3 4 5 6 7
Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
2/17/19 1:12 p.m.

Kinda, hard to make the car a ,sleeper, with those wheels.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/17/19 1:12 p.m.

Going try and go get steel tomorrow. But tossed the front end back on to see what it looks like.  

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/17/19 7:33 p.m.
Alfaromeoguy said:

Kinda, hard to make the car a ,sleeper, with those wheels.

Never planned on this one being a sleeper, so I'm ok with it.  I can fit 15s if I want to go that route.  But the Mazda 3 wheels are really growing on me.  

Though I may bolt a 15in on and see what it looks like and yes that's a trailer wheel in that picture. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/17/19 8:21 p.m.

So when is the flathead going in the Mazda?

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/18/19 11:22 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

So when is the flathead going in the Mazda?

When I finish taking what I want of the Mazda. Feel free to do that swap,  it's all yours

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
2/19/19 5:43 a.m.

I wish you were closer, a flat head powered doodle bug would be fun build.  You know something to haul wood out of the forest with.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/20/19 6:36 p.m.

Well had to pick up the garage and the tools scattered around. Got that all done and am going to try and get steel tomorrow while I'm out. 

Then I gotta measure the mounting points on the Mazda 3 and make them on the anglia. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/21/19 9:32 p.m.

Went to buy the steel today.  Called the yard up and they said they had what I needed in stock. Get there, pay for it, then go out to the yard and no one can find it,  apparently they lost the last two sticks. So they ordered up some more but won't be in until Saturday morning but it's not the end of the world.  At least I'll have it for the weekend.  

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/23/19 10:57 p.m.

Got the steel today.  Going start measuring tomorrow. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/24/19 7:46 p.m.

Didn't get to building the frame but did some other work.  

Pulled the bad patches off the floors and pulled the tint. Also pulled the front clip off, I'll make it bolt on later on.  

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/25/19 7:43 p.m.

Played with my cheap lotus plasma cutter tonight. 

Laying out the tube to see where I need to cut.  

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/26/19 7:37 p.m.

Well doesn't look like much progress. But I got the subframe within 1/16 square. Had to get it in place to see how  I'm going lay out the frame rails. 

Had to finally trim the strut towers, knew I'd have to was just waiting to. Nut couldn't center the subframe without doing it. 

I think it is going to have an offset radiator. 

I need to trim the fender to fit so i can see what's really sitting where. But its supposed to rain so wanted to cover the motor back up. 

Though the more I look at it. I think I need to push the engine back another couple inches. Ugh

RichardSIA
RichardSIA New Reader
2/27/19 1:27 a.m.

Funny, the more I look at it, the more I think you need to move the engine back another few feet!

Behind the front seats should do it.

Worked for the Turbo R5 Rally cars. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
2/27/19 6:27 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Well in all honesty I'm building the frame rails so in the future I could easily make it a gasser. 

But got home from work late tonight. So didnt do much beside push it back to roughly where I want it. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
3/8/19 7:30 p.m.

Small progress.

Leveled the car. 

Trimmed up some more

Just have to do a little more trimming and chiseling and I'll be ready to start building the frame rail on the passenger side. The rear will tie into the rear frame rail / spring mount.  

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
3/9/19 2:33 p.m.

Taking advantage of the nice 80 degree day.  

Finally got what I needed to cut out, cut out. Basically the entire factory rails from the front leaf spring mounts forward. 

Had to brace the car off the garage. Wanted to keep leaning over to the garage . 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
3/9/19 7:44 p.m.

Here's were I had to quit because it got dark. 

Used 2x4 for templates 

And steel

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
3/10/19 12:34 a.m.

If anyone wants to donate a hemi, I will gladly rename it to minihemi

Not that much more work to go v8 and gasser at this point. Just lacking money to do it. 

So I guess fwd it is, unless a magic v8 and trans show up.  

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
3/10/19 7:47 p.m.

Frame rails built. Just have to wire wheel them and paint them.  

Need to clean back up the garage. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
3/15/19 11:54 p.m.

Not sure how many are still following. But I'm hoping the steel yard got another 2x3 instock. Changed from the original plan,so I'm going need more. 

Goal for the weekend is to cut out the drivers rusted floor pan and chassis rails. And get the two main rails I built welded in. 

I still have to make the mounts to attach the rear subframe to. But as much as I don't want to pull the engine and subframe out again I think I'm going to have to. 

Here's how she sits so water does not get in places I don't want it. 

rattfink81
rattfink81 New Reader
3/16/19 4:47 a.m.

I’ve been following as I love these little fords and how your building it with what you have. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/16/19 8:17 a.m.
bigfranks84 said:

Not sure how many are still following. But I'm hoping the steel yard got another 2x3 instock. Changed from the original plan,so I'm going need more. 

Yep, I'm following along with all your creative madness although I don't post in here much, because this is above my skills.

How did the plan change?

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
3/16/19 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I was planning on tieing into the factory unibody chassis rails. But after staring at it and talking to our my work neighbor (he builds race cars) decided to cut that all out. But that meant I need roughly 8ft more of tube. And they are out of stock at the steel yard

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
3/16/19 8:31 p.m.

Made some progress today. 

Had to cut out some rot I wasn't expecting to have to.

Got the nuts welded into the frame for the front mounts. 

Got passenger rail in place. 

Ran into a slight clearance issue on the drivers side. So had to notch and box in the frame. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
3/17/19 7:24 p.m.

Progress today.  

Ospho the rocker then zinced it. 

Rocker panel patch made

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nJhkUPJCNspZYMPBYrl3xHir4xF4xXDvxNF0HT8C1jWX4jxEXR8KTmoiU1vByb3x