5 6 7 8 9
TheDoctor
TheDoctor New Reader
2/15/16 9:13 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: If we have a SE Michigan GRM meet this spring/summer you must bring this thing to the party.

That sounds like fun. Where do you usually have them?

TheDoctor
TheDoctor New Reader
2/15/16 9:20 p.m.
TheDoctor wrote: Yes, threaded rod pulls the front and rear sections to sandwich the doors. Aluminum tube is just large enough for the threaded rod, so not too much rattle. Will try to dig up more construction pics of doors. Ideally, I would like to join the front and rear sections structurally and take the body off as one piece. We'll see how these doors hold up in this configuration for now.

If I had the skills, this is what I envision. A structural aluminum frame to join the 2 body shells and a smaller aluminum door that opens. Thanks again Forza for letting me dream!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/16/16 6:54 a.m.

In reply to TheDoctor:
They are impromptu events. Someone decides it's time for one, picks a venue and posts on the forum. We've met at bars, or had a BBQ in a member's back yard.Whatever works.

TheDoctor
TheDoctor New Reader
3/22/16 8:07 p.m.

Hey guys....Just wanted to throw this out there and I'll probably get crucified, but have been thinking about selling the Berkeley lately. I have a 9 year old and a newborn, so a single seat microcar is quickly becoming impractical even for picking up diapers (she doesn't like them smelling like gas). Between the beach buggy, the Jag, and an old model T, I have plenty of other 'family friendly' projects to keep me busy and my spouse is much more supportive of those with seats for the whole family. Am I going to regret selling it someday? Should I tuck it away back in the barn for 10 more years or look at is as the experience and story of building it and move on to other projects? Anyone have stories of the cars they sold and regret?

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/22/16 8:43 p.m.

Did not see that one coming

I dont see that you have much left to prove with this one.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Dork
3/22/16 10:13 p.m.

I you don't need the money very badly then put it away. I regret almost every vehicle and bike that I put sweat equity into and then sold.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
3/22/16 11:38 p.m.

If you sell that car, I will personally drive all the way over there and punch you in the nads. And I don't even live in the States.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
3/23/16 5:38 a.m.

In reply to TheDoctor:

PM'd - I'm probably not in a position to buy it right now, but it would fit nicely in the garage with our 2 other vehicles.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
3/23/16 6:24 a.m.

Sold a Beautiful Red on Tan E30 M3 a few years ago for $7500. Guess what it's worth today. And the CJ7, Grand National, Grand Wagoneer 1st Gen, 85 RX7, 6cy removable roof 4Runner, Suzy Samurai.

I WANT THEM ALL BACK.

If you need a family vehicle I'll trade you even up for a slightly used V70.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe HalfDork
3/23/16 7:11 a.m.

In reply to TheDoctor:

This is an Awesome Car You've built. Looks like you had a GREAT time during the whole process. You're life has changed over the course of time (it was just you and the wife when you bought it). Heck, you can't even take her for a ride in it together (single seat). Do you plan to do any racing with it? Would you buy the car again today as it is? If not, perhaps it IS time to let someone else enjoy it....... Will you regret selling it someday? Perhaps. Will there be other cars you have a relationship with? Definately.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe HalfDork
3/23/16 7:12 a.m.

Oh, and IF you do decide to sell, please give someone here on GRM first opportunity to purchase.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/23/16 7:53 a.m.
IndyJoe said: Would you buy the car again today as it is?

Best way of looking at it I have heard. I might have to apply this to the MGB GT I have had for 37 years? I already know the answer

TheDoctor
TheDoctor New Reader
4/18/16 6:27 a.m.

Nice weather this weekend and car was running great. Finally got a chance to try out the new Camera.

Spring Test Drive

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
4/18/16 7:04 a.m.

Wonderful!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
4/18/16 7:45 a.m.

I like your hat and bow-tie. The handy "viewing port" by your left foot looks convenient for observing suspension dynamics. Do you also own the two vintage cars in the driveway ?

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
4/18/16 8:58 a.m.

I get the whole family thing but watching that video I wouldn't sell it. That looks perfect for a nice quick stress relief from work, spouse and kids. Even if it is only a couple of loops around the block. Just my .02 worth of info from being there and wishing I hadn't done what you are contemplating.

TheDoctor
TheDoctor New Reader
4/18/16 10:08 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

The T Touring car in the garage is mine, had a couple friends over for a '20's party and they brought cars. The Berkeley was getting a lot of attention, so we had to fire it up and do some hot laps.

TheDoctor
TheDoctor New Reader
4/18/16 11:48 a.m.
brad131a4 wrote: I get the whole family thing but watching that video I wouldn't sell it. That looks perfect for a nice quick stress relief from work, spouse and kids. Even if it is only a couple of loops around the block. Just my .02 worth of info from being there and wishing I hadn't done what you are contemplating.

More than anything, it comes down to time and space (doesn't it always). It bothers me to see it sit there neglected and it's probably too hard core to be much other than a race car. I could tuck it away at the family farm again (2 hours away), but then it would be completely neglected and never used for its intended purpose. I would rather someone take it and use it for racing, make it their own, prep it for whatever kind of racing they like and send me awesome pictures that my daughter can hang in her room and say that she grew up building that car. Will I miss it, absolutely, but I still have the experience and memories which take up a lot less space and time... Even without the Berkeley I still have 3 car projects to fit in a suburban 2 car garage. So keep it tucked away neglected or set it free into the world...

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
4/18/16 11:54 a.m.
TheDoctor wrote:
brad131a4 wrote: I get the whole family thing but watching that video I wouldn't sell it. That looks perfect for a nice quick stress relief from work, spouse and kids. Even if it is only a couple of loops around the block. Just my .02 worth of info from being there and wishing I hadn't done what you are contemplating.
More than anything, it comes down to time and space (doesn't it always). It bothers me to see it sit there neglected and it's probably too hard core to be much other than a race car. I could tuck it away at the family farm again (2 hours away), but then it would be completely neglected and never used for its intended purpose. I would rather someone take it and use it for racing, make it their own, prep it for whatever kind of racing they like and send me awesome pictures that my daughter can hang in her room and say that she grew up building that car. Will I miss it, absolutely, but I still have the experience and memories which take up a lot less space and time... Even without the Berkeley I still have 3 car projects to fit in a suburban 2 car garage. So keep it tucked away neglected or set it free into the world...

If you tuck it away in a barn, someone in the future can act out "Red Barchetta" by Rush...You know, after they pass "The Motor Law."

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
4/18/16 12:20 p.m.

HAHAHA Man I'm getting old when I know exactly what JamesMcd said about Rush. That is definitely fitting for the car.

You are correct in that it is a hard decision to make. If you feel it is better off being used for what it was intended then I can't fault you on that. I get in trouble from my wife and friends for selling parts off of cars I've redone that are left over for next to nothing. I feel that it's better to be used than just sit in my garage or shed collecting dust.

So I'm with you and that point. Plus if this was a build just to build it and not some this is a car I'm keeping forever dream car then selling it will be a better choice for you and the car.

TheDoctor
TheDoctor New Reader
4/18/16 7:24 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: If you tuck it away in a barn, someone in the future can act out "Red Barchetta" by Rush...You know, after they pass "The Motor Law."

I guess that will make me the white-haired uncle!

TheDoctor
TheDoctor New Reader
4/18/16 9:13 p.m.

Trying hard to prove the practical side....

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
4/19/16 7:03 a.m.

It looks like a luggage rack could be devised, which would clamp on to the roll bar and cantilever out over the rear deck.

TheDoctor
TheDoctor New Reader
4/30/16 9:47 p.m.

9 years ago today!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
4/30/16 10:19 p.m.

With family photos like that, you totally HAVE to keep the car! Dude! Seriously!

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xjtSPyjDa9ES2eOBqK0UjO5GJG3RWCItJPEcSJrwklv2xYrPU2io94NV5P3q3Bhg