2 3 4 5 6
bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/15/19 9:35 p.m.

In reply to carwhisperer :

I actually looked into the EcoBoost but its direct injected and then you need the control pack to run it. Adds up fast, you're cheaper buying a wrecked runner from what I saw. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/15/19 9:37 p.m.

In reply to TommyWants :

Seems like a waste to throw a ranger trans behind the sho. I've ridden in old sho and I've had ranger 5 speeds, cant imagine a ranger trans behind anything sporty. 

carwhisperer
carwhisperer Reader
1/16/19 6:27 p.m.

In reply to bigfranks84 :

Good point

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/12/19 7:12 p.m.

Got some more free time these days.  So dragged the anglia over and started working on it. 

And apparently whatever random hardware around is what they used to put this thing together. 

And since I pulled the anglia out and put the jeep in.  Poor thing got back burner again. 

Now to decide on a plan. My two plans I'm thinking of.  

A- build a full 2x3 frame rails and have to make inner fender and strut mounts. 

B- cut off front of Mazda 3 and weld in the whole shabam. 

Racerjiggs
Racerjiggs New Reader
2/13/19 9:10 a.m.

In reply to bigfranks84 :

Great project. I have a full race 70 Cortina GT with a 2.3 , t5 and Winters mini quick change. I am old school so my 2.3 uses a pair of Weber 50DCO carbs, .620 lift Esslinger cam in a new Esslinger Aluminum head. Bottom end is Race Engineering block, DWA crankshaft, Wiesco pistons and Eagle rods. Not had her on a dyno, but estimate 260 Hp at the flywheel. Haven't raced her since 2015, did a complete rebuild of the Cortina in '16/'17.

Had problems with engine in 2018 plus screwed clutch hydraulics/TO bearing/clutch fork.  Just about to order a Tilton hydraulic TO setup.

You can see the Cortina at www.elliottracingatlantic.com. Includes 2 great videos, one is in-car

Gerald Elliott

Elliott Racing

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
2/13/19 9:56 a.m.

If you haven't seen the Mongrel build yet, I highly reccomend it:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgAuCBRNekbEf1lwD91-t9w9Fn9vP46zE

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/13/19 7:09 p.m.
captainawesome said:

If you haven't seen the Mongrel build yet, I highly reccomend it:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgAuCBRNekbEf1lwD91-t9w9Fn9vP46zE

Been watching it from the beginning 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/13/19 7:12 p.m.

Update, rode the  rebel to go get it inspected and once I got back started on the anglia. 

Any one need a tiny flathead? Sell it to a grm cheap

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/15/19 7:32 p.m.

Decided to pick up around the yard some instead of working on the cars. But I got an area cleaned where I can park them side by side. 

And the sunset as I was wrapping up outside 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/15/19 9:45 p.m.

Seeing them side by side, it becomes obvious the width difference between the two.  The Anglia, sure is narrow

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/16/19 12:04 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Yeah, and with the fenders off it looks even skinnier. It's actually pretty "close" to a miata in size. Well,  If 6in shorter and 8in skinnier is close to you.  

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/16/19 12:37 a.m.

This is a cool build, but why cut Mazda 3 nose job?but 2.3 liters and a t5 tranny,this will be fast. Are you going to hide all the mods? This would be a cool fast sleeper. I have a friend in so.cal. who put a boosted 2.2 ecotec engine in a vw bug. A real one from the early 71. It is really fast, and a sleeper.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/16/19 10:13 a.m.

In reply to Alfaromeoguy :

Couple reasons, I've had 2.3 and t5s. NA are garbage and cant even get out of their own way. 2.3t was a plan, but the electronics are garbage and they aren't known for their reliability. I've owned 4 third turbocoupes back in the day. And they weigh as much as a v8 and take up almost as much room. 

If I'm moving the firewall back a foot it sure isn't going be for a 4 cylinder,  I'll go v8 at that point. 

Biggest reason is I have the Mazda 3 and have minimal money in it and have no other use for it (paperwork issues). So I can use it and be into this swap for little money. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/16/19 10:48 a.m.

"I already have it" is always the best reason!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/16/19 11:16 a.m.

With a little bit of finesse, it would drop on to an MGB sub-frame. And while the MGB engine is not worth scrap metal value, the engine bay does accept V6 and V8 variants and the suspension is not too bad. 

Might be more work than you are looking for?

Remind me why the Miata engine and box was not the easy button?

Pete

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/16/19 11:41 a.m.

2.3 engine will be to.keep that little car balanced,and you can get decent power out of it, with almost no weight to speak of, 175 200 hp, would make it quite quick

.i.i do not believe that any v8 engine in that car would be an upgrade compared to a tuned 2.3 4 cly

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
2/16/19 1:44 p.m.

When you're putting a V8 into a car like this, it's not for practical reasons, it's just for the sheer horror of it.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/16/19 4:07 p.m.

For the sheer ' horror ' I like that

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/16/19 7:57 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Have to cut the firewall and move it back a foot. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/16/19 8:03 p.m.

Well progress happened today. Worked on it most of the day today. 

Started with a perfectly good and running Mazda 3

Then when you jack sucks and wont lift high enough. 

I guess I forgot to take pictures while I was cutting the Anglia up to make it fit. 

This is where I stopped for the night. Ran out of light and energy. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
2/16/19 8:06 p.m.

The TBI unit is half under the cowl on my V8 Firefly.  It takes me 2.5 hours to change plugs (the back four come out the bottom). There is no radio or heater because engine. Your feet will get warm though, let me tell you.

But man, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I've probably already posted the link....

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/17/19 1:13 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

Read that whole thread. Don't get me wrong I'd love a lq4 in this, but I had this setup on hand, so that's what's going in.  

I'll guess my 68 satellite will have to be the one that gets a v8, whenever I decide to work on it. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
2/17/19 10:21 a.m.

No worries.  I'll still push :) My Firefly got the 305 TBI because that's what fell into my lap at the time. I love doing things on the cheap. By the time the 305 died, a 350 had fallen into my lap.  It cost me more to refresh the 350 than it would have to swap in an LS, but having to re-fabricate headers and everything to make it fit wasn't what I wanted to do.

It would be neat to do the Anglia in what would be a gasser style with what parts would have been available in the UK at the time, like some rowdy straight-4 with open pipes. It would be different.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/17/19 12:11 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

Originally I was thinking gasser 

But the donor car fell into my lap. And I figure if I can fit a fwd width up front most any v8 will fit later if I want to loose a foot of cabin space. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/17/19 12:15 p.m.

Midday update, got it as mocked up as I can without getting steel. And since its Sunday the steel shop is closed. 

Never knew 16s could look so big. But I really like the wheels, I think they look good on it. 

And it's like it was meant to be swapped, the frame rails line right up with the subframe mounting holes on the back. 

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eVCX1wOnWi6pTFag4ZOSNtgROT3rd7CbtzIUsGiW9ev5XZ6E0s2NJbWkGJVVqCij