1 2 3 4 5
bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
12/29/18 12:20 a.m.

Also any one that has dimensions of motors suggested feel free to post that.  

I'm still in planning stages with it. Because if I start on this before I get the ghia drivable my wife would kill me.  

I already got distracted with getting two motorcycles running and the mazda 3. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 New Reader
12/29/18 11:38 a.m.

The firewall cave for the crossflow looks pretty reasonable, and they are a great engine. Can be stroked to over 1700cc and make good torque and power. Also fits standard Ford bell housing, so good gearbox choices. Plenty of go for a 100E. Do it!

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
12/29/18 6:14 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Issue I have with the crossflow is money.  To get one, then build it up to make 150hp is alot of money. 

And if I'm going to cut off most of the firewall I'll go v8. 

The honda v6 is real short and would fit. But by the time I got the engine, harness, ecm, and adapter plate that's an easy 5k. Then I got to get a sbc automatic with overdrive. So that swap adds up fast.  But it's a small package with 250hp. 

I also thought rotary. It's also small and would basically fit. But then it be a rotary, while cool they aren't known for their reliability. 

This car will be daily driven when do.  So I want a drivetrain setup that I can relatively easily get parts for. I don't want to have to wait a month to get a part from Europe for example. 

I really want it to have efi and has to have overdrive, no exception on that. 

Where I live I10 west is 80mph speed limit once out of town. 2 out of the 3 roads I drive to work are 70mph speed limit 2 lanes roads. So overdrive is a must to me. Followed by heat (I hate being cold, why i left MI @18) then a/c. 

I really like the gasser look.  And a lq4 gets good mpg. While it be badass, it's just not practical for any real driving. I've had friends with gassers, the novelty usually wears off in a year or two.  

I forgot to mention the Suzuki comment earlier. I actually looked into them early on. Mostly because I wanted a 4x4 anglia, but the wife shot that one down in a hurry. She's good about my automotive hobby but she draws the line on some things.  And the Anglia and the ghia are for her. I got the jeep fc170 and the 68 satellite to go for me.  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 New Reader
12/29/18 6:36 p.m.

In reply to bigfranks84 :

I would say no rotary from personal experience with their hot exhaust, but interestingly there is a local to me 105E with a 13B in it.I saw it at the grocery store! You should be able to make a strong enough crossflow for under $2500. Also you mention an automatic with the Honda V6. I think your gearing selection with a stick shift trans that bolts directly to the crossflow will be on target. Say about 2500 rpm at 75 mph, but some more research might be required.I live in the land of twisty roads, and I still like long gears. My vision for your car has it looking nearly stock from outside, not the gasser look at all.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
12/29/18 7:44 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Rotary 105e sounds neat. Sadly the 105e engine bag is huge compared to the 100e. 

The short engine bay is what haves me leaning towards a fwd setup. 

I do have a worn out ford 1.6 in my bobcat 642.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/29/18 7:55 p.m.

What about like a Geo Metro 3 banger swung round 90 degrees and driving something thru an adapter plate?  Should be looking at around 50-60 HP, which would move that little car easily.  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 New Reader
12/29/18 9:28 p.m.

Would the Bobcat run on the 100E? A true engine swap!

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
12/30/18 8:43 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

3.4 v6 and 5 speed from 4th gen camaro. Easy button, and common mg swap. I just made a similar swap in my miata.....

Well looky here

https://bringatrailer.com/2017/01/24/camaro-powered-custom-1956-ford-anglia-100e/

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/30/18 11:24 a.m.

Zetec SVT makes 170hp and will bolt up to the pinto 2.0 bell and Merkur 5 speed box.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
12/30/18 12:38 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

The guys across the pond have been doing zetec swaps

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=338438

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/30/18 2:48 p.m.

There are some small things to do to bolt a Zetec to the old bellhousing but nothing to serious.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
12/30/18 8:19 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

Really? Everything I had read about making a zetec rwd sounded like money. I know the Europeans were using a bell housing from some European car to make it rwd. 

I cant imagine the pinto 2.0 bell housing have gotten any easier to find. I had a buddy that hunted a long time to find o e about 5-7 years ago. And it took a long time to find one worth buying.  

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
12/31/18 12:14 a.m.

I have a friend with a Quad4Rods Zetec-to-T5 bellhousing he may want to sell.

Why not a 2.3L Duratec with a Ranger trans?  It's already bolted together.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/31/18 12:36 a.m.

a Vauxhall red-top no better way to piss off any remaining purists out there.  It's like the UKs surrogate Chevy vs Ford battle. laugh

stan
stan UltraDork
12/31/18 9:16 a.m.
bigfranks84 said:

In reply to RossD :

Really? Everything I had read about making a zetec rwd sounded like money. I know the Europeans were using a bell housing from some European car to make it rwd. 

I cant imagine the pinto 2.0 bell housing have gotten any easier to find. I had a buddy that hunted a long time to find o e about 5-7 years ago. And it took a long time to find one worth buying.  

I have the bell housing from my 2.0 Ranger 4-speed. (...and the 2.0 ). Does anyone know if it's the same as a "Pinto" 2.0 bell housing? 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
12/31/18 11:20 a.m.

The Duratec has its own bellhousing pattern, it does not share the Pinto. If it's a way older Ranger with the old Lima engine, it's different than the Pinto, but should share the 2.3L.  The 2.0L Pinto is a German Ford; the 'Murican Ford Pinto 2.3L motor is different.

(Recovering Pintoholic)

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/8/19 11:50 p.m.

Well, its going be a bit before I tear it apart. But I do have my plan.  

Plan is to yank out the stock drivetrain. One of the frame rails up front is rusted out. So they need to redone anyways. So my plan is to build a 2x3 frame chassis for it. 

I'll be using the mazda 3 parts car I got as a donor. It's not worth the hassle to get it titled ( not knocking bmw88rider I got it for free and as a parts car). My plan it to make the frame fit the subframes of the mazda 3. Its going be real close to being the right track widths. 

Using the 3 as a donor gives me everything I need. Gives me the fuel tank, lines, pump,  front and rear suspension and a good running powertrain. And a 2.5 with 170hp in around a 2k car should be fun to drive and get 30+mpg and be able to drive 80+mph. 

And if I ever decide to go back to rwd the frame rails will be set wide enough for any option I'd want to use.  

But first I need to build a garage. We had some good wind storms and was able to claim my roofs out. So before I get those replaced (because roofing sucks and insurance covers like 85%) I want to build an attached garage. For two reasons,  one my wife wants one we have never had one. And two, so I can work on concrete because pee gravel sucks. 

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/9/19 11:14 a.m.

That is such a cool looking little car!

I've used a 3.8 series II in a mid engine setup. They are pretty awesome. However, I've decided not to use iron block boat anchors any more. I have an aluminum LS1 in my Isuzu pickup and for  my latest swap (mid engine 74 Super Beetle) I'm using a Honda C32. It's a longitudinally mounted aluminum 3.2l V6 rated at 230hp with a 6 speed manual. The trans is obviously not an option for you. 

Is the Zetec aluminum block? I think the Ecotec motors are. I agree with you about 4 cylinders being too long. What RWD aluminum block V6 options are there? Not many. Adapting a J series Honda to RWD would be cool. I think there were stock versions rated at 270hp. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
1/9/19 11:30 a.m.

Won't the track width be significantly different to try to use the fwd transaxle? My suggestion would be to use the engine from the Mazda 3 and everything you need to make it run. Then grab a Mazda Miata NC transmission or a Duratec Ranger transmission depending on the shifter location. Then keep the rear axle stock and just don't put sticky tires on it until you find a beefier replacement. Way less than work than replacing the the entire front and rear end.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/9/19 1:26 p.m.

I'm not suggesting a FWD trans. Maybe adapt a Honda J V6 to rwd? I'm not a fan of adapters though. I think the late model Camaro V6s are aluminum? That might be my choice. Then again, I think they're pretty bulky. Don't they have the exhaust manifolds cast into the head and are OHC? A pushrod aluminum V6. There's the ticket! But who made one :( 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/9/19 5:41 p.m.

In reply to carwhisperer:

Problem with j series is cost. I like the motors ,looked heavily into them.  Marked motorsports has a rwd kit and turn key kits. But your stuck running SBC automatics and I think there was another guy making adapters to the Toyota truck transmission. Adapters were running about 1k last I looked.  

In reply to rossd:

Regardless of what motor swap I do I have to redo the front suspension. One its garbage on a good day. Two the passenger rail is about rotted in half from battery leakage over 60 years. 

Factory rear would blow up with any other motor pushing power to it. So I have to redo the rear end and suspension regardless. 

Once you swap the engines on these little 100e everything else will be subpar. Brakes are rubbish, suspension is rubbish, tires can't grip, etc. So basically leave it stock or change everything is two paths with these.

Rough measurements so far should put the factory mazda 3 wheels about an inch outside the body on each side. With a slightly more tucked in wheel I think I can roll the fenders enough to cover. If I swap to 15s and some 185s I bet I could get them tucked in.  

And the biggest thing is I have the 3. I dropped in some money to get it working.  But I'm basically into it for $500 and have all the parts I need for the swap except couple sticks of 2x3 tubing. 

carwhisperer
carwhisperer Reader
1/15/19 12:28 p.m.

How about a 3 cylinder Suzuki Swift engine bolted to a 2WD Geo Tracker Trans? I believe the 4 cylinder Swift engines will bolt into a Samurai (which didn't come in 2WD, right?), so it stands to reason that a 3 cylinder would bolt to a Tracker (aka 2nd gen Samurai) trans, doesn't it? Not much power, but at least you'd have efi and you can always add a turbo.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
1/15/19 1:36 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

What is an adapter like this worth?

I could see my self swapping a Zetec in to a mustang.

TommyWants
TommyWants New Reader
1/15/19 2:23 p.m.

SHO V8? I've read that with minor clearancing it bolts to the Ranger trans

carwhisperer
carwhisperer Reader
1/15/19 2:33 p.m.
akylekoz said:
SkinnyG said:

What is an adapter like this worth?

I could see my self swapping a Zetec in to a mustang.

To help with highjacking this thread, I'd like to put a newer Mustang 2.3t in an old Falcon with late 90s Lexus SC suspension. Looks like you can get a 2015ish turbo motor for around $2500 on ebay. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8qiz83KEsOGWeBmPmpTrnIyUCGpz9lQrKujV5Y2YZMBuUwuyefExcFZzSYCMVonP