Presented by Nine Lives Racing
Brian
Brian UltraDork
5/31/21 10:03 a.m.

any recommendations for an adjustable low rise wing for my 1989 Pontiac firebird formula 350?

I've got a stock rear wing (non-aero) on there now and the rear end feels loose when I hit 90 mph. It only started feeling loose after I went to new stock springs and shocks. The car does have a fiberglass hood, so that's a little lighter on the front end, plus headers, again weight reduction on the front end. I'm GUESSING that now the factory wing isn't very effective because the angle is a bit different due to the front end sitting up a little higher than before.

any help/advice greatly appreciated.  I don't like my son's TBI bird being more stable than my TPI bird lol

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
5/31/21 11:49 a.m.

Is that a one piece thing that's... bolted(?) to the back hatch?

Are you required to keep the third brake light to stay street legal?

Brian
Brian UltraDork
5/31/21 11:53 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

Is that a one piece thing that's... bolted(?) to the back hatch?

Are you required to keep the third brake light to stay street legal?

it's a 1 piece non-wrap around that's bolted to the hatch/trunk lid.
I don't need the 3rd brake light, currently, to be legal

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/11/21 12:30 p.m.

so, based on this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtJp8SNbPf4

this might be a little more difficult than I was thinking.  I would suggest a 949 'build your own' wing kit, and then building uprights that go over about where the edge of the old wing was, and reuse the main bolt on the corner... and then drill another hole ahead of that one and parallel to the edge of the hatch.  But, don't bolt the wing directly to that upright... I'd cut out a second thinner upright that will bolt to the wing on one side (via the four holes in the 949wing's extrusion), and then has two bolt holes on the bottom that interface with a hole and a radiused slot (or incremental degree holes) to allow you to adjust angle.

I wouldn't rely on the single mounting point, because the downforce from the wing is going to create a moment that that single mounting point is going to have trouble with on it's own.

really rough paint sketch of my idea, #becausereasons:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WQtXSNVOsDVGhT2KGPVoyLIrEwJg77la5hIikz0G1EdYJXEH9EFBVnrV9SrXrWUY