1 2 3
MarshHoltRacing
MarshHoltRacing New Reader
5/26/18 9:29 a.m.

I bought this Renault R10 from a guy out in the mojave and drove it back to the Bay Area.  We had no issues and did 60-65mph most of the way. Since then, I drove it to Laguna Seca Last weekend for the Spring Classic. Im still getting used to the quirks on the car and assessing what needs to be fixed, but its a fun little car!

water cooled I4 1108cc, disks all around, rack & pinion, 4 speed, lowered(torched coils, but the ride isnt terrible) 13x6 3x150mm steelies.

My plan is stiffer springs, swaybar, 13" 3pc Gotti's, guages, Longtube header, Single DCOE style EFI with a simple MS1 batchfire & wasted spark

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
5/26/18 9:33 a.m.

Very cool car, never seen one in person. Looks like you have a very solid base to build from, no rust at all that I can see.

On a side note, what chairs are those??? They look much better than the bulky ones I have for when we go camping.

MarshHoltRacing
5/26/18 9:43 a.m.

Theres a bit of rust on the c pillar on the drivers side, but im not going to worry about it. It has a bit of a rough respray anyway.

The chars are these: https://www.strongbackchair.com/collections/low-gravity-collection

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
5/26/18 9:57 a.m.

In reply to MarshHoltRacing :

Ordered! yes

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/26/18 10:02 a.m.

Very pimpy ride sir.  3x150mm is a nutty bolt pattern.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
5/26/18 10:21 a.m.

Beautiful! This is such a neat car. More pics please! I've never seen one in person.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
5/26/18 10:45 a.m.

I'm in love. 

My own R10 was too far gone to save. I still think about it regularly. 

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
5/26/18 10:57 a.m.

I keep coming back and looking at the pictures. Its such a cool car. 

Any pics of the engine, interior? 

Are the discs brakes all around factory or aftermarket? I know nothing about these. 

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
5/26/18 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

The R10 was the first small family sedan available in the US with 4 wheel discs. It's a primitive setup that mounts the thin rotors behind the hubs. 

MarshHoltRacing
5/26/18 7:10 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

And these are the Gotti's Im looking for.

There is a later 1289cc for sale in LA that I'm considering grabbing. Would like to build a streetable N/A motor with a hotter cam and higher compression. But I live in an apt and Im currently building an ITB turbo motor for my SIMCA there(also a rear engine watercooled french car). Unless the GF lets me build a spare Renault motor in the kitchen, Im going to stick to less radical modifications.

MarshHoltRacing
5/28/18 1:31 p.m.

On our way back from Laguna Seca, the generator light came on(I however, did not realize it was the gen light: its green, so I figured it was the "ign on" light, and I figured I just didn't notice it before.) So we had to push start it coming out of a gas station in santa cruz. 

I determined it was the voltage regulator that was faulty, and instead of replacing it with another Borg-werner unit, I swapped the 20lbs of generator,harness, and regulator out for a 90A mini Denso unit. It weighs 5 lbs and nearly fit perfectly in the same spot. The adjustment bracket needed a bit of a curve to reach the ear, However. 

Luckily, I build industrial lasers at work, so I drew up a bracket and cut a new one out of .125" CRS and the charging system is back in business.

I have ordered a longtube header from france, a single DCOE/DHLA Mangoletsi manifold  from England, and a used DellOrto DHLA on ebay. This way, I can swap the dellorto out with a jenvey/borla tb down the road.

I also sewed up a tool roll out of some duck canvas and an old leather belt to keep in the trunk:

Anyone know of a good way to build a classic monza/ansi/abarth sounding exhaust? Im thinking a turbo style muffler right after the header, then a good length of tube after to mellow it out. The stubby tuner exhaust is obnoxious, especially since I live in an appt. 

cj32769
cj32769 New Reader
5/28/18 2:33 p.m.

I was able to find the pieces to put my last one together off ebay. I have an oval 924 style ansa tip thats never been used. Problem I had with the vintage dual tip was that it blew out its guts pretty quick. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/28/18 7:37 p.m.

Sweet ride!

MarshHoltRacing
6/3/18 7:29 p.m.

Got my header in from France and a used dellorto DHLA. UPS says the Mangoletsi manifold should be delivered tomorrow. I really want to drive this next weekend to Sonoma,  so I have some work to do on the linkage and the rejetting/adjusting the new carb.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/3/18 8:02 p.m.

Cool little car, but since it's French I think you need Facom tools for your tool roll instead of Craftsman.  smiley

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
6/3/18 8:46 p.m.

Rear engine cars can be a huge pain to get a proper, not embarrassingly loud exhaust on. The pipe is just so damn short!

Try to get a few extra bends in it. My Ansa system looked like this 

But I would have preferred it quieter. I was hesitant to run it from one side of the car to the other because I was afraid of it looking too much like a Volkswagen.  The turbo was the only thing making it liveable. 

My next exhaust will have a twin loop muffler

MarshHoltRacing
6/3/18 11:25 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

Yeah no kidding. I might designed myself in a corner with this competition header. The collector turns 90 degs right under the rear pinch seam. Not alot of room to hide a muffler or a mess of pipes.  Slim pickin's for headers for the 688.  I might just throw a long glass pack on it, paint it black and turn it out. It might mellow it out, might not. I can always change it down the road. the resonator on it before didnt do it any favors. 

I was considering a turbo, but I would like to build a big bore 810 motor for this later, maybe even supercharged. Besides, Im building a turbo ITB system for my SIMCAcool

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
6/4/18 9:01 a.m.

From my experience.  The 1.75" bore 14" long cherry bomb is not enough

It is probably responsible for 40% of my tinnitus.  When I did get around to bolting the turbo onto the fiat I had neighbors from 4 blocks away asking me what was wrong with my car because it wasn't waking them up at 5:30 AM anymore. 

MarshHoltRacing
6/4/18 9:33 a.m.

Yeah your probably right. A glasspack wont make it better. Its really too bad because they are so compact

Well I hemmed and hawed last night and bought what I think is a 3 chamber turbo muffler and a few u-bends from summit

MarshHoltRacing
6/4/18 10:10 p.m.

Got some bits in the mail. o2 bungs, 1.75" flex joint, and v band clamp. They fit perfectly on the 45mm tube after the collector.

Also got the Mangoletsi Manifold in. Trying to figure out the linkage now. There is some trimming to get the manifolds to sit flat. Also I need to figure out some kind of conical washer that will evenly put pressure on both manifolds.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
6/5/18 5:31 a.m.

If you can fit longer studs, then you can use some short pieces of thick wall tubing.   Cut the tubing to fit each manifold, the nut side of the tube will be flat and the manifold side will have a step to fit the two manifolds.   The intake was made to match the original exhaust, the other option, mill the intake to match the header.   You can find a bunch of different tubing at Aircraft spruce.  Thats what I did on my fiat X1/9.

MarshHoltRacing
6/5/18 9:13 a.m.

Thats a great idea! I build tube & sheet fiber lasers at my work, maybe i have a small thickwall tube on hand to cut. Thanks!

coexist
coexist Reader
6/5/18 10:48 a.m.

Nice looking car.

I was wondering if you could you some Belleville washers combined with brass or bronze locknuts and the standoffs mentioned above.

MarshHoltRacing
6/5/18 6:19 p.m.

Cut these on the tube laser. Might need thicker wall tubing, but I had it laying around. Drawn in solidworks and converted to laser friendly 4 axis on our software. Im going to trim the flanges and try these out when i get home

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/5/18 7:25 p.m.

In reply to MarshHoltRacing :

Awe...some!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oftArTxFe6F0QBbIeh2ZecvbMci0w66yRdXG09WtOkfzVScleYD2mfr9mosconFp