mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/24/17 6:27 p.m.

I mean, I grew up looking at things like this in magazines. There are always options.

Nader
Nader New Reader
10/24/17 8:32 p.m.

How about this:  The last decent diesel engine Ford used was the 7.3L Powerstroke.  Made by International Harvester.  Stock is 250 HP, and 500 Ft/lbs.  With bigger single-shot injectors, reflashed ECU to run them, and a more efficient ball-bearing turbo, you can have a safe 400 HP and 700 Ft/lbs.

I think this truck is begging for that diesel swap, which still keeps it in the family.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
10/24/17 8:47 p.m.

MazD......with all due respect, you are in this kneedeep.....throw caution to the wind and find a 2001-4 duramax  LB7 with a ZF sixspeed......330hp/550lbft tq @1800RPM......and yes it has a SNAIL......neighbor has one sporting a mild tune with 500+hp and close to 700lbft tq....just sayin.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
10/24/17 9:08 p.m.

A Ferdinand shirt could save you 15% or more on car insurance*

*i totally made that up

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/24/17 10:02 p.m.
759NRNG said:

MazD......with all due respect, you are in this kneedeep.....throw caution to the wind and find a 2001-4 duramax  LB7 with a ZF sixspeed......330hp/550lbft tq @1800RPM......and yes it has a SNAIL......neighbor has one sporting a mild tune with 500+hp and close to 700lbft tq....just sayin.

I can see this as being the answer as long as you are going to be the only one driving.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/25/17 1:37 p.m.

I love the pictures of people wearing the shirts. Keep that up. laugh

Just spend almost two hours trying to figure out how the browsers on my computer reference time so that I don't have to restart the whole damn machine to get them to recognize new photos for photobucket. I couldn't get it. Not a photobucket issue, nothing in the browser can see a new photo upload. Kind of killed my energy for the day considering I restarted the computer anyway in a rage and probably killed data that I wanted to save. Grrrrrrrr. 

Anyway, I've ordered a hone and started soaking pistons in acetone/atf. Not 100% sure the acetone won't eat through my cut off bottle of choice, so I'm doing it outside. I should know fairly quickly whether it holds or not. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
10/25/17 6:58 p.m.

love the idyllic setting on the back porch/veranda with a pinch of the fall  foliage....suitable for framing.....I've several of those same leaves stashed in the GROSH............don't ask

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
10/25/17 9:14 p.m.

Wagon Sub class for 2018.

Will Ferguson be making an appearance? (please, oh please say yes!)

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
10/26/17 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Nader :

Why not a 6.0?  Still International, probably cheaper to find a good one because most people don't want them.  And all the issues they have can be pre-emptively resolved while it's out of the truck.  Oh, and it's got more power stock, so less need to tinker with stuff majorly. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/27/17 8:50 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

Wagon Sub class for 2018.

Will Ferguson be making an appearance? (please, oh please say yes!)

Fergus has been out of budget since I put new shocks on. It could be argued that I overpaid, but it's still pretty cool, so I'm ok with that. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/27/17 10:27 a.m.

Pulled the first piston out of the bath. It's pitted on the side and one ring was broken. I should throw this motor away. I don't think I'm going to, but I should. We'll see how the other ones go.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
10/27/17 10:35 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

Polish everything from the top ring groove up to eliminate hot spots, then hit it with rings bearings gaskets seals and valve job, and drive it OE while figuring out the longer-term plan.

java230
java230 SuperDork
10/27/17 10:40 a.m.

That's pretty pitted... But my brain just went meh its a tractor engine. Spend as little as possible to get it back together and see if it runs! 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/27/17 10:48 a.m.

If you clean it all up, dingle-ball hone and re-ring, it WILL chooch. How well it will chooch and for how long it will chooch is hard to say.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
10/27/17 10:49 a.m.

If the ring grooves are OK, I bet it would work fine with new rings.  Hone the block and put new rings and bearing in it.

Bet it would work, it's a truck engine,, not a high RPM race engine.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
10/27/17 12:13 p.m.

Meh. It’ll run.

Throw some rods and slugs at it and it’ll benefit longevity, but those pistons will still work...

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
11/4/17 4:34 p.m.

My Ferdinand shirt was appropriate today as I was helping some friends pull a cab off a Unimog. Thanks Mazdeuce!

Slammo

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
11/4/17 7:54 p.m.

Looks more like supervising to me. wink

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/5/17 7:34 a.m.
wlkelley3 said:

Looks more like supervising to me. wink

I've met Slammo, he's got management written all over him. laugh

In other news, you guys have apparently gotten up to so many shenanigans here that GRM is on the list of banned sites in China. Can you imagine what a $2017 Challenge in China would look like? Apparently the censors have and don't want to risk it. The only way to stage our own cultural revolution is to get people on the ground. 

bluej
bluej UltraDork
11/5/17 4:47 p.m.
NOHOME said:

If you clean it all up, dingle-ball hone and re-ring, it WILL chooch. How well it will chooch and for how long it will chooch is hard to say.

This now the COC thread. Cab Over Chooch 

LSxDreamer
LSxDreamer New Reader
11/6/17 11:07 a.m.
Slammo said:

My Ferdinand shirt was appropriate today as I was helping some friends pull a cab off a Unimog. Thanks Mazdeuce!

Slammo

4 doors + bed = will family.  Now I want.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/6/17 3:24 p.m.

Going on in the background of this project has been Mrs. Deuce getting a new job. The details aren't relevant, but we've been income free since before Ferdinand came to live with us. We had solid savings that worked as expected, but there was always an underlying note of "don't do anything stupid" and let's be honest, most of this is stupid.

Today was Mrs. Deuce's first day back at work. Progress should accelerate from here on out.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
11/6/17 4:55 p.m.

I thought you made mention of her starting out on her own as a consultant? 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Reader
11/6/17 5:56 p.m.

I know that place you're in.  We are fixed income now.  Might be time to tap the brakes a wee bit.  To steal  a quote "stupid is as stupid does".  You'll be fine.  Good luck to Mrs. Seth on her new endeavor.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/7/17 6:45 a.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel :

Slightly more complicated than that. She was working, but sometimes things don't go the way you plan.

In reply to Dirtydog :

Unknowns look different when your future income is locked down. On paper we could retire, but doing that would close a lot of doors for us and potentially the kids.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1TjPv94PeRyxDXITITKo5Nqybr36DrbWh1VkzVxYJt6w76oIznikrUlP3QN9Zds1