 p.m.

Update! Price reduced to $1800.

1990 Volvo 240 DL sedan for sale by me. M47 5-speed manual, 13c turbo and other fun items installed over 11k miles ago, and runs like a champ. Clean Indiana title in my name, no rebuild/salvage/etc. It's faster than it should be, and is a riot to drive.

Quick stats:
2.3L 4 cylinder
5 speed manual transmission
386,xxx miles (Yes, that many. THE ODOMETER STILL WORKS. )
Greenish

Maintenance since August 2016:
-Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor
-Air and fuel filters
-Timing Belt kit
-PCV System

-New alternator
-All 4 wheel bearings
-Torque Arm Bushings
-Driveshaft U-joints and carrier bearing
-Rear shocks
-Front sway bar endlinks
-Both motor mounts
-Steering shaft coupler
-All new gaskets from the head gasket up
-Front brake pads and rotors
-Clutch, new bearings, and new cable
-In-tank fuel pump
-New battery in December

Upgrades/Modifications:
-Turbo setup from a 1993 Volvo 940
-13c turbo
-"tubular" exhaust manifold
-higher flowing injectors
-gigantic intercooler
-Head/cam from turbo car
-Custom exhaust from the downpipe back. Sounds good, but is barely noticeable when cruising
-Aftermarket radio and upgraded speakers all around (aux, Bluetooth, etc.)
-Center armrest with cupholder
-Some gauges (tachometer, boost, and wideband)
-Manual Boost Controller (set to 9psi)
-Electric Fan from Volvo 940
-Hella 550 fog lights

-Thule Roof rack (with bike mount and ski/snowboard mount – with keys)

-Thule Roof Basket 

-Volvo Hydra wheels with all-season tires in decent shape

Extras that come with the car:

- 4 Spare tail lights in varying degrees of cleanliness 

- New dash bulbs (not installed)

- New OEM splash guard (not installed, existing one is fine)

- New KYB front struts and mounts (not installed)

- New tie rod ends (not installed)

- Goodyear UltraGrip snow tires on OEM Volvo steel wheels

-Rally Armor Mud flaps (uninstalled)

Other than a synthetic oil change, roof basket, and alternator, all modifications were done by the previous owner, who can probably tell you more about the mechanical work. The only reason I'm selling is because our family is getting bigger, and we've moved up to an Odyssey and my commuter appliance to accommodate. I was intending to use the car to get into rallycross, but alas, my priorities have shifted for now.

The car runs and drives great, but has many squeaks and rattles that come after 386k miles. It was my daily driver/hopefully-getting-my-feet-wet-in-rallycross car for the last year until very recently. Everything from the head gasket up is from a newer (1993?) turbo 940, with the boost set to about 9psi. The car was consistently "middle of the pack" in Modified Rear at Detroit Region Rallycross events according to the previous owner (artur1808 here on the forums who I bought it from).

It's kinda dirty in the engine bay, but there are no leaks. There is a leak at the pinion seal on the differential; it's not gushing out or anything, but the differential housing is wet and it'll leave a drip on the ground if you've been driving a while. Plan on adding about half a quart over 10,000 miles. The driver’s wheel well has some rust at the trailing edge, and there is some rust around the cowl/windshield. The windshield also has 2 cracks in it. 

Asking $1800 obo. I'm really wanting to pass it along to someone here to avoid Craigslist. Located in Indianapolis. Email me at aphoff@gmail.com.

artur1808
artur1808 Reader
6/25/18 5:53 a.m.

If I had the space in my driveway I would seriously consider buying this back from you. For what it's worth, the turbo swap was done around 375,000, so it's been going strong with all the modifications for over 10,000 miles now.

AhDesign
AhDesign New Reader
6/26/18 8:57 a.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

It's been super reliable as a daily driver. It really WANTS to be driven every time I'm in it, and I really hate to sell it.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
6/26/18 1:19 p.m.

Does it have A/C?

AhDesign
AhDesign New Reader
6/26/18 1:29 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Some components were removed altogether during the turbo install by the previous owner. The compressor is still there, and nothing was touched under the dash. However, the lines and the condenser were removed to make room for the intercooler and turbo plumbing. The AC apparently wasn't working when he first got the car, and I'm not sure what the issue was, so he wasn't particularly careful about removing the lines, and some were likely cut off. I'm guessing it would be a pretty large project to get the AC functioning again. Parts are relatively cheap, especially if you have a junkyard nearby, but I assume the labor wouldn't be much fun.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
6/27/18 9:47 p.m.

This is something that I definitely didn't need to see. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/28/18 6:03 a.m.
captdownshift said:

This is something that I definitely didn't need to see. 

But you definitely need to buy it & park it next to the EGT. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
6/28/18 7:13 a.m.

I love the dead bug in the mileage sticker picture.  Is that included in the price?

Miles Wilson
Miles Wilson Marketing Assistant
6/28/18 8:31 a.m.

The want is STRONG. My S60 R has nothing on the cool factor of these old 240's...

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
6/28/18 8:48 a.m.

240 A.C. doesn't work that good with 134 anyway

cghstang
cghstang Dork
6/28/18 9:17 a.m.

How bad is the rust around the windshield? Would it make replacing the windshield problematic?

AhDesign
AhDesign New Reader
6/28/18 9:32 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

All trophies are included! 

AhDesign
AhDesign New Reader
6/28/18 9:35 a.m.

In reply to cghstang :

There are no holes, but I suspect it might be bad enough that if someone were to have the windshield replaced, they might give you a hard time about it and not "guarantee" their work. Honestly, I'm just not sure how the window replacement process goes, and what they would say about it. In my opinion, if the windshield came out, you cleaned the rust up and threw some primer down, you could just convince the guy to booger it up with bathroom caulk or whatever they use to seal it and it'd be good enough.

AhDesign
AhDesign New Reader
6/28/18 9:39 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

You should consider taking another looooong look, just to be sure... let the bad ideas in... 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
6/28/18 9:42 a.m.
cghstang said:

How bad is the rust around the windshield? Would it make replacing the windshield problematic?

If it's like the one on my 240 pickup it cleaned up well with a wire wheel after taking out the windshield and just needed a little filler for the pitting. I don't think it would be an issue for windshield replacement even if you just wire wheeled it and put a rust converting primer over it. 

My black 240 is a little worse, I haven't removed the windshield yet to check it though. 

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
6/29/18 5:29 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

If it weren't for the utility of the xB and it's abilituab to move things I'd be seriously tempted to unload it, get this and hold out for another NA as well. 

volvoclearinghouse
6/30/18 9:06 p.m.

A Volvo 240 with a trailer holds way more than an xB.  devil

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
7/1/18 6:06 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

You're evil, accurate and evil. 

volvoclearinghouse
7/1/18 12:17 p.m.

Hell, an NA with a trailer holds way more than an xB.  

AhDesign
AhDesign New Reader
7/2/18 6:11 p.m.

Last call for GRMs! I’ll sell it for $1700 to someone here by Sunday, otherwise it’s on local CL for $2k after that. Need to sell soon, I’m getting married later this month!

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/2/18 6:34 p.m.
Miles Wilson said:

The want is STRONG. My S60 R has nothing on the cool factor of these old 240's...

Of all of the statements, this is one of the wrongest, and I like 240s.

(I may, in fact, be biased)

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
7/4/18 1:58 p.m.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/4/18 3:27 p.m.

Look how unopened that repair manual is!  Now that there is a selling point.

AhDesign
AhDesign New Reader
7/15/18 9:15 a.m.
corytate
corytate UltraDork
7/15/18 1:04 p.m.

Agh if only you were able to hold onto it for a couple months AND we’re interested in trading for an 04 XC70 for a luxe DD lol

i get so bored only having an autotragic car

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B2LpFS0mVKqxalmeFmqKhIQXkezyDtXtjRhlJIIrOtC6fMA04UdLli6bs1URXYEa