mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/22/18 8:15 a.m.

If it weren't for the fact that it's the later wide cab version, I'd be all about it. Someone should grab it though, it's cool. 

Nash
Nash New Reader
2/22/18 8:16 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

Late to the game, life has been busy and I am rather behind on the Coe thread! But I am definitely interested in a medium whenever you've got them pressed and ready!

Nash
Nash New Reader
2/22/18 9:02 p.m.
oldopelguy said:

You can sometimes rent the really big sockets designed for 4wd truck front hubs from your local auto parts store. I generally start with channel locks, but for big stuff sometimes it's easier to make the tool. A chunk of plywood, a drill, and if you can find a jig saw you are 10 minutes away from a home made socket.

I know this is SO SO late, but you're basically telling me or anyone that a guy could take say a 2x6 and jigsaw a 2.5" or whatever size needed bolt or nut pattern into it, (maybe have to strap it so it doesn't split?) And essentially Make a giant end wrench with virtually unlimited leverage? That is a lifetime mental note I will be retaining!

mazdeuce - Seth
2/23/18 1:54 a.m.

In reply to Nash :

Unfortunately the mediums have been well and truly gone for a while. I may be doing another run to celebrate driving the truck if I ever get enough other projects done to get back to this. 

As far as the wood socket, the short answer is yes, it works great. The long answer is more that wood is fairly limited torque wise, but it's well worth a try for those random huge fasteners that life throws at you. 

Nash
Nash New Reader
2/23/18 11:23 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Well spoiler alert on it not driving yet. I'm still 20 pages back, but making progress. I totally understand them being gone months later, no hard feelings (but could swing a small too)

I absolutely understand the limited torque but as you said, the random xl bolts thrown at you in life it is worth the effort to try before ordering those one time use tools.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
2/23/18 2:03 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to OldDave :

Two intake options for the future, either the 392, or there is an aluminum 4bbl available for the 345. I'm purposely trying to limit scope creep here. It would be VERY easy to get caught up awesomeness and miss the journey along the way, which is a perfect opening to the last bit of automotive gold from my vacation..........

After the proper museums, and with air temp up to a balmy -6 F, 96extcab blindfolded me and led me to a warehouse with a padlock on the door. We both put on every piece of warm clothing we bought and he slid the door open about 18 inches to keep the cold in (I'm sure it was even colder inside) I was shown each individual truck. Told it's story, where it came from and why. What was wrong with it and where it was going. Twin stick transmissions, transmissions with low, direct and high on the stick giving something like 18 gears. Switches on the dash for slippery. Hundreds of unlabeled pull knobs. This is a collection that is somewhere between a dream and a nightmare. You walk in and are presented with an amazing collection of trucks. The more you learn, sit in them and walk around, the more you see the work, the hours and the dollars needed to get just one of them to where you would want it (I kept thinking of Ferdinand) and then you move on to the next one. And the next one. And you add up hours and it all becomes sort of overwhelming. 
Like both of the museums, I could have spent a whole day here, if not more, photographing and writing down what I learned. Instead we walked and talked and I sat in the trucks and opened the hoods and crawled underneath them. I finally took off my gloves and snapped pictures until I couldn't hold the camera any more, about five minutes. 

Special attention to two trucks in the warehouse. The first is Stubby. This is a 1966 International, just like Ferdinand, but with a wheelbase slightly over six feet. It's the clown car of trucks, absurdly cool. 

The second is the green fire truck in the background of this shot, and in the shot after it. I've been subtly trying to convince 96extcab that he wants me to drive it home for a project. It's 4x4, super singles on all four corners, and in great shape. Because of it's location in the building there's no way to take good pictures of it, but I'm sure it would look just fine in my yard. 

I can't tell if this is a cautionary tale or an instruction book or an opportunity. I do know I need to go back when it's warmer, when we can bring some big charged batteries and fire a few of them up. I want to bring back a pocket full of cash but I'm pretty sure Mrs. Deuce is going to read this and have my name taken off the bank account. 

sorry to quote the pics (but they are amazing), but is this a holding area for a/the museum or another operation all together?   Who takes care of all these?  Are they ever for sale?  so many wants right now.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/23/18 2:27 p.m.

In reply to onemanarmy :

They belong to 96extcab and his dad. Mostly his dad who is a really cool guy to talk to about trucks. This is just their stuff, they're that cool. 96extcab has hinted that most everything is for sale after a fashion, so dropping him a message might lead you down a very dangerous path. I'm still trying my best not to offer him a stack of cash for the yellow 4x4. 

96extcab
96extcab New Reader
2/23/18 7:10 p.m.

Yay! Seth thinks we're cool!

But, yeah...that's just a mass of crap dad has acquired, and I've developed an interest in by proxy. And most things always have a price...

ronniejay
ronniejay New Reader
2/24/18 4:35 p.m.

When I saw this in a tv commercial, I thought of how your grosh or kitchen could have turned out.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd87/rondoris/IMG_4671_1.jpg

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
2/24/18 7:03 p.m.

In reply to 96extcab :

Is that big Dodge tanker 6x6?

mazdeuce - Seth
2/24/18 7:47 p.m.

In reply to ronniejay :

I was just at a friends house and saw the commercial for the first time. I was immediately lamenting my lack of vaulted ceilings. I would do that in a heartbeat. 

96extcab
96extcab New Reader
2/25/18 9:48 p.m.
Cotton said:

In reply to 96extcab :

Is that big Dodge tanker 6x6?

It's not. Just has beefy front tires on it. Sadly we have 2. That one is Cummins powered, and the other has a Cat.

Nash
Nash New Reader
3/2/18 11:56 p.m.

https://grandforks.craigslist.org/cto/d/1956-metro-int/6516211057.html

Another international oddball. One I haven't seen before, unfortunately chopped but could be a cool rig

mazdeuce - Seth
3/3/18 2:08 p.m.

In reply to Nash :

I think they usually call those milk trucks. There is a place in Austin that I drive by that has three of them out front. They're super cool looking though I've never seen one that isn't yard art. Maybe someday. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/3/18 4:37 p.m.

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/198649/riding-on-metro-oh-1960

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
3/14/18 4:15 a.m.

I'm here to share some video inspiration in case the doldrums of daily life have slowed down your project passion:

mazdeuce - Seth
3/14/18 6:47 a.m.

In reply to Slammo :

And now I want to put the motor in so I can drive it 200 feet to the Grosh and take it back apart to build suspension. Damn you slammo! laugh

corybrown50
corybrown50 New Reader
3/20/18 10:26 a.m.

Don't know why, but pulled tree stands yesterday with a buddy and came across this....thought of you. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/20/18 2:02 p.m.

In reply to corybrown50 :

I'm not going to say I'm headed there, but I do understand the path taken. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/20/18 2:59 p.m.
Just catching up on the last couple of months of Ferdie.

Slammo said:

I'm here to share some video inspiration in case the doldrums of daily life have slowed down your project passion:

Are those some kind of hydraulic bump stop rather than rubber?  The kind of look like old bumper shocks or even train shocks pointing down.

java230
java230 SuperDork
3/20/18 3:07 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

Yes, Hydro bump stops. 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
3/20/18 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

They're air bumps.  They soften the last few inches of travel when landing.  

mazdeuce - Seth
3/20/18 3:13 p.m.

That is to say, both air and hydraulic bump stops are available depending on exactly what you're trying to do and what sort of budget you have. The world of bypass shocks and proper desert suspension is fascinating.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
3/20/18 3:41 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

That is to say, both air and hydraulic bump stops are available depending on exactly what you're trying to do and what sort of budget you have. The world of bypass shocks and proper desert suspension is fascinating.

and expensive! I love all the angles on the suspensions to achieve desired travel and force dampening at certain points in the travel arcs, while mimicking straight lines. Those under vehicle shots are always so cool.

mazdeuce - Seth
4/3/18 10:49 a.m.

I've been doing nothing and I'm lame. Let's just start with that so nobody gets their hopes up. What has happened is this. 

Combine the Cadillac moving to a new home with both of the Miatas that I've been babysitting going home and all of a sudden I have room. Not a ton of room, but quite a lot more than I did two weeks ago. The Grosh now looks like this. 

And that's what it's going to look like every morning when Mrs. Deuce goes to work. I'm giving that parking spot to the Volt so that I have clear access to the working side of the garage every day instead of having to move the V-Wagon to do any real work. I have a bit of a backlog, but now I can shuffle cars and have a covered place outside to paint the cross members and when I finally get the heads assembled and on, I can easily roll the motor out. I'm swelling with motivation for the first time in a while. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tXt9ZIUVcvrnsEBPsxm1fy0qOyo5a5TUH8YmBwu2hetinkIDOVUMzta2WLtAUBx8