JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/26/16 2:36 p.m.

Mostly just a placeholder for now but my recent accquisition of a cheap car made me long for the days of the old BABE rally. So it looks like myself and a few former competitors from BABE and GRM as well as new friends will be embarking on July 1st on our own little Back to the Big Easy roadtrip.

Rather than the NYC start which always meant a boring slog through NJ on the first day we'll be starting in Philadelphia on the 1st and ending in New Orleans on July 4th with some fun and adventure along the way. Obligatory drive through the Tail of the Dragon.

I'll try to remember to update here with stories and photos from the road.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
5/27/16 9:02 a.m.

Are you guys going through Montgomery and Mobile, or up through Birmingham and Meridian?

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/27/16 10:31 a.m.
petegossett wrote: Are you guys going through Montgomery and Mobile, or up through Birmingham and Meridian?

We'll be going through b-ham. We were hoping to hit Gips place outside of B-ham, one of the last real juke joints in the country but we're passing through on a sunday and they only open on saturday :(

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
5/27/16 11:34 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Well damn, if you guys were coming down along the coast I was hoping to catch you at a pit-stop, hopefully in the Gulfport/Biloxi area, but I won't be back there myself until Sunday evening. Who knows, maybe we'll cross paths near Hattiesburg?

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/27/16 2:31 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to JThw8: Well damn, if you guys were coming down along the coast I was hoping to catch you at a pit-stop, hopefully in the Gulfport/Biloxi area, but I won't be back there myself until Sunday evening. Who knows, maybe we'll cross paths near Hattiesburg?

I'll have to take a look at the route map, been kinda running around lately so I know there's a route laid out but damned if I remember what it is :)

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
5/27/16 3:08 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Be sure to have some beater car fun for me along the route, my two most likely partners in hoopdie-mobile crime are both to sickly to manage a long-distance run these days. I'll get in on one the long-distance beater rallies one of these years.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/27/16 6:08 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: In reply to JThw8: Be sure to have some beater car fun for me along the route, my two most likely partners in hoopdie-mobile crime are both to sickly to manage a long-distance run these days. I'll get in on one the long-distance beater rallies one of these years.

This will likely be the last one I do as a group activity (I have some solo runs planned in the coming years including an Alcan highway excursion) No one has really taken up the organization the way that the old Street Safari group did and I really don't want to be organizer, I just like participating.

I did just get permission from the author to post the sadly unpublished article written about the 2009 BABE rally which really captures what this insanity is all about.

http://asphaultadventures.com/?page_id=1099

Mike
Mike Dork
5/27/16 6:42 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
petegossett wrote: Are you guys going through Montgomery and Mobile, or up through Birmingham and Meridian?
We'll be going through b-ham. We were hoping to hit Gips place outside of B-ham, one of the last real juke joints in the country but we're passing through on a sunday and they only open on saturday :(

I've made the same run, from the Dragon through B-ham, and down to home in SE LA.

Near B-Ham:

Good People make great beer.

Pie Lab makes great pie. (Everyone says so.)

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
6/30/16 2:25 p.m.

Just about that time, heading over to the hotel for registration tonight and we all depart in the morning.

Car is all stickered up

And I have 7 rolls of decorative duct tape

That should be just about everything I need :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PNj1zRWDibvAjddWPB1RKe3M4gmD2Az5UWPN4rIBqnO9waj8QsnOVSbpTWV1vjUf