1 2 3
RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/19/21 10:36 a.m.

Here she is in her natural habitat, feeding.

2002, V10, 4x4, 148k miles. Limited package, leather, heated seats, yada yada.

It came with a new rear bumper to replace the beat one that's on it. Current pissing washer fluid out of the body under the passenger door. I can't feel any tubes, just started when I got home and tried to run the rear washer. 

Steering is umm suggestive. I was on a 40mph wide left sweeper and the wheel was wanting to pull to the right. Tracks fine on the highway if you keep a hand on it.

I forget the brand but it's got manual hubs up front, Amazon special light bar with switches, brand shiny new pads rotors and calipers.

It current needs struts for the back door, it doesn't stay up.

Came with weathertech mats throughout, and an alpine head unit I'm not sure I'm keeping.

Wheels could really use a hard blasting and refinish, I've shop vacdabout 2 small dogs worth of fur out of it so far and there's at least one more in the carpet.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/19/21 10:42 a.m.

Man has picture uploading slowed to a crawl.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
5/19/21 10:47 a.m.

I remember reading Ford made $5000 profit per unit on these and was floored. Now they try to make that (or more) on everything and it's why things are so truck-ey today.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/19/21 11:26 a.m.

This is going to be more of a maintenance log thread, considering I bought it without ever opening a door let alone driving it. 

I'm meeting the guy who has owned it since 2011 tomorrow, I'm hoping to get a history on when the plugs and coils were changed, as well as fluids. It was his tow pig for his off-road toys.

Rear hatch struts are ordered, as well as a spare coil to keep in the glove box.

The exhaust manifold is going to need replaced at some point, it rattles on a cold start, I'm keeping an eye out for a sale or discount on a banks header, but may have a lead in a cheap stock manifold. I haven't looked but if it hasn't been done yet, I'm probably going to do the Y pipe mod.

Still having the billboards I was going to make garage doors with, I'm going to cut a piece off that would go from the rear doors to the back of the front seats, and up to the Windows. Fold it up and store it in vehicle somewhere so when I have to haul something really messy I can throw it down. 

I'm trying to find somewhere in the house to store the third row seat where I won't have to worry about mice or move it every time I need something.

Dave's body guy is supposed to get in touch with me about finishing the rocker repair soon.

I want to find something to block off the hole in the headliner where the DVD player used to live . Probably going to wind up swapping the interior lights to led as well.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
5/19/21 11:30 a.m.
GCrites80s said:

I remember reading Ford made $5000 profit per unit on these and was floored. Now they try to make that (or more) on everything and it's why things are so truck-ey today.

They make 14K in profit for every F150 produced...

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
5/19/21 11:40 a.m.

How many gallons per mile are you getting with it? I seem to remember that the V10s were real gas hogs. FWIW: My 07 F150 5.4 Supercab 4x4 gets 12-14 on a regular basis. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/19/21 11:59 a.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

According to the trip computer 9.6 average. Just about half the mpg of the Ranger it's replacing. 

I've done 4500 miles in the last 3 years, fuel efficiency isn't really a concern of mine. It's an automatic with better family and stuff hauling ability than the Ranger, that's what mattered to me. 

Just noticed rear passenger tire is low, that might have something small to do with the ride home. Scratch that. 30RR, 60RF, over 75 LF, 50LR.

Edit: they're all at 60 now. Hankook Dynapro Atm RP10s. Rated for 80psi cold, 60 even should do fine until I get a gauge that goes that high

Dana wants a ladder or running boards. Standing on the driveway, the top of her head is level with the top of the side mirror. 

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
5/19/21 12:42 p.m.

I get that. We bought our's for occasional desert/snow trips and hardware store runs. I've put about 15k on it in just under 3 years.

Our truck came with a set of 12" long cast aluminum steps. When we first bought the truck they were mounted near the front of the doors. It felt really awkward getting in and out of the truck so I thought about taking them off. I wound up moving them back about 15" so they are more centered in in the door opening instead. It's a lot easier to get in and out of now. I used to think they we're a waste of money on a stock height truck, but these days I don't think I'd want a truck without them.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/19/21 2:09 p.m.

Ok the washer fluid leak is between the firewall and the reservoir, which is conveniently located below one of the batteries. Maybe if the fender liner comes out I can fix it without pulling the battery.

The AC doesn't work. This, this is going to be annoying. I think I'm actually going to try to get it fixed, if not for myself, for the people that eventually ride in the back. 

This thing is just massive

Fluid leak at firewall

Ok, boot was disconnected at the firewall. Now it's leaking before the rear door connection. I need to pull the furthest back light to get the headliner down far enough. 

Yup, broken check valve. Like broken broken. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/19/21 10:34 p.m.

I think the 2 post, exterior rear view mirrors denote a tow package. 

Standard, lesser mirror.

She's a beaut Clark!

Smells like steak and seats 35...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/19/21 10:43 p.m.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
5/20/21 12:15 a.m.

Wife unit had an F-series the same era.

Her A/C was inop. Turned out to be a worn clutch. The fix was taking the center bolt out and removing a washer so it would lock up again. Might be worth a shot if it gets you a free fix.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/20/21 12:05 p.m.

70 At each corner is better than 60.

Slow, 15-40mph left turns are sketchy. The wheel really wants to pull right. Right turns at the same speed are fine. 

This afternoon will be armor all wipes and new washer blades.

Grabbed soon fuel line to try to patch the rear washer fluid port. The check valve in the headliner busted good. Without a check valve it should all just bleed back to the reservoir, which is better than pouring all over the back.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/20/21 2:11 p.m.

Shoot me a mailing address jim at misfittoysracing dot com and the next time Im running the 3d printer I'll fire off one for you (optionally if you have a 3d printer I can email you the files)

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/20/21 2:27 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Message sent. Thanks a ton.

I'd been talking to MNDSM and he let me know this kind of vinyl exists. I was planning to cut some logos out, but printed ones would definitely be cooler. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/20/21 2:32 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Not only does it exist, that's my hand in the background!

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/21/21 6:33 p.m.

Legally mine now, and technically legal to be on the road. I've got 30 days for new inspection stickers, Tuesday they're going on.

Looks like I have a busted leaf spring shackle on the back passenger. Bottom leaf is just kinda flopping around.

Shocks look original.

Brakes, while all new, are soft and squishy. I wouldn't trust this to panic stop currently let alone stop a load on the back, but I've had this complaint about early 2000s Ford brakes since the early 2000s. 

AC system is empty. Like empty empty. So going to vacuum it then fill it with dye at some point in the hopefully near future and get that fixed. 

I see people lifting these to ridiculous heights, has anyone dropped them an inch or two? 

For the first time in my life, I managed to buy the wrong type of wiper blades. Every other pair I've ever bought has had adapters in the pack, not these ones. Hopefully Napa has a good return policy. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/21/21 10:01 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

The brakes on the E250 are actually pretty damn awesome. The only oddity is occasionally under hard braking it'll sometimes pull to one side, then the other. I think it's more of a KPI/road surface type issue than any mechanical problem with the van though. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/25/21 4:20 p.m.

Anyone reading this know if the exhaust manifold from a 3 valve v10 will play nice with a 2 valve motor?

Edit for anyone reading this in the future.

The answer is no, here are the exhaust manifold gaskets, 3 valve on the left, 2 on the right.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/26/21 3:38 p.m.

I agreed to running boards if they could be found under $300.

I should have looked harder before I said that. But these showed up today, to be put on some time next week. I think they'll look alright. 

Wasn't expecting them until Friday actually, but when I went out to fix the rear hatch struts there it was.

Speaking of, I bought a left and a right from rock auto. I got 2 of the same part number. The new drivers side strut is 1/4" too long to fit.

Luckily, it was just the passenger strut that was shot, so I replaced it and left the old one. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
6/3/21 3:39 p.m.

Did you know Canyonero has speakers in the third row? I just found that out when I replaced the ones in the door. Almost sounds good now though.

base model Kenwood. Still much better than the ancient 25 watt OE ones. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/3/21 4:26 p.m.
84FSP said:
GCrites80s said:

They make 14K in profit for every F150 produced...

Got to love that chicken tax that doesn't let Toyota undercut them (assuming they would even want to)

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/3/21 4:30 p.m.

This thread is of interest to me since I am scouting for my next towing rig . I certainly looked at these, But the facts that they are all older than my current 2005 Sequoia, and also so much bigger than a truck that is already big, makes me somewhat tentative to think more seriously about them lol

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/3/21 8:09 p.m.

Running boards...

The boards I added to my Super Duty were iBoard Brand (like iPhone) gotten off Amazon. They are aluminum and for me were cheaper than steel which will rust away fast.  See if there is a similar offer for the Excursion

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
6/3/21 8:44 p.m.

Oh a fellow Excursion owner! 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wTAJiYotLq4B5D4J1rpIE3laPA3S2Ptf3IaCRVjngRR5kRTIC3zJ48ImT489Bt24