VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
Jan. 10, 2018 4:03 p.m.

Finally getting settled in Daytona and had a chance to unbox the new Vulcan MIGMax 215 welder. I am not a seasoned pro fabricator by any means, but I have to say that I am really impressed. Easy to set up, stable arc, and clean welds so far. If anything, I'll change the regulator to one with a flow meter as opposed to the pressure gauge, but otherwise I am leaving it alone. It has gotten really great reviews on their site and some of the YouTube pages. I have to agree. 

FWIW I am running Blue Demon ER70S6 wire in it. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/MIGMax-215-Welder-with-120240-Volt-Input-63617.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTM4NzMwMjkiLCJza3UiOiI2MzYxNyIsImlzIjoiNTc5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6IjEyMTAzIn0%3D%0D%0A&utm_source=hpBanner&utm_campaign=vulcan215hptot010118

Toyman01 MegaDork
Jan. 10, 2018 7:04 p.m.

I've been eyeballing their ProTIG 200. A AC/DC tig with aluminum capability for $900 is very tempting. 

VegasNick
VegasNick New Reader
Jan. 11, 2018 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Based on the experience with the mig so far, that will most likely be the next purchase. 

grover Reader
Feb. 4, 2018 1:39 p.m.

I bought the flux 125 about 6 months ago because I’ve never welded before and I’ve had a blast. I’d love a tig I think- but is the only advantage cleaner welds and thicker metal? Please excuse my ignorance. 

Stefan MegaDork
Feb. 4, 2018 2:47 p.m.

You can modify them to provide DC current for the flux wire which provides a better weld with less splatter.

Ditching their wire for quality stuff helps too.

Google HF Flux Welder Mods and you can get some ideas.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Classic Motorsports

Touring Old Smoky

18 hours ago in Articles

The Classic Motorsports Staff and Our Readers Tame Tail of the Dragon.

Tech Tips: 1965-'68 Shelby Mustang GT350

2 days ago in Articles

Shelby’s transformation of the Mustang is the stuff of legend. When it comes to making it even better, Cobra Automotive ...

Back to Basics

1 week ago in Articles

Perennial Pro Racer Randy Pobst Goes Old-School in a Brutally Fast, No-Frills Chevron B36

Hang Out With John Morton at the Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty

1 week ago in News

Both the Nissan and Datsun marques will be featured at this spring’s Speedfest at the Classic Motorsports Mitty.

Original Bullitt Mustang to Appear at Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance

1 week ago in News

Our friends at Hagerty have a surprise for everyone at the 2018 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance.

Join Us at the Champagne British Car Festival

2 weeks ago in News

Want to celebrate British cars with us?

Shop Secrets

2 weeks ago in Articles

80 Clever Tips for Streamlining Your Workspace

Our Preferred Partners

Mlassic Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
EcdG2BZyLnZeFYoD85gyN3oMxCTahhQ8