1 2
52project
52project New Reader
10/17/13 11:37 p.m.

Hello my name is Aaron I'm 17 and am planning on rat roding my 52 pickup. I bought the truck when I was 14 and have done a little work to it. I've recently have been motivated to do something to it!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/18/13 12:07 a.m.

welcome aboard Aaron!

Post some pictures of your truck, and tell us about your plans for it.

I'm going to move this to the build threads so everyone knows where to look as they keep tabs on your progress.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/18/13 12:14 a.m.

Posting pictures: Usually the pictures are externally hosted at some place like flicker/smugmug/picasa-google+/pinterest. If you don't have an account at any of those places, put some photos of the truck into the entry for your truck in "My Garage" here. (You have made an entry, right?) Now, here's how to post a picture:

goto a page/site with the picture.
right click and copy the URL/address of the picture
click the camera icon above the Your Comment box
past the picture URL into the popup dialog
click OK click Add Post

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/18/13 5:52 a.m.

Welcome!

You have earned instant credibility by not adding an apostrophe to the name "Willys".

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/18/13 7:02 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Now earn extra credit by pronouncing it correctly!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/18/13 7:35 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Woody: Now earn extra credit by pronouncing it correctly!

What'chu talkin' 'bout?

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/18/13 11:02 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

I guess that should have been in reply to 52project, not you.
And BTW, 52, I can't see the picture you posted.

52project
52project New Reader
10/18/13 11:10 a.m.

http://s831.photobucket.com/user/shirtmaker96/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-1.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=97407448&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=1 http://s831.photobucket.com/user/shirtmaker96/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-2.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=97407448&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0

Okay guys bare with me here haha I'm trying to do all this from my iPhone in class haha

52project
52project New Reader
10/18/13 11:11 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace: can you see the URLs I just posted?

52project
52project New Reader
10/18/13 11:34 a.m.

So I'm not really sure where I'm going with this yet. All I know is I want the frame shorten and stronger. I have no clue what to do for the front end yet. The truck has a inline 6 Chevy engine that I might keep, I also have a 350 I could put in it. If you guys have any ideas please let me know! All insight and ideas help

Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
10/18/13 12:51 p.m.

Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
10/18/13 12:58 p.m.

I wouldn't rat-ta-tat-tat that thing. Maybe a drivetrain swap and running gear upgrades, but mostly I would just drive the hell out of it.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/18/13 12:59 p.m.

That thing is WAY too good for a rat.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
10/18/13 1:05 p.m.

I would also say to not rat it up. That thing is sweet

52project
52project New Reader
10/18/13 1:08 p.m.

Yeah it super clean, but I've always have wanted a rat. And seeing as I can't get the amount of money for it that I want and everything else (even rust bucket piles of crap) are to expensive for me.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/18/13 1:14 p.m.

Lets remember what originally made Rat Rods cool: when all you had was a rusty POS, but you drove it around in its unfinished state anyway, that was cool. To take a perfectly nice vehicle, add rust, ridiculous bass-ackward engineering and sub-standard parts is NOT COOL!

If it's nice, make it nicer or keep it as-is. For Dog's sake please don't ruin a perfectly good truck for the sake of a fad that's about run it's course anyway.

Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
10/18/13 1:54 p.m.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
10/18/13 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Bumboclot:

That thing looks berking stupid.

Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
10/18/13 2:49 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

Hence the "whatthe" smiley.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
10/18/13 2:58 p.m.

All that thing needs is some drivin'. Way too nice to be a rat rod, throw a winch on the front and you're done.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/18/13 3:05 p.m.

Header, cam, intake manifold and carb and drive it. That is way too nice to rat out. I like rat rods but ratting that truck would be a shame. It will be the coolest vehicle at your school.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
10/18/13 3:06 p.m.

Man repaint that thing in green bead-liner without the sand, add some bigger tires and do a quick motor/transmission swap and I would love that thing.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
10/18/13 3:41 p.m.

In reply to 52project:

That's the best looking un-restored one I've seen in a long time. I realize it's your truck and your right to do what you want to with it but I agree with the other posters, please don't cut that truck up. It's WAY too cool to do that to.

There are several rat rods locally that I really like but those guys surely didn't start out with a vehicle in that kind of condition. They were rusty pieces and parts that they scrounged up.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
10/18/13 9:32 p.m.
Bumboclot wrote: I wouldn't rat-ta-tat-tat that thing. Maybe a drivetrain swap and running gear upgrades, but mostly I would just drive the hell out of it.

ditto. That thing is awesome as-is. Fix it up, upgrade some stuff, and rock it. Ratting it takes the best things away from that truck. Rat rods are for when the truck/car is too trashed to be saved in its original form.

Or sell it to someone who wants it for what it is, and then go find some rusty old pickup and rat it out. Plenty of those in junkyards for dirt cheap.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
10/18/13 9:50 p.m.

Is this your main ride? If so, you'll regret rat-rodding quickly. Uncomfortable!!!

Don't really understand making things look bad on purpose. Seems to be just a waste of money and time. Now if it started out looking bad and you just made it run, that's a whole different story. That's cool!! Or built out of spare parts laying around. That's also cool!

There are too many nice vehicles lost to scrap because someone gets an idea and quickly runs out of talent and ability and don't have $$ to rescue it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hiYwbSSpjRuZJinNKPBkWldIQKSTdVIQMPCa2rxoOdkUedDIxh0T4W00ootjML2d