1 2
captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
8/16/19 7:45 a.m.
rustybuckets said:

I've been looking for a good value 4x4 for awhile now. I'd use it for winter, longer trips, and some light overlanding/camping. I wouldn't even call it overlanding- just camping out of my truck every once in awhile. This seems to fit the bill! Two questions though -

1) could you tell me how much room is in the back with the middle and back seats removed please?

2) What kind of gas mileage are you getting with your setup?

Thanks!

I doubt I'll be doing much "overlanding" either. Mostly a camping rig that could still go through some trails with ease.

Not sure on measurements at the moment. The wife is currently using it as a daily, so it's back at the casa. I'm fairly certain you can fit two humans laying down and still have foot or head room if you make a platform.

Our mileage has been 10-12 but we drive a very hilly, curvy, and mostly in town commute. They do so much better on the highway, and the STOP-GO traffic kills it. Also I have a right foot problem, I can't seem to let up on the accelerator pedal.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
8/16/19 7:46 a.m.
John Welsh said:

MPG: the epa rating on my 2001 w/ 3.5L is 12/14/18 and calls for Premium. That sounds about right. My gut answer would be 15

Damn. I didn't realize these needed premium. I haven't noticed any knocking on 87, but I'll have to keep my eye out for that.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/16/19 8:26 a.m.

Mine doesn't always get Premium either. There seems to be no glaring negative affects.  

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
8/16/19 8:58 a.m.

Hmmm, that is going to be a cost hit for sure! I'll have to keep pondering this one. 

Thanks guys!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/16/19 9:06 a.m.

Interior space:

I walked out front and took some pics of my dirty, kid haul'n, Montero.

With the 2nd row folded there is about 55" (4ft 7in) of cargo floor.  It is generally very flat which would be goof for sleeping but even if on the diag your going to need to be Little Leaguer sized.

If you unbolt the second row then you gain about another 16-18" depending on front seat placement.  This could get you to a 6ft space, but the floor is not as flat under the rear seating so some platforming would be best.  

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
8/16/19 9:52 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks so much for the measurements! I could fit in there diagonally, and alone with all the seats out, but whats the fun in that?? laugh

Either way it's still a sweet ride!

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
8/16/19 9:57 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I just noticed the 12v power source in the back! That's awesome. I need to find a spare black leather headrest for my 3rd row and a rear window wiper arm. If you run across any let me know!

Brokeback (Matt)
Brokeback (Matt) HalfDork
8/16/19 10:32 a.m.

On my Gen 2 Montero, I built a platform that's bolted in the back (removed rear seats) at the height of the middle row folded down.   No pics at work, but I can get some when i get home.  it works out pretty well - if we're going on a camping trip, I fold down the middle row and then put down the platform/mattress.  The rest of the time, I can still use the seats if needed. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
8/16/19 11:49 a.m.
Brokeback (Matt) said:

On my Gen 2 Montero, I built a platform that's bolted in the back (removed rear seats) at the height of the middle row folded down.   No pics at work, but I can get some when i get home.  it works out pretty well - if we're going on a camping trip, I fold down the middle row and then put down the platform/mattress.  The rest of the time, I can still use the seats if needed. 

Is it necessary to remove the third seat since they tuck in below the platform area? Seems like you could build what you are talking about and skip that step if you didn't want to remove them. Just curious, don't want to pull the seat, but the platform would be nice.

Brokeback (Matt)
8/16/19 12:06 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

Honestly I'm not positive - I don't have third row seats, so i'm not totally sure what they look like folded down.  I have the platform bolted through to some tie down points in the rear - as long as the third row folded down doesn't get in the way, and is OK height-wise with the middle row folded down, seems like you could leave them. But then you gotta remove the platform to use them!

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
8/16/19 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Brokeback (Matt) :

In the pic above you can kinda see the pivot for the third row around the 1' mark on the measuring tape, but the rest all sits under the factory floor. I imagine it would be easier to move/remove a platform than unbolt the seats, but I like your idea. You lose more room folding the second row completely toward the front rather than just doing the half fold.

Brokeback (Matt)
8/16/19 1:38 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

Oh yea - I see it.  That's nifty - on the Gen 2, it folds up and is stowed up against the glass. 

Mine is similar to these pics, although these are for Gen 3 (like yours).  Downside - not much headroom. The piano hinges in the first pic let you actually fold out the platform fully - otherwise it hits the roof.  I used 2" PVC and turnbuckles to bolt it to the floor in the back. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/16/19 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Brokeback (Matt) :

Cool. 

Similar could be achieved with the 2nd row only folded 'flat', not lifted forward. 

Some other pics. 

The 3rd row 'stow and gos" into a large floor bin. It is easy designed so that you can remove the 3rd row w/o tools. Therefore, if you will be camping and not using the 3rd row you can leave it at home and gain a huge storage bin under the floor. 

Brokeback (Matt)
8/16/19 2:58 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Hey John - 

Hard to tell from my description and in the pics, but that's what I was getting at - don't fold the middle row all the way forward, just fold it flat and use that as your sleeping platform height.  

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/16/19 6:42 p.m.

This is stupendous and i am going to start collecting Jeep spares myself! 

I love my 87 Montero and while i have no real use for a 3g due to excessive overlap with other stuff i own, i know they're awesome too and this is gonna be great. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
8/16/19 10:16 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

I had a few search criteria that found the ones I was looking for all within a short period of time, but the one that popped up the most was just "jeep spare". Hopefully there are plenty in your area to snatch up as well. It's almost comical how many ads for just one new/never used tire there were. Just be careful of the date codes. I wasted one evening to meet a guy that failed to mention there was cracking all around the treads. For some reason he still thought that was BRAND new.

As much as I love the First Gen, the 3rd just is so much more refined. I'm sure plenty will argue they aren't as capable, but I'll probably never reach the threshold of what would hold this back anyway. I'd still snatch up a good example of another early LS model though, they really are neat.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
8/17/19 8:25 a.m.
Stainless said:

If you can swing it (and if you plan to be the only vehicle out there), an auxiliary battery with a manual isolation switch is really nice. That way, you can run lights or whatever at camp without ever running the risk of killing the starting battery. It's not strictly necessary, but it's nice to not worry about remembering to start the truck every couple hours while you're drawing power. 

Just realized I have a couple spare batteries. One of these may just become the auxiliary, just gotta sort some wiring.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
bjHZwM0DSHydJZJHpGtNF5TZpufbgaomuTS4xpMAdCUdflhiYl0tKZidJ7ucgnc4