9 10 11 12 13
maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
12/30/18 8:17 a.m.

What type of fittings are supplying oil to the turbo? Looks like nicopp brake lines going into a brass adapter? It turned out very clean

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
12/30/18 8:19 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Yep. I love the way copper nickel looks. Dad did that for me.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/30/18 8:25 a.m.

Looks great. Those hard lines look industrial in the best way!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
12/31/18 10:21 p.m.

It's alive!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ezVknmaOWo

Happy New Years!!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/31/18 10:33 p.m.

Impressive work!  

BeardedOne
BeardedOne New Reader
12/31/18 10:41 p.m.

Excited to see this thing running.  

Happy New Years!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/1/19 9:04 a.m.

yes

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/2/19 7:20 a.m.

You may have noticed in the video a poor idle. I had suspected the intake flange from the beginning and my suspicions we're verified. I had wanted to machine the flange from the beginning, but I was so excited to get the car started, I skipped that step. Turns out it really needed it. Lol. So I put it on the Inline 6 custom intake flange surface flattening machine and we made it right.

Dad and my brother (who was up for a visit) made a gasket as well. Thanks Dad and Cameron.

It idles much better now.

https://youtu.be/ctDQr3UbWMU

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
1/2/19 7:47 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Definitely idling better now. Sounds great!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/2/19 8:10 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
1/2/19 8:41 a.m.

That sounds awesome!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/2/19 9:30 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

Thanks! I think the noises inline 6 cylinders make is half of why I wanted to do the swap. That with turbo noises is about as good as you can get IMO.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/2/19 10:21 a.m.

Nice!  

It seems like there’s a lot of throttle movement before rpm increase.  Do you think that’s due to volume of IC and plumbing?  Or something else?  Or is my observation flawed?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/2/19 10:28 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

No. You are right. It is bogging a bit. I need to do some data logs and see what the O2 sensor is doing. Might be a lean spot. Not sure yet.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
1/2/19 1:33 p.m.

Does that ever make a nice noise. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/3/19 8:40 p.m.

HAPPY NEW YEAR Y'ALL!!!! How can i pick your brain on this tune(hardware/software needed etc) ....and when can we see some 'pull' #'s?......AWESOME WERK!!!!......Hell, can I send the Bravada to y'all with a blank check? wink 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/4/19 5:25 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

If you want to know more about the ECU setup, all you have to do is ask. It is using a Microsquirt. The reason I did not go with the stock computer is because it does not support boost. You can get a later one that has a mass air flow sensor, and make that work, but I personally have more experience with Speed Density.

Microsquirt was the cheapest option to meet my goals. Here is my spreadsheet laying out the I/O. Ignore the column on the right.

With Microsquirt I have to run wasted spark and batch fire fuel. Some people find this to be an anappealing, but it works fine. It just might make you coils life a little shorter. Not a big deal. The part I am particularly excited about is the closed loop boost control.

Hope to be on the Dyno soon. I want to do some street tuning and sort out any issues there before I contact Matt and setup a date.

As far as the Bravada... You're on your own with that one. laugh

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
1/4/19 8:13 a.m.
TheV8Kid said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

If you want to know more about the ECU setup, all you have to do is ask. It is using a Microsquirt. The reason I did not go with the stock computer is because it does not support boost. You can get a later one that has a mass air flow sensor, and make that work, but I personally have more experience with Speed Density.

Are the computer's for the Atlas different then the LS ECM? With the LS ECM can't you tell it you're using a 2-3-4-whatever bar MAP sensor to support boost? And if you can't do that with the Atlas ECM could you maybe use a 0411 ECM from a 4.3 engine and make it work on the Atlas? Obviously you cant go wrong using a Microsquirt but i'm curious if there's a more 'junkyard friendly' way to do boost on the 4.2.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/4/19 8:34 a.m.

In reply to edizzle89 :

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as telling the ECU the scale for the map sensor has changed. With HP tuners (and other tuners I'm sure) on a 0411  ecm you have the ability to apply an enhancement which expands your fuel table and allows you to command values for the expanded map sensor range. With a P12 or E40 (Atlas computers), they do not support that. Without that, you are dead in the water.

There are a few issues with the 0411 ecm. The trigger wheel on an Atlas is completely different. Also a 4.3 has a distributor I think. 

The key for running a boosted Atlas with junkyard parts is:

If you have an 06 and earlier engine, your only option is an 06 computer with mass air flow sensor.

If you have an 08 or 09, they changed to a more traditional 58 tooth trigger wheel. You might be able to come up with a creative solutions for one of these engines, but they aren't very common or plentiful. Maybe a later 4.3 LS style computer would work.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/4/19 8:39 a.m.

Unfortunately these engines are not for the faint of heart. Everything surrounding the engine is custom including engine management.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
1/4/19 12:56 p.m.

I like wasted spark. Seems like an elegant and simple solution. Also, fewer coils = less weight!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/4/19 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

These are all true statements, except in my case, it is the same number of coils, just they are wired in pairs. The later coils are lighter though!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/5/19 2:48 p.m.

Now featuring burnouts!

https://youtu.be/l1s86kIoUR8

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/5/19 5:49 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Yes!!!

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/5/19 6:52 p.m.

Hey....awesome 4.2l bro !!! how does it feel from behind the wheel????  Look I'm 

not the least bit savy on this ECM/megasquirt stuff....the reason I ask, is LooseC with the 

LHU powered MGB EMod (which came in 3rd at nationals last year) is struggling with a bastardized

harness from a less than reputable purveyor (LooseC is already out $650+ ). May I use  you and your wealth

of knowledge to help some fellow G'heads....????

9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HqOfrbGBDkgKUoKc8FzzXpEouQALEd8NMVRcjmBmTghCEDymxoA1cHLAvq5Envk9