1 2 3
Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/28/13 7:49 p.m.

You may have seen my thread in which I outlined our plans to build a Model A Roadster pickup.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1929-ford-model-a-roadster-pickup/61707/page1/

Well, that idea has been squashed and the new plan is to build a Model A Speedster, powered by an 8BA Flathead V8, and run it in The Race of Gentlemen.

I felt that a new thread was in order.

Our Flatty is at the machine shop. All the new goodies that Dave bought for it have arrived and are awaiting installation. I had already purchased a very good 1929 Roadster cowl around which to build the car and the next step was to find a chassis.

I looked at a bunch of cars and parts, but couldn't find anything that seemed to fit the bill. There was a local car that I have known about for the past few years. It was exactly three miles from my house and I drive past the house often, always hoping to find someone outside so that I could stop and ask if they would be interested in selling it. That never happened and I was moments away from buying another car. Finally, I decided to drop a note in the mailbox. A few hours later, I got a phone call. I was invited to take a closer look the following day. A deal was struck and this morning, I dragged home my dream-pile.

photo ModelATudor_zps9d406651.jpg

It's a 1928-29 Ford Model A Tudor and it's remarkably solid for its age. Loading and transport were fun and uneventful, with the help of my trailer, The Enabler, and a cheap Harbor Freight winch. Surprisingly, the ancient tires had air in them and the wheels were free to turn.

Dave represents the brains of the operation, and here he is overseeing the upload.

photo ModelATudor001_zpse271e2b4.jpg

With the little car secured to the trailer, we made the short trek to Dave's shop; home of an overhead crane, sandblaster, a Bridgeport mill, lathe, welders and various other implements of reconstruction.

photo ModelATudor008_zps81706a51.jpg

As much as I love Model A Tudors (and this is a pretty good one), this is going to be a chassis donor for our Speedster. We'll be using an original Roadster cowl, and fabricating everything from there on back. The body will be removed and sold, hopefully to someone else headed to the ROG. We're not exactly sure what's going to become of the original four cylinder ("Banger") engine yet, but we have a few ideas.

photo ModelATudor028_zps6d1959fd.jpg

photo ModelATudor012_zps20f8401d.jpg

photo ModelATudor011_zpse811900e.jpg

photo ModelATudor013_zps21e0cc0b.jpg

photo ModelATudor004_zps9d3525f8.jpg

photo ModelATudor036_zpsac664ca4.jpg

photo ModelATudor033_zps21e739a6.jpg

And of course, here's the Roadster cowl:

photo RoadsterCowl016_zps33b610af.jpg

The goal is to end up with a fenderless, V8 Speedster that looks something like this one from the front...

...and this from behind...

...with a bunch of our own ideas mixed in along the way.

alex
alex UltraDork
3/28/13 7:53 p.m.

Hell. Yes.

I still wish you were looking for this project when I had my '31 sedan for sale. On a LaSalle frame, too. Stout little bastard. It's a very stereotypical rat rod now. Oh well.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/28/13 7:54 p.m.

Again, we shall not be using the expression Rat Rod...

alex
alex UltraDork
3/28/13 8:01 p.m.

Yeah. I was happy it went to somebody who'd build it instead of letting it languish like I did. I just wish it went to somebody who didn't like SBCs and welded spiderwebs so much. So it goes.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/28/13 11:01 p.m.

favorite'ed. I'll be watching this build.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
3/29/13 12:48 a.m.

That is great to see this project getting under way. Good luck getting it sorted, I started reading about a guy restoring a 1936 gas powered welder and am starting to get interested in the real old stuff. I like model A's too so I'll be watching.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/29/13 6:40 a.m.

Poke around here for a little inspiration.

Dan

http://www.nwvs.org/CarPhotos/CarPhotos.shtml

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
3/29/13 7:03 a.m.

Congrats Woody! That Tudor would have need a $3-$5k car here in IL.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/29/13 1:34 p.m.

Lots of beautiful stuff on that NWVS site. I've been on there many times. It's also a good place to see some ideas that, uh...don't exactly work. I can learn a lot there.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/29/13 5:05 p.m.

Dave made some progress while I was at work today.

We have had this car for just about 24 hours.

photo TudorBody_zps9bd33cc6.jpg

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/29/13 5:30 p.m.

photo Chassis1_zps9738eba1.jpg

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/29/13 5:30 p.m.

photo Chassis2_zpsaf9eb8a7.jpg

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/29/13 5:33 p.m.

impressive

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
3/29/13 5:40 p.m.

Almost staggering in it's simplicity. After a day of trying to chase electrons around the Porsche I find the mechanicals of an A quite refreshing. That chassis would just about run and drive like that wouldn't it?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/29/13 5:43 p.m.

Yup. We'd just need to add a fuel tank, battery and transmission.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/30/13 8:11 p.m.

Minor progress today.

Today, I went down to Dave's shop to take a better look at the chassis, and it's surprisingly solid for its age.

photo ModelATudor010_zps046b7af2.jpg

photo ModelATudor009_zps97874127.jpg

I decided to haul the trailer and the body home, and to remove the radiator and grill surround, so I could work on them over the weekend.

Here's a shot of my dad (visiting from Florida) talking to Vinny, who works for Dave on the weekends. One of them is slightly older than the car, the other, slightly younger. Both have poor taste in hats.

photo ModelATudor004_zps0afeeef5.jpg

Looks like we need a bigger propeller.

photo ModelATudor014_zps69a9fe3f.jpg

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/30/13 9:52 p.m.

I would love to find an early 30s Plymouth to do an all-Mopar rod.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
3/30/13 10:10 p.m.

Love this - will be watching.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
3/31/13 8:03 a.m.

Very cool project which I look forward to following. I just saw an episode of Hot Rod TV covering the ROG which stated that the entry list is limited to 100 vehicles. At that level won't it be hard to get accepted as it seems most entrants are previous contestants?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/31/13 6:24 p.m.

This morning, I liberated the gas tank and firewall from Tudor body.

photo ModelATudor012_zpsc29dc4af.jpg

They will be combined with the windshield posts of the Roadster cowl that I already have. The Roadster pieces are in pretty good condition, but these are just a little better. I'll reattach the Roadster pieces to the Tudor body and they will go along with it when the body finds a new home.

photo ModelATudor017_zpsc0bfe224.jpg

photo RoadsterCowl016_zps33b610af.jpg

photo ModelATudor018_zps0ed1c4e2.jpg

photo ModelATudor019_zps90f47518.jpg

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
3/31/13 7:22 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Cool man watching this one...

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
3/31/13 8:23 p.m.

This is what I wish I was working on instead of my GMC, honestly... I am excited to see your progress

stroker
stroker Dork
3/31/13 8:42 p.m.

I dare you to name the car the "Hannibal Twin-8".

:)

twirls mustache...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/1/13 2:21 p.m.

Last night's eBay score:

It's a Vern Tardel Model A K member, which is basically a Deuce K member sized to fit a Model A frame. It makes the installation of Flathead V8 into a Model A much easier. It also gives you a place to mount the brake and clutch pedals, since they were originally mounted to the Model A transmission, which we are not using. These are currently unavailable, but I found a new, unused unit on eBay. Didn't save any money on it though...

Vern literally wrote the book on A-V8s.

A great deal of stress was endured, due to an eBay auction that was set to end at 4 AM on Easter Sunday.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
4/1/13 3:07 p.m.

I like this thread.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dOFZuQrDBJ9C301W0v4gUtuR2RXd0pGSxiZf54DlrlNib672hTNJNyEcJYE65pwb