Greywynd
Greywynd New Reader
11/12/17 10:55 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

The days that you don't feel like doing anything, but end up doing a little here and there, then have a lot accomplished at the end are extremely satisfying. Then there's the other days, where you want, or need to get a lot done, and things just keep going in a bad direction...... well, they just suck!! Lol!

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
11/13/17 3:53 p.m.

While all this frivolity is occurring, what perchance  is  the next step on the AStream? 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
11/13/17 4:31 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:
Willis said:

Nice.   Put one of these before your vacuum and you will drastically increase your vacuums life.   

What you talking 'bout Willis?

How have I not heard of that previously, and why doesn't Ridgid use that design INSIDE every vacuum? 

Thanks for that Sunday morning rabbit hole. 

Damn that's cool. I guess should get one so I can work inside this winter.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/13/17 5:00 p.m.
759NRNG said:

While all this frivolity is occurring, what perchance  is  the next step on the AStream? 

I need to drill out 38 billion rivets to remove the lower interior paneling. Committing to drilling out 38 billion rivets requires more constitution than I've been able to muster. The weather is getting good for it so my excuse list is getting smaller. 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
11/13/17 5:07 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
759NRNG said:

I need to drill out 38 billion rivets to remove the lower interior paneling. Committing to drilling out 38 billion rivets requires more constitution than I've been able to muster. The weather is getting good for it so my excuse list is getting smaller. 

There's a tool for that, and Airstream sells it on their website. Attach it to the drill and have at it without having to dimple each of the rivets.

Then you can get a duecelings a bucking bar and teach them a life skill. FYI the mail carrier loves it when you order a set of the tungsten ones.

mcbacon
mcbacon New Reader
11/14/17 9:46 a.m.
mazdeuce said:

In reply to csmith1510:

Thanks to you I have a kid dancing around my living room like an idiot.
I sent you a PM. If it doesn't show up in your regular email or spam, let me know and I'll figure out how to get ahold of you. The generosity of this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Perhaps a little late, but I've been doing IT work for about 10 years now (if you include when I did it as a hobby) and would love to impart any knowledge I can to PCDeuce.  I have a ton of old technology laying at home that I'd be more than happy to bring down as well if you'd be interested.  I tried to send a PM but I'm not authorized to yet.

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
11/14/17 9:51 a.m.
The0retical said:

There's a tool for that, and Airstream sells it on their website. Attach it to the drill and have at it without having to dimple each of the rivets.

Great, another tool I need to buy. Like my countersink cages, it's nice to have when you need them.

mcbacon
mcbacon New Reader
11/14/17 10:55 a.m.
mazdeuce said:

I have shirts that my kids school printed stuff on that I like from a company called Gildan. It looks like I can get S-XL for $2.50-2.75 each depending on how many I order. XXL is 4.75 and anything above that is $6.50. the design, Ferdinand in the front and a small think twice wrench once logo on the back costs me a $1 in iron on. If you're small-XL I can afford to just send you a shirt for fun. If you're bigger than that I can afford to send you a shirt if you buy beer for people at the Challenge. Anyone who is interested, let me know. I need some new shop shirts and $2.50 each is cheap so I'm going to make an order soon.

A bit late again, but XXL (or XL-T, if they have it) for me, please.  I'll be happy to donate to your favorite charity.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/14/17 1:11 p.m.

In reply to mcbacon :

Send me an email at ttwo.elm @ gmail dot com

laugh

mcbacon
mcbacon New Reader
11/14/17 2:17 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to mcbacon :

Send me an email at ttwo.elm @ gmail dot com

laugh

Done, good sir.  Now that I've caught up on the thread, time to explore more gloriousness on GRM.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/14/17 2:19 p.m.

I've sort of been wandering away from this, and I appologize. Mrs. Deuce has been at her new job for a week now and the world is returning to a normal-ish schedule. I'm mostly caught up on housework and I'm getting just bored enough to get back to work. I have been soaking and messing wiht the pistons. The rings were completely stuck in five out of the eight. Even in the three that weren't stuck I clearly need a lesson on ring removal. 

The last piston is still soaking and I should be able to get to that tomorrow. They all look serviceable.  
I also got more red paint on the bottom of the cab. I don't think there is any way to make this look acceptable to me in real like without taking the cab off, stripping it to metal and going from there. What I'm working with is essentially roller/brush painting the underside of a hood. A really big hood. The cab clearly needs a rotisserie, note for the future. 

I'm going to refer to this paint quality as "photographs well as long as the light is from the wrong direction". I might roll on another coat over the big flat-ish areas to see if I can't visually smooth out the color variations a bit. My quart of International Red is gone which means I'd have to buy another one, so I might just leave it as is and hope that people are wowed by the sight of the engine and ignore what's over their heads. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
11/14/17 2:26 p.m.

"photographs well" is my line...

douglawrence42
douglawrence42 New Reader
11/14/17 7:38 p.m.

I can feel the frustration with endless cleaning and paining coming through.  I hope it does not  put you off the project.  It’s your truck, and your OCD to manage, but old trucks aren’t supposed to be pretty.  Get rust under control by any means necessary, and get it running.  I think once you get there, motivation will return.  Barns aren’t red because that’s pretty, it’s because that was the cheapest way to preserve the wood.  Then form followed function, and now we have people paying ridiculous money to hang old barn wood in their living room.  That was a mostly incoherent rant, but I’m trying to say “not rusting” should be the visual motif for now (and maybe always).  So don’t worry about what the underside of the cab looks like.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Reader
11/14/17 8:15 p.m.

How about some heat shielding where the rough spots are in the middle.  Might save on some toasted buns, as a bonus.

mcbacon
mcbacon New Reader
11/14/17 9:40 p.m.
Dirtydog said:

How about some heat shielding where the rough spots are in the middle.  Might save on some toasted buns, as a bonus.

Toasted buns. Good for all hot dogs but yours.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
11/14/17 11:05 p.m.

Fog it with a sand blaster from several feet. Just enough to take off the shine and make irregularities less noticable. 

A spot blaster will get it done. 

mcbacon
mcbacon New Reader
11/15/17 8:28 a.m.

Without taking the cab off and putting it on a rotisserie, I think it looks pretty damn good. Perfection is the enemy of progress, imho, especially on something this old unless you're going for a Concours level restoration. Ferdinand strikes me as liking the finer things in life, with a heart of gold, but preferring an outward appearance of an old, weathered farmhand who is proud of his blood, sweat, tears, and hard work.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/15/17 8:38 a.m.

The bumpy stuff is a sprayed on heat/sound shield. I'll try and take some pictures of it today. The whole point of painting the bottom was to treat and cover up some minor rust that is starting. It was treated with rust converter and then I needed to cover that up with paint to help it stay converted. I could have just painted the spots that I converted, but that would have looked bad. Like "tropical disease that your wife doesn't believe you got from swimming" bad. That's what led to painting the whole thing. 

I looked at it this morning and I think I'm ok with it. I need to mix up one more batch of paint/hardener to catch a few spots that I missed yesterday and then I'll roll the remainder on the big flat areas to help with cosmetics and then I'm moving on to finish the frame. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Reader
11/15/17 8:53 a.m.

Not a knock.  I was refering to something along the lines of under hood fiberglass matting.   I admire what you are doing.  As a matter of fact every other day, I pass a Ferdinand, same color, languishing in the weeds, on the side of a country road.  I see it, come home, and tune in to follow your progress.   Keep up the good work.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/15/17 8:56 a.m.

The heavier you apply the tractor supply paint the smoother it lays down. Just my experience. 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
11/15/17 9:02 a.m.

Better man than me. I would treated the rust then hit it with bed liner because there's a few self contained options you can spray on. Same with the frame. It does look sharp all painted up like that though.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/15/17 2:35 p.m.

This is what the undercoating on the cab looks like painted. It's a pretty nasty hard substance that may or may not actually insulate and sound deaden. It probably doesn't hurt anyway.

I have a good friend from college that I don't talk to as much as I should. We both have absurdly large families and we live 1200 miles apart. What we still have in common is that our birthdays are just a couple days apart. Every year we have a conversation that revolves around the idea that if one of us is old then both of us must be. Sort of a philosophical and mathematical proof of aging. This year my friend reluctantly admitted that he has started going to the gym. The reason for it has more to do with physical therapy that exercise. We've both independently discovered that we have a sweet spot of activity that keeps us from feeling terrible. Too little activity and we end up with sore backs and creaky joints. Too much activity and sore....everything. So in our own little worlds we try and balance our activity load to pretend that we're not the old men that we're turning into. He has the young guys on his crew lift the heavy stuff, and he hits the gym when he's swamped with office work. I pretend like I have to catch up on housework on days when I spent the day before painting overhead for two hours and grabbing a bowl off the top shelf in the morning is a reminder of my own mortality.
I did drink most of a cup of coffee while contemplating the parts pile in the garage, that's got to count for something.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy New Reader
11/15/17 2:35 p.m.

i wouldn't touch the paint or body until the thing was running, driving, and stopping.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/15/17 2:42 p.m.

In reply to onemanarmy :

That's a little like saying "I'll paint the engine bay after I get the motor back in." 
There are certain things that should probably be addressed while I have two bare frame rails. 

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
11/15/17 3:31 p.m.

From experience, don't let the body rot out from under you while you work on the go bits. Lost a not so good (I loved her anyway) car that way. On a side note, my wife was ecstatic when I sold it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zX9qqqfBrkh2eAyaiAXHLcu2aAma6m1yZglzVNmllJre3KjsHA2AqM3rSO1EGmu2